Help me decide between two sheds!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I have the BX1880 with the 48 in. MMM and a 48 grapple. My shed is 16x10 and when the the tractor is in, I only have about a couple of inches or less all the way around. I have to store it with the FEL/grapple on and the 3PH removed so I can close the overhead door. The bucket with the 3PH, forks/frame and 3PH receiver, sleep next to the mini in my three car garage with four cars. I think that I might not need more room, instead I need to get rid of a lot of crap.
IMG_20210322_092846173.jpg
IMG_20210321_150748585.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d build it as big as you possibly can budget and permit wise.

We have a Farmall H with trip bucket loader, Kubota L4701, small trailer and smattering of implements in a 2000SF drive in basement at the old house and I still have lesser used implements, another offroad trailer, and miscellaneous stuff in a 20’ x 40’ shed that’s 75% full. Almost forgot the equipment trailer in the carport. Oh, and the 9N at Dad’s house. And 4 mowers in various places. And the enclosed trailer in the basement at my house. Edited to add the Mule in my garage and the boat in Dad’s basement which I forgot. And I still have to park the camper outside.

At this point I either need a 6000SF building to get it under one roof or I need to call an auctioneer and thin out the inventory. I have no idea how this happened. If you build smaller than an airplane hangar it will probably be overflowing eventually.

AstyHorbe

Equipment
not
Apr 29, 2021
chicago
I personally had the opportunity to make it 16 wide by 12 deep. The wider it gets - the better, especially if you wanna place a tractor there. Of course, in this case, you will need to spend more money on tools and materials. I did my own research and came to the conclusion that it's better to build it via a specialized agency. I contacted the concrete contractors at https://www.concretecontractorsfortworthtexas.com to discuss the project with them. The advantage is that building this shed wasn't that expensive, so I'm completely satisfied.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi all, I know its been discussed many many times but either by the fall or spring of next year ill be building a shed. I will NOT be getting a permit so I will have to stay under 200sf. Because of this I have narrowed it down to basically two options. 10x20 or 12x16. I don't really do my own wrenching much nor will this be some sort of man cave hang out so I only really need it to hold my tractor, walk behind snow blower, push mower and hand tools. Probably will add a small work bench somewhere.

So out of the two sizes what would you recommend? I only have a 1/2 acre property so I wont be leaving my loader on. I do mow, so I have a bagger with 54" deck. She's a BX1880. Basically is more width better to get around tractor? Or more length? I think the 10x20 may "fit" better on my property but if I did the 12x16 with the door pushed to one side I'd probably have more room to work in if need be. Shed will more than likely have a concrete foundation and a minimum 7' wide garage door. Realistically id go 8' or 9' wide door. Thanks all!
Sell your current property......and move to some acreage!

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hi all, I know its been discussed many many times but either by the fall or spring of next year ill be building a shed. I will NOT be getting a permit so I will have to stay under 200sf. Because of this I have narrowed it down to basically two options. 10x20 or 12x16. I don't really do my own wrenching much nor will this be some sort of man cave hang out so I only really need it to hold my tractor, walk behind snow blower, push mower and hand tools. Probably will add a small work bench somewhere.

So out of the two sizes what would you recommend? I only have a 1/2 acre property so I wont be leaving my loader on. I do mow, so I have a bagger with 54" deck. She's a BX1880. Basically is more width better to get around tractor? Or more length? I think the 10x20 may "fit" better on my property but if I did the 12x16 with the door pushed to one side I'd probably have more room to work in if need be. Shed will more than likely have a concrete foundation and a minimum 7' wide garage door. Realistically id go 8' or 9' wide door. Thanks all!
Well summer is gone now. Did you decide what to do. I did just read the thread but if you mentioned a decision I missed it.

Also, a thought that came to mind, is could you add a shed roof later to one side to increase roof cover? OR could you build two sheds at different times, side by side, and beat the restrictions that way?

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Well summer is gone now. Did you decide what to do. I did just read the thread but if you mentioned a decision I missed it.

Also, a thought that came to mind, is could you add a shed roof later to one side to increase roof cover? OR could you build two sheds at different times, side by side, and beat the restrictions that way?

I think you might be able to get away with two... but I also remember reading something against that as well. Can't recall of course. haha I still haven't made a "permanent" decision yet but I am pretty much set on the 12x16. I think I will try to set it up so I can add a side roof later. That way with a small pad underneath I can store extra stuff. More than likely it'll hold the loader when its off. That way during the summer I will just keep the tractor and bagger on in the shed.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
One thing that I did when I lived in the city on a 1/4 acre lot was to buy an enclosed car hauler and made it my storage shed. When I bought the trailer brand new in 2007 it cost me less than $5600 after taxes. The trailer is 8.5' x 22' giving me 187 square feet of storage. The rear drop down door doubles as a loading ramp. The side door is wide enough to be useful for loading in whatever I want to put in by hand. I use a hot tube stair step for easy entry to the side door. It was the perfect solution for me back then and I still use it for storage to this day. That trailer has never been on the road since I bought it, except to transport it from our old house to our new one.

