Help deciding on implement for ballast

mathews xt 600

Feb 15, 2015
Millersburg
Hopefully this is in the right section. Here's my question. I have a b 2620 and need a rear weight. I have the bh65 but would like a 3pt weight as well. My budget is about $350. I was thinking a set of rear forks and getting a small pallet to stack weight on and ratchet strap it down and pick it up as I need it. Could use them for other things as well or should I spend the money on a ballast box which is $300. Thanks for the advice

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hopefully this is in the right section. Here's my question. I have a b 2620 and need a rear weight. I have the bh65 but would like a 3pt weight as well. My budget is about $350. I was thinking a set of rear forks and getting a small pallet to stack weight on and ratchet strap it down and pick it up as I need it. Could use them for other things as well or should I spend the money on a ballast box which is $300. Thanks for the advice
I would spend the $ on the ballast box - shoot - if you have some plywood laying around and some rebar - I would make your own box. Less than 50 bucks in materials and boo yaa - you have a 3 point box! Really not that hard to do. Make a form - add Quickrete - rebar - two pins and a 3 point hole in the top!:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, you explain all that with such ease. Nothing to it!

Reminds me of when I'm laying under a sink trying to remove the supply line from the faucet and all that goes through my mind is all those TV shows I've seen where they install something in 5 minutes, never break a sweat and have all the time, and works perfect!!!:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ballast box concept- how about forming a box-not filled with concrete, but a box made of concrete? So its a thick walled utility box, could still carry things inside it. Thinkibg of someting for buddy's tippy green thing.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll look into making a box. Do I need a drawbar and stabilizer bar?
You won't need a stabiizer, but it is a nice thing to have. Sadly, the best I've seen is no longer in regular production.

You could either use a cross drawbar,
available at your TractorSupply

NOT this kind shown in the MX attachment.

Or you could just use the Cat 1 pins
available at your TractorSupply

One more thing you will need is a Top Link
It, too, is available at your TractorSupply

Lots of folks just cast the cross drawbar or pins, and the "ears" to which the Top Link would connect into a strong concrete cube. If you're adept at welding, or handyman construction, you could follow some of the other suggestions of building a box, then putting stuff like chains, tools, or even (what I intend to do) pavers in it. The advantage is you've made a multi-use ballast rather than a single-use cube.

Whichever you do, please keep us updated on the progress, and keep in mine Skeets' and other's incessant demand: "Pictures! We want PICTURES!"

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie, you explain all that with such ease. Nothing to it!

Reminds me of when I'm laying under a sink trying to remove the supply line from the faucet and all that goes through my mind is all those TV shows I've seen where they install something in 5 minutes, never break a sweat and have all the time, and works perfect!!!:)
Seriously,

Make a plywood frame - what say - 24-28" wide about 24 tall 24" deep - make the sides be able to unscrew - pins welded or bolted to a frame - the top link hole is high above the concrete and fill with 4, 5 bags of #80 quickrete. Unscrew sides.....
about 400+ pounds of 3 point hitch! true you need some metal - little welding or fabrication too. The 3 point carry all is a nice touch too, then again YOU have to move stuff ONTO the carry all ....all the time! But you get to use it too for hauling stuff:D:)