Help - B7100 broken down in snow bank

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
I need some help please!

Here in Ohio, we got an 18inch snow fall Friday/Sat. and the trusty B7100 and I were digging out some snow when my wheel tube pin broke. The wheel just chatters on the axle. I can't find the broken pin and was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the pin? Is it steel and could I replace it with a bolt from the local hardware?

Thanks for any help?

AK

Bellinghamster

Equipment
B7100 with FEL
Nov 25, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I assume you're talking rear wheel, right? The pin in my B7100 is 0.375" diameter. I've got one pin and one bolt (rats... I should have measured the length, too!).

If you've got hex shafts, the pin is not supposed to transmit torque - it's only there to keep your wheel from falling off if the clamp bolt comes loose. If your hex shafts or wheel hubs are worn to the point where they're slipping , a new pin isn't going to help you (although it might get you out of the snowbank).

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Bellinghamster,

Yes, It is the left rear wheel.

The wheel will turn but there is some chatter. Also, the wheel has traveled next to the fender.

I don't want to damage it more, so it sounds like I need to tighten the bolt on the wheel hub so it won't slip on the hex shaft.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

AK

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
I have the rear wheel off. I slide the hub back out to match the same distance out as the other rear wheel/

Should the rear wheel hubs be tight without any slop on the hex axle?

I checked the operators manual and from what I can see, they should be tighten to a specified torque. Do I need to use a torque wrench?

Thanks, AK

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Torqued the hubs down tight and that seem to fixed the slop problem. Bought a bolt at the local hardware and now the B7100 is back out of the snow bank and finished the snow removal job! I found the other wheel to be loose and torque it down.

I bought this tractor from a landscaper going out of business last fall so I should expect the tractor will need some TLC.

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
Well, it looks like you did a fine job by trial and perhaps error, but if the end result is a working tractor, then you did the right thing! Most importantly, you have gathered knowledge!:)

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Well, it looks like you did a fine job by trial and perhaps error, but if the end result is a working tractor, then you did the right thing! Most importantly, you have gathered knowledge!:)
Well said Curbster!

You are also bonding with the tractor. Aint she sweet?

Scott