Help with Kubota B6000 irregular tiling

jsobota

Equipment
Kubota B6000 4WD
Aug 29, 2016
Germany
Hi,

I have a Kubota B6000 WD. When using the tiler Kubota S850 it will work well for some time, while the tractor advances slowly, like in this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOviNKALLE . The soil results very well tilled.

But then somehow the tractor will unexpectedly start on its own to advance quicker and the tiler cannot do its job very well.

I cannot find in the tractor manual any hint about the cause of this issue. Perhaps anybody has had the same issue or knows at least where to search for the cause of this issue/adjustment to be made to eliminate it.

Any advice is welcome! :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This will happen when you encounter hard pan that hasnt been tilled to deep or a hard clay that will repack and harden again, this will also happen when encountering tree roots or new dirt that hasbnt been till or tilled very little. What happens is the tines are not cutting the dirt, but dig in and begin to put the tractor forward, the tines are turning faster than the tractor wheels and put you forward
Now I have to assume that after it does this, it settles down and tills normally again.
Watching it work I dont see a problem, I would however check your tines, to see if they are really worn and how sharp they are. In sharp I mean kind of like a dull mower blade but not razor sharp.
That would be the fist thing I would look at, how deep your going on the first pass, tiller speed, it doesnt have to be wide open all the time on new stuff and tines.
Im sure other will have some good ideas,,,, Unless I have misunderstood you and, your saying the tractor just goes off by it self with out you operating it. In which case I aint got a clue

Nice Boat too :D

Last edited:

jsobota

Equipment
Kubota B6000 4WD
Aug 29, 2016
Germany
skeets,

many thanks. On remembering how that happened, I see now that you are right. The plot has here and there some hard pans.

I will sharpen the tines. As for the hard soil, would it help if I add some weight over the tiler? I plan to add some compost over the hard land pans and try to mix with the tiler it in order to soften the soil there.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Might want to loosen the dirt with something like a chisel plow, or maybe a subsoiler. That would also help your roots if there's hard pan.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Probably more helpful to add weight to the tractor than the tiller. Filled tires, wheel weights, plump gal on your lap, etc.

Last edited:

jsobota

Equipment
Kubota B6000 4WD
Aug 29, 2016
Germany
"plump girl on your lap" ha ha ha not a bad idea

About the filled tires, how to do that?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I concur with Skeets, do you have a subsoiler?

If so, use it then till, try and use it in 2 directions for example long ways and then across the area just subsoiled.

If not, go real slow with tiller and in multiple directions. Some moisture in ground will help as well just not real wet as you will further compact hard pan.

For my gardens and plots I subsoil each spring and prior to fall planting. This enables my soil to utilize rain and drain nicely and reduces erosion. I follow with a disk or tiller, then plant.

This works well for me and subsoilers are not too expensive but worth their weight in gold for maintaining your plots and gardens. They can aslo be used for plowing in water lines, electrical lines, stump removal, etc.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Your soil and conditions are likely different than here in the high desert, but I have found the problem with tilling is that it works the top well but can actually compact the ground below. I don't know if sub soilers are available but that is a great help. I actually use a "Meadow Creature" broad fork in our garden beds - it loosens the soil to 16" and then I lightly till over that to break the clods. I have heavy clay soil. Lots of organic matter added really helps too.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just thought of something you might try if you have some time to kill. Like was said going both ways,, I mean going the long way and then back and forth and corner to corner, that will also help, but once you get all that good compost worked in you wont have to do that much any more. NOW, around here I have a heavy yellow clay to work with, and had much the same issue with my tiller. Lil bro came up with, why dont you just cut some flat stock as long as the tiller is tall . Drill holes and sharpen one edge and then take every other tine off and bolt them in place. Now it will not till as well but the straight blades will slice the hard pan a bit so next time through its not as compacted.. Just a thought, Happy gardening :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA