Hoist Ring Tie Down?

TruckCo12

Equipment
MX5400
Jul 23, 2021
Virginia
I have a new MX5400 and have been thinking of ideas to make securing my tractor on the trailer easier, protect that nice new paint (I know it’s a tractor 🤷‍♂️), and I just like tinkering with stuff. I was thinking of picking up a pair of used hoist rings and placing one on each side of the front of the tractor where there is already a hole in the frame near the brush guard. Very similar to the location of the Ai2 tie down kit for the BX tractors. There is only have 1 hole tho and I don’t want to drill anymore so this seems like a solution (strength, swivel, single hole mount). I read a post somewhere with the idea but no further details. While they are usually ridiculously expensive new, you can get them used for not too terribly more than say a D-ring considering the strength/swivel factor.

-Any thoughts on this being a good or bad idea?

-What size would I need to loop 3/8 g70 chain through them?

-Better method to attach chain to them? Was thinking of keeping the chain with hook on it as opposed to adding a shackle or something just for the versatility of the chain when it’s not holding the tractor down but open to suggestions.

-Any other ideas all together?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a new MX5400 and have been thinking of ideas to make securing my tractor on the trailer easier, protect that nice new paint (I know it’s a tractor 🤷‍♂️), and I just like tinkering with stuff. I was thinking of picking up a pair of used hoist rings and placing one on each side of the front of the tractor where there is already a hole in the frame near the brush guard. Very similar to the location of the Ai2 tie down kit for the BX tractors. There is only have 1 hole tho and I don’t want to drill anymore so this seems like a solution (strength, swivel, single hole mount). I read a post somewhere with the idea but no further details. While they are usually ridiculously expensive new, you can get them used for not too terribly more than say a D-ring considering the strength/swivel factor.

-Any thoughts on this being a good or bad idea?

-What size would I need to loop 3/8 g70 chain through them?

-Better method to attach chain to them? Was thinking of keeping the chain with hook on it as opposed to adding a shackle or something just for the versatility of the chain when it’s not holding the tractor down but open to suggestions.

-Any other ideas all together?
On a BX not a M series but same thought.......

Loops were less than 10 bucks each.

One hole was there already - I drilled the other - grade 8 bolts

a 5/16 chain hook will go through and attach to the binding chain.

Straps also work well too ! I have used these hooks several times on road trips.
2014-06-25 18.01.47.jpg

2014-06-25 18.02.03.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

TruckCo12

Equipment
MX5400
Jul 23, 2021
Virginia
I wasn’t asking anything regarding the law when it comes to securing the tractor. What I was trying to avoid was drill a second hole for an attachment method that requires a second bolt when I can potentially add a method that’s potentially stronger and can use the a hole from the factory. If I drilled a second hole it would end up being right next to this one.

TruckCo12

Equipment
MX5400
Jul 23, 2021
Virginia
On a BX not a M series but same thought.......

Loops were less than 10 bucks each.

One hole was there already - I drilled the other - grade 8 bolts

a 5/16 chain hook will go through and attach to the binding chain.

Straps also work well too ! I have used these hooks several times on road trips. View attachment 63557

View attachment 63555
That’s exactly what I am trying to accomplish! I was just trying to avoid drilling a hole and use the hoist ring instead.

KbotaL185DT

Equipment
Kubota L185DT (sold),Kubota B7800, LA402, 5 foot Bush Hog Squealer
May 29, 2020
Rangeley, Maine
Use a heavy gauge angle iron and you can space your holes to match factory bolt holes. Sturdy and easy. You could always weld gussets on to it from additional strength.
354A19E5-1BEC-4F56-B45D-1225E030375A.jpeg
912C021E-D49D-4349-8CE1-5F35A89D5C8B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
I assume you are referring to solid cast type hoisting rings. If that is what you are wanting to use, you should be good. I have used those for lots of similar things. They are very strong. Just be sure to ones that are big enough (not the 1/4" variety!)

TruckCo12

Equipment
MX5400
Jul 23, 2021
Virginia
Yes those are the hoist rings I was referring to. However I ended up going with some swivel anchor (bolt style) instead. They have been shipped but I haven’t received them yet so can’t speak to how they work yet.