Help with my headlights

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
I own a ZL2201 (L245) the problem I have is the bulbs in the headlights are both blown ' after looking everywhere I can think of have been unable to locate any replacements. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can buy either LED's or halligen bulbs to fit the original bulb holder? I'm guessing not as over here in the UK know where knows of anywhere I would get any bulbs. The othe option I have is to change the complete headlight units for something modern that uses LEDs or halligen bulbs. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so where would I get the parts? Failing this I've been thinking if I can get a pair of lights out of some other vehicle that would fit in my grill keeping the original look of the tractor just with decent bright lights. I thought of bolting some onto to the front weight frame but don't want to as it will only be a matter of time before they get broken sticking out as they would.
I want to maintain the original look of the tractor as much as possible but have decent lights that are bright enough that you can actually see when using the tractor at night in the dark.
Any help welcomed as I can't find anyway around this problem.
I live in the UK & there is know where I can get any lights that fit my original holders.
All suggestions welcomed please.
Thanks Stu

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Re: Help wiv my headlights

Hi Billrigsby. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunantly the bulbs you gave me links too are all the wrong type of fittings.
I e just tryed to upload some photos of the bulb & bulbholder but unable too get the photos up. I think I will have to try to find a pair of secondhand lights from a old car in a scrap yard to replace the lights with ones with bulbs that are commonly available.
Thanks for asking about the hydraulics I have got the various parts needed but as yet haven't had the time to fit them but all being well will get the hydraulics sorted in next week or so.
I ended up going to a hydraulic suppliers who sold me the parts to sort it out. I got various coupling that convert the old imperial thread on the quick coupling in to a metric thread that should screw into the valve on the tractors hydraulics. Fingers crossed it should all go together fine & wrk as intended.
Thanks for all your help & advice as it's been most helpfull
Thanks Stu

Attachments

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England

I see one of the photos of the bulb holder came out ok. I've just taken anouther photo of the actual bulb so hopefully it will upload when I post this reply.
Thanks again for all your help & time Stu

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

billrigsby,
Sorry, but all of the bulbs you posted are the wrong ones.

Some of the bulbs you listed are actually three connections, bass ground (-) and 2 hots (+) so high and low bulbs.
Also the side locking pins are wrong on most of the bulbs.
On the bulb that Stu needs the locking pins are parallel to each other and a 1156 style bulb are staggered.

Stu,
Here is the bulb (i think) you need, more info from you will verify that is 100% the right bulb:
http://www.messicks.com/part/31391-34360/headlight-bulb

Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

billrigsby,
Sorry, but all of the bulbs you posted are the wrong ones.

Some of the bulbs you listed are actually three connections, bass ground (-) and 2 hots (+) so high and low bulbs.
Also the side locking pins are wrong on most of the bulbs.

The photo Stu posted does have three connections?
He is looking for a headlight bulb, and we can not see both locking pins
to know if they are staggered or not, but I believe they are generally not
on headlight bulbs of this nature. High is both filaments hot and Low is one hot.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece

well is very easy, and the sockets are the same like my L1501DT.
You need a 1157 bulb.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

well is very easy, and the sockets are the same like my L1501DT.
You need a 1157 bulb.
A 1157 bulb or (Taillight / Stoplight) is only (27 / 8.3) Watts,
hardly enough watts for a headlamp.
My L1500 came with (35 / 35) watts,
and that is still barely bright enough?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Quite a few of us switched our headlights over to led spotlights instead. I went with a cheap set from autozone. They are kind of dim normally, but the only time I need the headlights is in the winter plowing. And in the snow, they were better then the original bulbs :D:D

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Hi all. I've. It had a chance to look through the various links Poeple have posted for the bulbs I'm after. However the bulbs in my headlights are the same to look at as a standard car stop/tail light bulb with offset pins holding the bulb in the holder. My bulbs are rated 35watt main beam 35watt dip beam which is part of the reason I would like to upgrade if possible as these will be very dim. Standard rear car bulbs are the same size with offset pins but only use 25watt & 5watt which would be useless. I won't be using the tractor that much I. The dark but still would like lights that are bright enough for the odd times I will need them.
I'm hoping if I take the headlight unit to a few scrap yards with the hope of finding lights out of a old car or motor bike that will fit the tractors original light surround & grill so I keep the original look of the tractor, I had thought of bolting spot lights onto the front weight frame but decided against this as it will only be a matter of time before they get broken from hitting something with them sticking out. The scrap yard route seems like my best option as everywhere I've tryed to get bulbs to fit the standard lights have never seen bulbs like these esspecaily being 35/35watt.
Thanks for everyone's replys I will look at the various links for the bulbs when I have a bit more spare time.
Thanks again Stu

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Have you looked at 1157 halogen or led bulbs? They would be considerably brighter. Best to try an 1157 bulb before spending the money on a fancy bulb.
I removed my lamp housings and bolted rubber tractor kamps in their place. Only single filament but light is light.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece

A 1157 bulb or (Taillight / Stoplight) is only (27 / 8.3) Watts,
hardly enough watts for a headlamp.
My L1500 came with (35 / 35) watts,
and that is still barely bright enough?
The same my beast came with that 1157 35w bulb.
in my country you can find them in every car shop, 1157 35w for taillight,
now if you need more watts you can upgrade them with 1157 halogen at 55w.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Stu

Equipment
L2201
Dec 9, 2015
England
Wolf man has come to rescue again. Thanks loads. I will get looking on EBay as these LED bulbs have the correct off set bins holding them in there holder. The 100watt bulbs look nice just unsure about the price however the 80watt look good. The price is reasonable & they should be bright enough for me as. I don't plan using the tractor that often in the dark. Will post how I get on with them in time when I've got them fitted & working. I'm sure the wiring will need working on but that's no big job (I hope )
My main problem is sorting out auxiliary hydraulics but that's anouther drama I'll leave for now. Thanks again wolf man for posting the links. Stu