Hills

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Thanks again for all the great advice!

I started a thread more specifically asking for advice on spacers, so as not to get too far off topic in this thread. If you'd like to chime in there, I'm all ears.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
My property is very hilly too and it limits what I can do for sure but I've learned, and as others have said, going straight up/down is WAY more stable than anything that tips the tractor to the side. If it's really steep and/or wet there's still a chance of losing traction and being at the mercy of gravity. I have had that happen once (at least significantly) and I immediately dropped the box blade as a backup brake. It worked but it wouldn't count on always thinking of that or doing it in time.

I added a ballast weight of about 650 lbs on my 3 point and it made a huge difference in stability. Just the last few days I've been moving fill dirt down a short but steep drive. I wouldn't consider heading down it with a loaded bucket and no ballast. Forward tips are a risk too but if you follow the advice here and keep the load low, the tip will stop when the bucket hits the ground.

Based on how much the ballast weight helped I'll probably eventually fill the tires. Weight is your buddy if it's close to the ground ...and your worst enemy if it's above your COG.

Stay safe.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Weight is your buddy if it's close to the ground ...and your worst enemy if it's above your COG.
The engineer in me HAS to correct this. Weight will not be above or below the COG. It will raise or lower the COG accordingly. So weight is your friend as long as it does not raise the center of gravity.

There, I feel better now. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The engineer in me HAS to correct this. Weight will not be above or below the COG. It will raise or lower the COG accordingly. So weight is your friend as long as it does not raise the center of gravity.

Just a tech but I earned to speak 'engineer' a long ago.
What I hear is , heavy stuff low is good, heavy stuff high is bad.
Then the operator breaks in and says " All I want to know is how much and how high before I flip this puppy'

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Just a tech but I earned to speak 'engineer' a long ago.
What I hear is , heavy stuff low is good, heavy stuff high is bad.
Then the operator breaks in and says " All I want to know is how much and how high before I flip this puppy'
A perfect interpretation! :LOL:

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi, Another new B2601 and new tractor owner here ... um, can I reverse up a hill with my mid-mount mower?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Hi, Another new B2601 and new tractor owner here ... um, can I reverse up a hill with my mid-mount mower?
Yes. However, with my B2601, I would mow straight up and straight down.
I found it easier.

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Actually, while the center of gravity does shift with the addition of the weight, the added weight will actually VERY LIKELY be at a different position than the resulting COG, unless the weight was added at the exact horizontal position (in a plane perpendicular to the pull of gravity) of the center of gravity before the weight was added...

While in that case the COG would not have moved vertically, it would move horizontally towards the added weight.

Glad you feel better though! LOL

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Would spacers and wheel weights be too much? Do wheel weights add stress to the axle, or since they should be supported by the wheels, are they safe? Do wheel weights provide any noticeable improvement if the tires are already filled?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And why pray tell will wheel spacers void your warranty? And dont fall for the cock and bull story they will kill the axel bearings yadayadayada. I have heard all kinds of stories about wheel spacers from dealers, none of which have proven to be true, if they were then tractors would not have expandable wheel setting! 2 inch spacers make a world of difference I just got mine on and there is a noticeable difference. Who would have thought 4 more inches would make that much difference? I know somebody is going to say they had 4 more inches,, perverts! ;)

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
And why pray tell will wheel spacers void your warranty? And dont fall for the cock and bull story they will kill the axel bearings yadayadayada. I have heard all kinds of stories about wheel spacers from dealers, none of which have proven to be true, if they were then tractors would not have expandable wheel setting! 2 inch spacers make a world of difference I just got mine on and there is a noticeable difference. Who would have thought 4 more inches would make that much difference? I know somebody is going to say they had 4 more inches,, perverts! ;)
Thanks! I’m debating between 2” and 3”. Maybe 2.5” is the answer, haha.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Actually, while the center of gravity does shift with the addition of the weight, the added weight will actually VERY LIKELY be at a different position than the resulting COG, unless the weight was added at the exact horizontal position (in a plane perpendicular to the pull of gravity) of the center of gravity before the weight was added...

While in that case the COG would not have moved vertically, it would move horizontally towards the added weight.

Glad you feel better though! LOL
"It will raise or lower the COG accordingly."
Pretty sure I said that.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
"It will raise or lower the COG accordingly."
Pretty sure I said that.
No, actually what you said was:

"The engineer in me HAS to correct this. Weight will not be above or below the COG."

No big deal. Just pointing out that your statement was not accurate... OF COURSE you did not say ADDED weight! Just gave you and out! LOL

The point of the original post was ADDED weight if I remember correctly. This could just be semantics at this point...

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
No, actually what you said was:

"The engineer in me HAS to correct this. Weight will not be above or below the COG."

No big deal. Just pointing out that your statement was not accurate... OF COURSE you did not say ADDED weight! Just gave you and out! LOL

The point of the original post was ADDED weight if I remember correctly. This could just be semantics at this point...
You are exactly right. Any given piece of weight will almost certainly be located other than at the COG, and will therefor shift the COG. I was so focused on the importance of the resulting COG that I didn't even catch my error.

I'll keep it simple. Keeping the ROPS up and COG low are good things. How's that? :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

Orange L4310

Equipment
L4310, GR2110, Deere 450b
Oct 31, 2022
Appalachia
Does anyone have any tips on how I can figure out what is safe and where it becomes dangerous? A lot of people talk about learning with experience, but until I roll it, how am I supposed to know what is too far?
I’ve tipped lawn tractor, side x side, had compact tractor on 3 wheels. Travel speed makes a huge difference. If you’re going quick, when it goes it goes quick. If moving slowly, you have time to stop it or at least cross your arms across your chest to avoid broken arms. Slipping over edge and unseen holes in side slope are usually where tipping begins.
My current plan with new tractor on new property is to install an inclinometer/lev-o-gauge then chain/strap tractor between two trees and pull it over to the tipping point.