Help me decide between two sheds!

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Hi all, I know its been discussed many many times but either by the fall or spring of next year ill be building a shed. I will NOT be getting a permit so I will have to stay under 200sf. Because of this I have narrowed it down to basically two options. 10x20 or 12x16. I don't really do my own wrenching much nor will this be some sort of man cave hang out so I only really need it to hold my tractor, walk behind snow blower, push mower and hand tools. Probably will add a small work bench somewhere.

So out of the two sizes what would you recommend? I only have a 1/2 acre property so I wont be leaving my loader on. I do mow, so I have a bagger with 54" deck. She's a BX1880. Basically is more width better to get around tractor? Or more length? I think the 10x20 may "fit" better on my property but if I did the 12x16 with the door pushed to one side I'd probably have more room to work in if need be. Shed will more than likely have a concrete foundation and a minimum 7' wide garage door. Realistically id go 8' or 9' wide door. Thanks all!

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I use old container/ sea boxes 8 X 20 very secure and dry. Also portable and can be moved. I have 2 of them 1 for tractor implements for winter storage and the other for summer storage for Snowmobile and other toys.
Paint them to match the area and done.

Reactions: 1 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
That was another option I though of... but I'd need a permit. Trying to stay away from that. However that is an idea I was tossing around. I can pretty much drop it where I need it without really "prepping" the area much. My biggest issue is it wouldn't fit my area too well so Id be getting the neighbors all in a hissy 🤦‍♂️:LOL:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
A few thoughts, if you ever plan to stay hooked up with loader the length could be advantageous. Also, if you ever planned to sell, making it more useful for a truck, trailer, boat, etc would be a good idea. I like my sliding door for the tractor, and I can leave the ROPS up. “Two” sides would be handy as well, but makes it have to be shorter shorter to stay under your limits.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
curious am I
have to ask WHY would a 20' seacan need a permit ? It's less than 200sqft.

You're right, sorry. I was thinking it was over for some reason. I wouldn't need one. BUT it would be an eye sore for my location. If I had a bunch of woods (as my neighbor does, hes got over an acre) I could get away with that. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
A few thoughts, if you ever plan to stay hooked up with loader the length could be advantageous. Also, if you ever planned to sell, making it more useful for a truck, trailer, boat, etc would be a good idea. I like my sliding door for the tractor, and I can leave the ROPS up. “Two” sides would be handy as well, but makes it have to be shorter shorter to stay under your limits.

What do you mean by two sides?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you made it 16 wide by 12 deep, you could have a roll door on one side and a roll up door on the other. Rollup would be more handy for snow, but roll door could give you a wider space as well as taller door.

My large shed is setup that way.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
If you made it 16 wide by 12 deep, you could have a roll door on one side and a roll up door on the other. Rollup would be more handy for snow, but roll door could give you a wider space as well as taller door.

My large shed is setup that way.

I gotcha, not a bad idea at all!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - - I was thinking wider would be better. With a narrow/long storage shed, there's an issue with getting at the stuff in the back....

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
I guess if I store her often without the loader then id have just enough room front to back with the bagger. My shed will be located in the back yard so when its time for snow I bring her up ahead of time and use a tarp. Hopefully in the next several years ill have a two bay garage in which I will then leave her in there before a snowstorm.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
How much do they charge for the permit?
Bigger is always better if you can afford it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
curious am I
have to ask WHY would a 20' seacan need a permit ? It's less than 200sqft.
Where my cabin is, you need a "can" permit, $30.
Basically, they have to approve the location- to be sure it's not an eyesore for neighbors, that it blocks no drainage, and the can must be painted "earth tones" to blend in.
Having said that, probably 90% are not permitted, or painted, and are an eyesore.
In other words, typical AZ, no enforcement. :mad:

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
use a 20' seacan, add a 'skin' of T1-11 or other siding, paint, there it's 'pretty' but STRONG and LOCAKABLE

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
those who can use steel containers are lucky. Not even allowed in city limits here.

To the OP, put me in the 20 foot. I had a BX and I opted for 12x20 and the length is really useful, esp with a tractor. There is plenty of room on the sides and if you happen to leave the loader on, you can stick the whole machine in the shed WITH a box blade or brush hog on the back. I built a rack in the back of my shed that can hold 3 pallets of implements too.

I would get the long one

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
those who can use steel containers are lucky. Not even allowed in city limits here.

To the OP, put me in the 20 foot. I had a BX and I opted for 12x20 and the length is really useful, esp with a tractor. There is plenty of room on the sides and if you happen to leave the loader on, you can stick the whole machine in the shed WITH a box blade or brush hog on the back. I built a rack in the back of my shed that can hold 3 pallets of implements too.

I would get the long one

Its funny you show me this as I was thinking of doing something exactly like it! Have a low "loft" that I could back whatever is attached to my BX under. But above id keep either the bucket, snow pusher, forks, or mower deck depending on time of year.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I built a 12x16 two years ago, to stay under permit b/s lie you mentioned. I'm already looking at something else 2-3 times the size. There's never enough space. :geek:

Reactions: 3 users