Homemade Grapple

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
Finally all painted - done. Decided to my a grapple and save some heavy lifting. Had no plan, just added to the quick attach frame I had made for a set of forks. Just have to slide the forks off and attach the lower prongs, attach the grab hook part with hydraulic cylinder. Hooked it up to the 3rd function I installed February and it worked "who new".

Attachments

Reactions: 14 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I like it! I've thought much about making something similar for handling trees/logs, I don't really have brush to deal with.

Do you know the total weight of it?

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
I like the way you built yours. It's a lot lighter than what I did and gives you more visibility. I added mine to the bucket. I didn't have any other attachments at the time. I have some forks, now. I have thought about making one for the forks, but haven't, yet. This one will still pick up more than my tractor wants to carry, though. By far the best and most useful attachment I have for around my land or helping out friends, family, neighbors, etc.
The part that attaches to the bucket is made from an old truck receiver I had laying around and some scrap metal. It bolts to the bucket. The clamp and bottom part is all from scrap metal. Both of them attach by pins, so I can remove them with no tools. Really, the only thing I had to buy was the hoses, fittings, and cylinder. I love this thing.
Good job on making yours!

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
my guess is 555s grapple might weigh 200-220# total,based on 2x2x.125 HSS being 3# a foot.

he shows what can be done with a little thinking ,some steel and time.
Bet it was a FUN project too !

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
I like it! I've thought much about making something similar for handling trees/logs, I don't really have brush to deal with.

Do you know the total weight of it?
I did weigh individual pieces and I'm thinking its a little more than the bucket not including the Hyd. cylinder. Its fitted to a B2601 so I will watch what I lift thks

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
I like the way you built yours. It's a lot lighter than what I did and gives you more visibility. I added mine to the bucket. I didn't have any other attachments at the time. I have some forks, now. I have thought about making one for the forks, but haven't, yet. This one will still pick up more than my tractor wants to carry, though. By far the best and most useful attachment I have for around my land or helping out friends, family, neighbors, etc.
The part that attaches to the bucket is made from an old truck receiver I had laying around and some scrap metal. It bolts to the bucket. The clamp and bottom part is all from scrap metal. Both of them attach by pins, so I can remove them with no tools. Really, the only thing I had to buy was the hoses, fittings, and cylinder. I love this thing.
Good job on making yours!
Thanks yours is similar to the way I did mine

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice work fellas!

I love the ingenuity of both designs.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Nice work 555. Looks great. A grapple has been on my list of things to build now for a little bit. I was also thinking of using my forks attachment and removing the forks when using the grapple forks. I was thinking of building it so the hydraulics and cylinder would always remain on the attachment. The more I thought about it and the more pics I see I’m leaning towards just making it its own attachment.

Equipment
B2601
Sep 15, 2022
Ontario
Nice work 555. Looks great. A grapple has been on my list of things to build now for a little bit. I was also thinking of using my forks attachment and removing the forks when using the grapple forks. I was thinking of building it so the hydraulics and cylinder would always remain on the attachment. The more I thought about it and the more pics I see I’m leaning towards just making it its own attachment.
Your idea is exactly how I did mine