Help Connecting FEL QDs

Skeeter

Equipment
M4D-061 w/FEL; RTV X1100CWL; JD MX-7 Bushhog; and others
Oct 3, 2012
MO
This is the second time I've had my FEL off my tractor, and I need to reinstall it, but cannot get the bucket quick disconnects (QDs) reconnected (Blue and Red). The raise and lower QDs (White and Yellow) will connect, but not the bucket QDs. I have cross connected the couplers to ensure the control valve male ends are not damaged, and that works fine, but the female bucket line QDs will not connect to any of the male ends. This leaves me suspecting that I have excess pressure built up (unlikely that two QDs are bad at the same time) that I'm not able to overcome by pushing down on the QD to connect it.

Is there a trick that I'm not aware of? I'm at the point where I think I need to break the fitting loose from the line and bleed some of the pressure, but I'm concerned that the bucket will move causing the FEL to fall off the little stilts that are holding it up (it's not on the tractor).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you tried to cycle the loader control in all 4 directions with the engine off and then try to connect the lines? If you do break one of the lines loose keep in mind it could be sitting there with 2500 psi. Protect your eyes and don't take anything loose with your fingers until the high pressure is released.

I haven't removed my loader since I installed the QA for the bucket but before that I removed my loader all the time. Always before I unhooked the lines I would kill the engine and cycle the loader control in every direction to relieve the pressure. I never remember having trouble hooking the lines back up.

Jim Jacobson

Apr 3, 2012
Bondurant, WY
More than likely it's a pressure issue. Like Bulldog says, shut off the tractor (when you remove the FEL) and and cycle the 4-position control, leaving in each position for a longer time than what would seem necessary, 5-10 seconds should do it.

If your current problem is your inability to reconnect the FEL, well, that's a different because there is no way to release the pressure from the attachment side. The fix is a pain but easy. Loosen the female coupling end on the FEL just enough for a very small amount of fluid to come out. Since liquid cannot compress, a very small amount is all that is necessary. Tighten the coupler and you'll be back in business. Do it once and your learning curve will be steep for the next time. You'll remember to cycle the 4-position valve the next time. Don't ask me how I know this.

Skeeter

Equipment
M4D-061 w/FEL; RTV X1100CWL; JD MX-7 Bushhog; and others
Oct 3, 2012
MO
More than likely it's a pressure issue. Like Bulldog says, shut off the tractor (when you remove the FEL) and and cycle the 4-position control, leaving in each position for a longer time than what would seem necessary, 5-10 seconds should do it.

If your current problem is your inability to reconnect the FEL, well, that's a different because there is no way to release the pressure from the attachment side. The fix is a pain but easy. Loosen the female coupling end on the FEL just enough for a very small amount of fluid to come out. Since liquid cannot compress, a very small amount is all that is necessary. Tighten the coupler and you'll be back in business. Do it once and your learning curve will be steep for the next time. You'll remember to cycle the 4-position valve the next time. Don't ask me how I know this.
Thanks Jim, and you too Bulldog. I did cycle the control lever, but obviously not enough. I've already come to the conclusion that I'll have to relieve the pressure. Sure is a pain. Thanks again for you help.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
That's interesting. I've had a problem re-connecting a couple times when I didn't spend sufficient time working the joystick while removing it. Fortunately a good hard push was all that it needed. It's been a while so I can't recall if it involved one single line or a pair. It would seem that it should only involve one.

For example, if the bucket wasn't entirely relaxed and should have curled a few more degrees, I'd suspect only the dump line should have pressure when it is re-connected.

Just a wild thought. Was the FEL in the sun while disconnected? Maybe the raise/lower cylinders were shaded and the curl/dump cylinders were in the sun?

Two things I'd try:

1. If the raise/lower lines can be connected, raise the bucket off the ground and kill the engine. Have a helper (keeping all important body parts clear) attempt to manually curl the bucket while you try to connect the hoses.

2. If that fails, gag the fitting (tie a rag around it) where the fluid will leak out and crack the fitting to bleed off some fluid as was already mentioned.

Keep us informed.