There are two immediate benefits to doing this. One is that I do not pay any property taxes on it. The other is that it can be moved to anywhere I want it.

I just did a quick check on the web and I see that trailers like this are going for between $6500 and $11,000 brand new depending on location and options.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Good point, I never thought of the tax increase. But I can imagine it'd be much more. A mobile trailer also isn't a bad idea either. Would be kinda nice just to up and move if need be.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
My 72’x24’ was too small and had to add a 48’x16’ lean too along one side.
go longer! The 20’ can store your tractor with implements attached.
Is there a reason beside getting a permit, that you can’t go bigger? A 20x24 is the size of a standard residential garage, and you could make it match the house in design and color. It’s just one of those I sure need more room things.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I built a 12X16 shed last year, it was to free up room in my shop. I keep my implements, snow blade, grapple. Ladders, log splitter, chipper, powerwasher, snowblower etc. Has roll up doors on both ends IMG_20201211_155705571~2.jpg 8631~2.jpeg IMG_20201210_154417207~2.jpg

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
My 72’x24’ was too small and had to add a 48’x16’ lean too along one side.
go longer! The 20’ can store your tractor with implements attached.
Is there a reason beside getting a permit, that you can’t go bigger? A 20x24 is the size of a standard residential garage, and you could make it match the house in design and color. It’s just one of those I sure need more room things.

I guess its really just permitting. I am considering just giving in and doing maybe a 16x20. I am not sure I want to go as large as an actual garage. In less than five years hopefully I plan on putting a small addition onto my home and that'll include a two car garage. I am thinking of maybe going slightly larger so I can squeeze the BX in if need be. Mostly I would keep it inside before a snow storm so when I get back from plowing I can just head right out of he garage. Since I'll have the extra storage with the new garage I don't want to have a massive storage shed that I won't really need. I only have a half acre property so I don't have a ton of space or a ton of equipment either. For now anyways I only have a snow pusher and pallet folks. I have the loader of course and a bagger/mower.

Rmay6850

Equipment
BX2680, RTV X900
Apr 29, 2021
Virginia
I just finished building a 16x40 and wish I had gone 24x40. Once you build shelving and work benches you really use up floor space
Jus t my 2 cents

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
I just finished building a 16x40 and wish I had gone 24x40. Once you build shelving and work benches you really use up floor space
Jus t my 2 cents

Oh I totally understand. I plan on putting in a very small work bench and very little shelves. I am thinking of building a lower height loft type thing so I can throw my forks and snow pusher when not in use. That way I keep maximum floor space available. I am still considering just adding a small lean to for storing my loader. That would make a huge difference IMHO.

But you make a good point. It seems no matter what your building everyone always wishes they went bigger.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well, I don't know if in your area is possible but in my case I bought a custom prebuilt Lark shed and the price included the move and installation. It is all metal except the wood floor and some reinforcement around the roll up door and certified for up to 150 mph winds. The guys that sell them also buy them back and the used sheds in our area seem to sell like hot cakes. I your case with a limited area, a "'portable building" might be the answer so that when you are ready to add your garage, you can sell it or relocate it if needed.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Whatever you build, if you do not make shelves to the floor, only from bar top height up, it will keep the floor totally open, and uncluttered. I put metal 42” up from the floor, then installed a 2x12 all around the inside, and a few thin shelves up from the 42” mark. Nothing gets underfoot.
68E11743-9792-4B8E-A27E-9D3858826AF2.png

Reactions: 2 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Whatever you build, if you do not make shelves to the floor, only from bar top height up, it will keep the floor totally open, and uncluttered. I put metal 42” up from the floor, then installed a 2x12 all around the inside, and a few thin shelves up from the 42” mark. Nothing gets underfoot.
View attachment 69265

Yes! That is a great idea. Even better than I was thinking. I really like the 2x12 idea. Would be more than enough to store what I need to.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Well, I don't know if in your area is possible but in my case I bought a custom prebuilt Lark shed and the price included the move and installation. It is all metal except the wood floor and some reinforcement around the roll up door and certified for up to 150 mph winds. The guys that sell them also buy them back and the used sheds in our area seem to sell like hot cakes. I your case with a limited area, a "'portable building" might be the answer so that when you are ready to add your garage, you can sell it or relocate it if needed.

That was another option as well. Get a prebuilt 12x16. I am still considering that as well. That way it can be moved if I want to get rid of it when a garage shows up. I'll have to look into he Lark shed but I have a feeling its a Southern thing. We have crap up here in the Northeast lol