Help getting filters off

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I have run into the typical problem with the first hydraulic filter removal on an MX 5100. I have 65 hrs on it and have been putting this off for this reason. Have read before folks having the same trouble. Any wise input as to how to get these filters off would be greatly appreciated. I bought a good strap wrench and was unable to budge them. Then I put a cheater bar on and started collapsing the filters. I am not too excited about driving a screwdriver through it. I am at this time probably left with taking it to the dealer to get this first filter change done unless you guys can help me.

Whatever monkey they have putting these filters on with an impact wrench is REALLY a pain in the back side!!!!

Doc

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Sometimes you just have to decide to do something and do what it takes to get it done! I have all the right tools to remove those filters and even then I have to resort to driving a big screwdriver through them!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For really stubborn filters, a good strap wrench or chain wrench works really well. I have the small, medium, and large channel lock style filter wrenches which work in most cases. But when someone gets really froggy putting one on, I have to break out my chain or strap wrench to get it off :rolleyes:

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I ended up taking a pipe wrench to mine on the first change. I had to keep adjusting it in tighter as I slowly twisted it into a pretzel but eventually I got it to break free. You wouldn't have been able to identify it as a filter when I was done :rolleyes:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When I worked at a Kubota dealer, I never had one single tractor that a large channel lock plier wouldn't take the filter off of. Works best if you grab near the base of the filter if possible.

Only big problem I had was the little Kawasaki Mule 610 1st oil filter change. Man those things were on TIGHT. Sometimes even running a screwdriver through the little filter would just twist the filter's sheet metal off, and next thing ya know, I was down to the filter base only. Then use a hammer & chisel to slowly but surely remove the base of the filter from the block.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's a note of caution when driving a screw driver through a filter. Be careful of the center nipple the filter screws on too. I've had a couple d1005 engines come through my shop where the filter didn't seat square with the base. On these engines the filter base is molded into the crank case cover.

Someone had over tightened the oil filter. Then drove a screw driver through the filter and tweaked the portion the nipple screwed into. Was able to get a socket over it, and use a ratchet to tweak it back square, instead of having to replace the crank case cover. Took several tries to get it right though.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Funny how a filter is installed by hand, yet when it is time to remove it you would think some gorilla screwed the thing on.

I have about 10 different oil filter wrenches. Several are the band type, large and small, wide and narrow.

One is huge, for the oil filters on big truck engines that hold a gallon of oil, and huge hydraulic filters on mobile hydraulic systems.

I have a couple sizes like this:

And when Mrs. Racer bought a new Corolla a couple years ago I had to buy another one.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Well, couldn't find a chain wrench but 27.04 for the largest pipe wrench I could find at Lowes fixed the problem.

Thx
Doc

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I worked in a Dodge dealership,across street was Ford dealer. Customer would alternate between garages. Every time it came with a ford filter installed it was so tight a couple times i was left with chiseling off the base. Mentioned it to customer ,but it seemed to get worse. Until i wrenched the filter on. If you cant beat em-join em.

I have spun off thousands of filters, using many methods. They are most always very tight when new. I found many times the strap works where nothing else will,big channel locks on the rest, as mentioned near the base.