Hooking up PTO question

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I am a new Kubota owner with a B2610. I have had good success hooking up the 3 point hitch several times. today, we hooked up our bush hog-the 3 point hookup went fine, but we had trouble with the PTO.
We can shorten the shaft enough, but can't seem to get the splines aligned. We sometimes can rotate the bush hog drive shaft a little, but it is not predictable where it stops relative to the spline alignment.
The question-is there a way to put the PTO in "neutral" so we can hand rotate the PTO shaft when trying to align the splines and connect the driveshaft??

thanks for your help.
Vann

Jhilde

Equipment
B2650
Apr 26, 2021
Saskatchewan
If you put the pto lever in the mid position it should release it and you will be able to turn it about 1/4 turn. That's how my b2650 is anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
1st time is the hardest…after I struggled the very first time, I found/believe it easier to slide on when the alignment of the shaft and the PTO is fairly close to level(twisting the shaft is just trial and error…couple times it will be easier)…for me I lift the 3 pt just a little and it seems like that is the magic touch to help it align and slide on…could be a coincidence but it sure seems to work for me. When I have tried to slide the shaft with implement on the ground it seems to me like, there is very little room to really get a hold of the shaft (don’t make it weird) and the. Also seems like since it is awkward and not such a good hold it’s also at an angle and I think the combination of those things don’t allow for a simple alignment…when it’s all lined up seems to slip on effortlessly. Good luck.

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm concerned with your statement about not being able to shorten the shaft enough to hook up to the tractor. I trim my shafts enough so that I can disconnect the shaft from the tractor at any place from the lowest to the highest point of 3PH travel.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"but can't seem to get the splines aligned."

If for whatever reason the two pieces come apart - the male end and the female end ........... they will ONLY go back together ONE way and only that way!

You can play the guessing game - or look at the "yoke" on one end and then align the yoke on the other in the same exact rotational degree. IF it does not slide in........ then spin ONE and only one 180 degrees and it should slide in.

Really need to keep the male and female parts very clean - light oil is fine, but heavy grease will attract dirt and more - making it hard to engage.

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
thanks for all of the replies.
There is a lot to learn. My last tractor was a 1963 MF35 which I am trying to sell now. the Kubota is very different !
Just a follow-up to McFarmall-I was able to get the shaft shortened to the correct link. The bush hog had not been used for a couple of years and the 2 driveshaft pieces were stuck. Once we pulled off the plastic guard, a smart hammer, some oil and they spread as they were supposed to. Now they move freely the entire length.
What type off lubrication do you suggest for the 2 driveshaft pieces?
thanks again to all responders
Vann

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
thanks for all of the replies.
There is a lot to learn. My last tractor was a 1963 MF35 which I am trying to sell now. the Kubota is very different !
Just a follow-up to McFarmall-I was able to get the shaft shortened to the correct link. The bush hog had not been used for a couple of years and the 2 driveshaft pieces were stuck. Once we pulled off the plastic guard, a smart hammer, some oil and they spread as they were supposed to. Now they move freely the entire length.
What type off lubrication do you suggest for the 2 driveshaft pieces?
thanks again to all responders
Vann
I always use grease on the driveshaft.

Reactions: 1 users

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I put a mark to indicate a splines valley on the implement side of the pto shaft. This helps to line things up, try the best you can to keep the two lined up on the same plane.
Enjoy your new machine!

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
As mentioned before putting the pto selector into the mid position will release the rear pto but it may still be a little stiff mine was

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've been using the red lidded spray can of Rust-Check for a few years. You only need a light cost of 'oily stuff'.
I used to put the tiller on as follows
lower right link
top link
pto shaft
lower left link

this sequence gave me more 'elbow room' to get the shaft on....

once you find a 'system that works for you , WRITE IT DOWN, cause next time, you'll ah, umm, hmmm, what was it again ????????