HELP ! oil in brake compartment... normal??

buck19delta

Equipment
b1750
Jul 18, 2014
kentucky
i have a brake on my b1750 that seemed to not work well..... and was making a grinding noise.

i suspected worn pads... so i bought new pads, and today i opened the brake compartment up to put the new brake pads on. i was surprised to have oil come out of the compartment.

is this normal??? iv never seen wet brakes before, usually brakes slip when wet. but im totally new to tractors, and i DID notice that the brake compartment is sealed, and has a gasket keeping it water / air tight. i doubt its to keep water out as high up as it it.

SO IS IT SUPPOSED TO HAVE OIL IN THE BRAKE AREA, / BRAKE SHOES BATHED IN OIL???

if not i guess im going to be replacing a seal of some kind.

help me out guys, is this normal???

if normal, how do i put oil back in ? im suspecting its not normal, but i need to know for sure.

annoyingly enough the brakes seemed like new, except for the very edges where the brakes meet, that was worn a little, maybe 1/8th of the pad, allowing the steel part of the shoe rub against the drum. . otherwise they looked new

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes very normal for tractors to have wet brakes, keeps them cool, and yes they are designed to work covered in hydraulic fluid, and yes you're tractor has wet brakes.
Do make sure to seal the cover when reinstalling.

The pads do wear, just not very fast, unless someone has left the parking brake on or there is a malfunction.
Post a picture of the pads and someone might be able to tell you if they are worn.

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
thanks for the help ! i was afraid i was going to have to replace yet another seal. ! whew ! !

Doesn't a B7150 have "dry brakes"? By looking at TractorData, that's what it states, but maybe older years were dry and newer wet? I'm actually getting ready to replace a seal on one side of my B7200. Other side is dry as a bone, the way it should be.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lowinohio,
You are exactly right, I looked at the wrong set of diagrams.:eek:

buck19delta,
I'm sorry but yes you do have dry style brakes and here is the diagram for the seal and sleeve that the seal rides on.

Seal #230 serial #<= 67370 66466-14960
Seal #230 serial #>= 67369 67401-14960
Sleeve #240 67401-14960

Attachments

Last edited: