Hey sheep farmer

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
He's doing much better! Thanks skeet.

(He, in this case, is my old buddy a horse, I've had for 14 years. He had to have emergency colic surgery about 3 weeks ago and nearly died, was pretty doggone sick for a few days, and wouldn't start eating again. (His favorite food for a few days was dandelions from the lawn around the university parking lot). Lost a lot of weight. This is my big guy, 18 2 hands, 1700 lbs. Has a multidrug resistant infection in the sutures, so he has to wear a hernia belt in case the belly wall gives way. The belt is making pressure sores on his spine, so lots of nursing care needed. Stall rest with 3 walks a day, he is home again and eating my dandelions in the lawn, and wet hay and mashes made out of alfalfa and timothy pellets. Life is looking MUCH better. I am wearing out but that's beside the point.:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thats good news there gal,, :D ,, yes but we never worry about how much we wear out when its out of love

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glad to here he's doing better!

On another note:
Is this one of your models? :p :D ;) :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have just the sheep for a rig like that! She never manages to lamb and is always fat, grows a lot of wool. Very sturdy, definitely a saddle sheep! :rolleyes:

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
18 2 Hands and 1700 lbs, that is a big horse! I haven't been around horses much since I was a young lad but the horses I rode where 15-16 hands and 1000 - 1200 lbs if my memory serves me.

Draw horse in there some where? My Grandpa had a Percheron/ Quarter horse named Doll that was about that big that I rode around on in the correl with about 3 of my little cousin behind me bareback.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
He was bred to be a combined driving horse but got too tall. 1/4 thoroughbred, 1/4 Cleveland Bay, and 1/2 Oldenburg. The latter two breeds were often used for carriage horses and were used to pull artillary pieces in WWI. I never would have set out to buy a horse that tall, but he has a wonderful personality. Willing, honest, kind. Hard to care for since I can just barely reach the top of his back. Built like an oversize TB, everything scaled up. Withers like the Continental Divide, so riding bareback is not a real agreeable proposition.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thats some sheep saddle there wolf,,lol,, I just came across a Halflinger gelding
a 3 year old trained to pull a sulky. A little bit maybe 14 hands and I think if you let him he would crawl in to bed with you at night if you let him, hes a sweet heart, He liked to rip my pocket off trying to get some root beer barrels I had,,My old Arab mare loved pepper mints,, funny how they are just like kids.
Im glad the old boy is doing well ,,remember theres a special place in heaven for people that love horses

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thats some sheep saddle there wolf,,lol,, I just came across a Halflinger gelding
a 3 year old trained to pull a sulky. A little bit maybe 14 hands and I think if you let him he would crawl in to bed with you at night if you let him, hes a sweet heart, He liked to rip my pocket off trying to get some root beer barrels I had,,My old Arab mare loved pepper mints,, funny how they are just like kids.
Im glad the old boy is doing well ,,remember theres a special place in heaven for people that love horses
Our's liked peppermint. Used to carry them in my pocket when I would go over to feed and water. We had one, that liked to nip and grab though. You couldn't wear a good coat out to the barn. As soon as you turned your back he would grab you. :p Dad used to keep his smokes in the pocket of his tee shirt. He's lost more then one pocket, plus his smokes to that horse :p Used to laugh pretty hard watching dad trying to catch that horse to get his smokes back :p

Dated a girl back in high school that had three horses. We went riding down the horse trail by there house. Trail ended at a quicky mart. She would then go in for there favorite snack :D Each horse had there favorite. If the horses got out of the pasture, they would usually get a call from the quicky mart :D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He was bred to be a combined driving horse but got too tall. 1/4 thoroughbred, 1/4 Cleveland Bay, and 1/2 Oldenburg. The latter two breeds were often used for carriage horses and were used to pull artillary pieces in WWI. I never would have set out to buy a horse that tall, but he has a wonderful personality. Willing, honest, kind. Hard to care for since I can just barely reach the top of his back. Built like an oversize TB, everything scaled up. Withers like the Continental Divide, so riding bareback is not a real agreeable proposition.
Picture please!
I love big TB mix horses! :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Man, I'd hate to pay that vet bill, ya got obamacare fer him?

We got rid of the horses, when my grandfather got his first tractor. He said the view was much better...:D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here's hoping he doesn't have to stay in the slammer too long! ;)