help! GR2120 wont start....

mjmitch

Equipment
gr2120
May 1, 2018
Ireland
Hi guys, having an issue with my kubota gr2120. it only has 90 hours on it and is like new but yesterday whilst mowing the lawn i switched it off, a minute later i restarted it and it fired up but ran badly/rough for 4 or 5 seconds coughing out black smoke, then it smoothened out, i thought nothing of it, engaged the blades and it cut out. Now it wont restart or even crank. ignition lights come on and glow plug comes on but it wont crank. I bridged the starter solenoid and it starts but then i cant turn it off unless i manually push the fuel cut off switch on the injector pump. all fuses are fine, would one of the safety switches or relay cause the ignition not to work? i know the seat/ brake /PTO switches need to be engaged to start but what would cause it to not start and not be able to turn off either?
Any help is much appreciated, as the dealer is 2 hour drive away and i really dont want to have to bring it back for what is most likely a 2 minute fix for someone with the "know how"
Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fact that you can jump the starter and it runs rules out the stop solenoid, also a bad stop solenoid won't prevent it from cranking.
There is something going on with the main switch or possibly OPC as it won't shut off with the key after you start it.

My Number one piece of advice is get the WSM as it has trouble shooting guides in it and a wiring diagram.

Luck have it there is a free copy on the web:
http://www.kubota.cz/data/soubor/WSM_GR2120EU_EN.pdf

Look it over and see if it helps if not check back in and we can look into it deeper.

marchanna

Equipment
GR2120
May 2, 2018
Pictou County Nova Scotia
Check out pages 7-S9 and 7-S13. There is the starter relay and the engine stop timer relay behind the panel below the steering wheel. It wouldn't surprise me if these were corroded based on their location.

North Idaho Wolfman: good points! Thanks for posting that resource.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check out pages 7-S9 and 7-S13. There is the starter relay and the engine stop timer relay behind the panel below the steering wheel. It wouldn't surprise me if these were corroded based on their location.

North Idaho Wolfman: good points! Thanks for posting that resource.
And good points on corrosion on the stop timer as well as the start relay, as that could cause an issues with the start circuit. ;)

marchanna

Equipment
GR2120
May 2, 2018
Pictou County Nova Scotia
Something I make a practice out of is, when checking any electrical connections, I apply dielectric grease to them to prevent further or future corrosion. That tends to resolve and prevent about 90% of all electrical gremlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk