Hooks on a bx bucket

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Some lighter-duty FELs have only ONE hyd cyl for curling the bucket in the center of the bucket. Heavier duty FELs have dual curling cyls, one at each arm of the FEL. The strongest place to place hooks is directly in front of the cylinders. Two are better than one if you lift un-equally balanced items or items likely to shift, IMO.

I agree 100% with George. If one cylinder, hook(s) in the middle, if 2 cylinders, hooks on the bucket in line with each cylinder. reason being is, most everyone gets a material bucket (though Kubota offers an excavation bucket as an option that is much more robust). The light duty material bucket really is ill equipped to take the stress of hooks anywhere but inline with the cylinders and you could cause the bucket to crack from the stress.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I'm going to order some of Ken's Bolt Ons for my bucket and wondered about the best set up. Saw some that have hooks and clevis's on the end near the lift arm and another hook in the middle, some with just three hooks (outside and middle), some with hooks on the outside and clevis in the middle.

What do you find is the most versatile for most jobs?

Thanks
Just so it's public, here was me reply to Duthchii's email that he had sent asking this same basic question.:

Dutch,
It's very hard for me to tell people what combinations to buy since I don't know how they use or intend to use their machines, this is why we have the options. Overall, just two hooks is by far the most popular option, many customers opt for the third center hook, and some others do the three hooks and two clevis' like you see pictured on the website.
If you're unsure for now, just get the two hooks, it's always easy to add more in the future should you decide you need more options.

Reactions: 1 users

dutchii

May 26, 2020
Milan, Michigan
Just so it's public, here was me reply to Duthchii's email that he had sent asking this same basic question.:
Thanks Kenny, I have a reminder in my calendar to check after Jul 1st to see if they are back in stock and will start with 3 hooks, each end and one in the middle. Take care and be safe Dutch

Reactions: 1 user

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
What about a skid-steer 4 in 1 bucket? I'm about to take delivery of my new MX 5200 with 4 in 1 and wondering where I can mount hooks?

Trackerjoe

Equipment
B2650
Oct 31, 2018
Spokane, WA
Had someone suggest putting them INSIDE the bucket to protect against possible damage if the cable/chain were to break... Is this a valid concern?

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
What about a skid-steer 4 in 1 bucket? I'm about to take delivery of my new MX 5200 with 4 in 1 and wondering where I can mount hooks?
Hooks welded inside my BX 4in1 bucket, also the tooth bar installed at the time of the pic

The lines on top of the bucket for the clam cylinders get in the way of them going on top anyway.
Also when inside they are welded on two faces.

Another thing with the 4in1 and having them inside is you can lift a load under the pins by opening the clam so your sling drop straight down rather than over the lip of the bucket

I mostly have the tooth bar removed
IMG_20190609_093721.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
The hole sizes are to suit a 4.7t shackle (standard 4wd recovery shackle)
I normally leave some attached

I can then run the drag chain though shacle or attach a slink or strap
I also have some clevis ends with a few links of chain to go on the shackles.

Works out nice a flexible but if the truth is known at the time I just welded on some steel from my scrap bin

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Had someone suggest putting them INSIDE the bucket to protect against possible damage if the cable/chain were to break... Is this a valid concern?
In my opinion, it is not really a concern on small tractors. We are mostly using 5/16 or 3/8 chain that sub-50 HP machine can't realistically break.

No you will read all kinds a things that "could" happen....but if you're pulling that hard you should be using the drawbar anyway, not the FEL.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia