Help with BX hood staying open

sprawlnstall

Equipment
BX2660
Aug 30, 2023
Minnesota
I took the side panel off to change coolant yesterday and discovered the zip tie looking piece of plastic used to keep the hood partially open had come loose. The piece is actually called “hook bonnet open” for the life of me I can’t find where it attaches to. I took the battery panel off and can see where it goes. Without this piece properly in place my plastic side panel is loose. Any suggestions?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
M10200.png

curious, found this,#220 is it, though no idea where the 'tab' on the right end of it goes,or why. #170 IS the real hood latch.

sprawlnstall

Equipment
BX2660
Aug 30, 2023
Minnesota
I found the same diagram. When you remove the battery panel you can see where the hook bonnet travels, near the steering wheel. It seems as it needs to catch on something near the steering wheel because it is currently loose. Prior to this when you pulled out the hook bonnet it took a slight amount of pressure. It is like a limp noodle now

wild bill

May 8, 2010
South Wales, NY
The strap merely holds the hood partially open so that the side panels can slide into place. If your side panels are loose (post #1) it sounds like they are not properly engaged with the firewall.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
After 10+ years, guess I should RTFM. (Read The "Darned" Manual ;) )

That thing should have no bearing on how secure your side panel is. Are the plastic tabs on the shroud in the front where the nuts tighten it down cracked or broken? They are prone to break.

I think I added washers to mine long ago to improve tightening.

IMG_6064.jpeg

I did add a couple pieces of weatherstrip and tubing on the tabs near the firewall to help just a little.

IMG_6063.jpeg

Neat, had no idea that was there. Would have been handy few times over the years. Just holds the hood at an elevation where you can get the lower shroud off.....there is no way to "make it work" unless you want to use it. Just an accessory.

There’s the little cuss. (The electrical cord is for my battery maintainer.)

IMG_6062.jpeg

Pull it out and slide over latch pin on hood. Keeps the actuator on the hood from going too high - - that way there's more room to slide the shroud forward and take it off.

Slide it back in when done..

IMG_6061.jpeg

Last edited: