Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thanks for the input, guys.
FDR1660 3-point finish/grooming mower l

Dean
That's the mower I use with my B2320.
I have used it for about a year now.
No windrows, no clippings to deal with.
But I still use a weed eater and a Cub Cadet for trimming on my 5 acres.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Missouri....
The weed-eater is definitely in play here for the corners and the fenceline. That Stihl line trimmer with the handlebars is one of the best investments I ever made. It can make short work of those corners, either with the self-feeding line head or the poly blades. Unfortunately, my Cub-Cadet equivalent (the Husqvarna rider) is no longer up to the task. :)

Good to hear that you have been using that mower for a while and have no complaints. Do you use it in very tall grass? I will make an effort to keep the pasture at a manageable height, but I'm wondering what "manageable" means to this mower. I know some people have said they can cut 10-12" growth in patches, but I wonder what the max consistent height is? If I consistently let the grass in the pasture get to 6-7" before mowing it each time, is that asking too much? I would think not, but not sure.

Thanks,

Dean

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
...okay... another question. Do you think a B2650 would do okay with a 72" (e.g. FDR1672) rather than the 60" (FDR1660)? Not sure I will go to that size, but there is some appeal to cutting an extra ~12" with each pass.

Horsepower range for the FDR series (48", 60" and 72") is 15-30 HP. I imagine the 30HP is the recommended for the 72". I guess if I am planning on using it regularly to mow somewhat taller grass, I might ought to err on the side of the smaller - 60" rather than 72"

Sounds like I just talked myself out of the 72" :D

Dean

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you cut it every week you might get by with a 72". Letting it get 12"+ IMHO it will give your tractor a heart attack.
I run a 72" with 32hp and it's a load in tall grass. Finish mower takes a lot of power to operate properly.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Missouri....
If I consistently let the grass in the pasture get to 6-7" before mowing it each time, is that asking too much? I would think not, but not sure.

Thanks,

Dean
6-7 will cut just fine but expect some to be laying around. You can always adjust the height quickly...maybe 30 sec. a wheel. It's a matter of moving the spacers around either above or below the wheel frame mount...no big deal.
You can get fairly close to anything with the rear mower but it takes practice. I find myself backing up to some trees rather than ducking the branches or hitting them with the ROPS. I generally weed eat as much as I can then use my Cub to trim around trees and building. The time spent there is easily made up by the speed I can cut with the tractor.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Bulldog, Thanks. After I started typing out the question and thinking about the HP specs, that's what I kind of suspected. I don't want to go down to a 48", but I think the 60" should work out fine... If I don't let it become a jungle. I do always have a bit of an exit strategy in that my Father-In-Law has larger tractors and chopper/flail mower if I need to chop down something I've let get out of hand.

Missouri, thank you. I think I will just treat that pasture like my other grass areas - except I will leave it taller after being cut. After all, the idea is for the horse to have grass to eat... but he won't keep that entire pasture mowed down, at least not while maintaining fighting weight :D.

Fortunately, I don't have trees out there to worry about, but it is fenced so I guess the posts count as a bunch of strategically-placed artificial trees - at least for the sake of mowing. I was thinking I would have to back up into areas - particularly the corners - to get as much cut as possible. Like you said, the rest will get me off my butt and onto the weed-eater.

Thanks again, guys. The advice is much appreciated.

Dean

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've lived here since 1989 and have used one MMM and three different RFM's. I much prefer RFM's. Here are a few things from my experience in no particular order:

1. LandPride makes really nice, heavy duty decks. In a given width, they require a little more tractor than lighter/cheaper decks.

2. Variances (grass height, part of the mowing season, blade sharpness, ect) make it difficult to give you absolutes.

3. Raising or lowering my deck even 1/2" can make a difference on how well the rear discharge spreads the clippings.

4. I have an old Caroni side discharge deck from 1991 that has been broken, re-welded and resurrected several times and it will still cut anything. I recently wore my rain suit and mowed in the rain with it.

5. When we bought some adjoining land, we also went from a B7500 / 5 foot side discharge LandPride to an L3200 / 6 foot rear discharge landpride. The yard grew from 2-1/4 acres to 3-1/2 acres and the mowing time didn't change.

6. The B7500 had just marginally enough HP (21) to run the 5' LandPride because of hills. If our land was flat, 21 would have been quite sufficient.

7. The weight of the deck plays a big role. The old Ford 1210 with something like 16 or 17 horses handles the much lighter weight 5 foot wide Caroni with ease. When I tried the 5' LandPride on it, the poor old Ford was way too light and the mower deck handled the tractor. Dragging the heavier deck up hills while cutting overtaxed the little blue tractor.

8. My FEL is never on unless it's being used. That includes the frame and all.

9. Side discharge is nice for "raking leaves", but it forces you to mow in certain patterns - especially when the grass is taller - to avoid windrows. The last deck we bought is a rear discharge, and it's nice to mow in either direction along things that I don't want to blow clippings into.

Here are the three tractors I've used RFM's on. Took the opportunity to do a family photo when the L3200 was delivered. Sold the B7500 and kept the Ford just because it's handy. The first tractor was a Cub 154 LoBoy with a belly mower.

Attachments

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Thank you, Chim.
I have looked briefly at a couple of other manufacturers of 3-point finish mowers available locally and I think the land Pride is what I am going to go with. I may go by and take a look at a Woods, but not sure if that will change my mind.
Yeah... I understand the variables make it hard to answer my question for me, but I have received enough advice here that I feel comfortable with my decision now.
With most of my ground being relatively flat, I'm pretty comfortable going with the 5' mower with my 26 HP B2650.
I will have to see about my FEL. I will likely leave it on - just for convenience - unless it gets in the way. For the pasture area, I think it will be fine.
I am looking forward to the rear discharge. There are a couple of fields adjacent o my pasture that I have always felt a little bad about spitting clippings into :D.

Thanks again for the info. I think I'm going to go take a serious look at the Land Pride FDR1660 and the Woods equivalent this coming Friday.

Dean