Help me protect myself

Scranton

Equipment
Just looking
Apr 1, 2014
Dunmore
I'm looking at buying a private sale kubota, 2011 bx25.
I'd like to do the best I can to protect myself in this sale.
My thoughts are this:
Can I verify that the tractor for sale is in fact owned by the person selling it (title.. anything like that)?
I've looked into a UCC search.
I've talked with Kubota, I can find out if the tractor was financed through them and if it has liens being held by them or if it was paid off. I can find the dealership it was sold at?
Is there any paperwork I should be asking the seller for?
Anything I'm missing... I'm sure there are tons of things.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WOW I would be more worried about the seller not disclosing hidden damage than I would be about the rest of what you are worried about.

A good bill of sale from the buyer to you is all it takes with a tractor, it doesn't have a title or anything else like that.

If your still worried get the bill of sale notarized would be about your best bet.

Must be a lot of crooks in your area???

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I talked to the dealer my used bota was purchased through. And to kubota financing. That's about all i could come up with. Maybe local cop shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Unless there are circumstances not being disclosed, you are REALLY over thinking all of this. Just my 2¢

Ron

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I hear where you are coming from. I would ask where he bought the machine. If he bought it from a dealer and had a loan there is no reason (as long as the note was paid) why the seller can not produce a loan satisfaction letter for the machine.I would think that if he paid cash for it then either he would have the slip saying it was paid for, or contact the dealer and they will tell you if the machine was paid for.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I don't think you'll get any of those items, unless he's desperate to sell. It's a seller's market. Also, some say paranoia, but a close friend had his 100-ish hp JD taken by the police after trying to get parts using the sn.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I agree. there is a good chance you wont. But if they cant understand you don't want to fork over however many thousands of dollars unless they can prove they actually own the machine you dont want to do business with them either. I would want to know if I were you too. Its business. I am sure there are plenty of people that would buy it no questions asked, and that is fine. But it is a good way to get burned no doubt about it. A brand new Kubota was stolen at my local dealership a couple years ago. You should check out the pics they have on there site. Union Farm in Maine. The pics were as they were driving that new Kubota right through the fence at night. I don't know, good luck to you-

rob82

Equipment
2012 BX25
Jan 18, 2013
Monroe,NJ
Unless youre getting a super deal I would buy a new one. The prices of used ones are fairly high. Just my opinion for a little more you know what youre getting.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I'm looking at buying a private sale kubota, 2011 bx25.
I'd like to do the best I can to protect myself in this sale.
My thoughts are this:
Can I verify that the tractor for sale is in fact owned by the person selling it (title.. anything like that)?
I've looked into a UCC search.
I've talked with Kubota, I can find out if the tractor was financed through them and if it has liens being held by them or if it was paid off. I can find the dealership it was sold at?
Is there any paperwork I should be asking the seller for?
Anything I'm missing... I'm sure there are tons of things.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Hi, My kid brother is an insurance investigator and what he says about stolen vehicles and equipment would make you wonder about the honesty of people. If you think the deal is too good to be true then it's probably stolen, if you think the seller is a little shady then use your gut feeling. You should realise that serial numbers can be altered, a good crook knows where all the numbers are including all of the secondary ones and if you don't think they can't make them look authentic your mistaken. Hope this was of some help Barry