Heater lamp

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Im haveing trouble with the heat lamp not heating glow plugs could this be a voltage regulator
So - did this happen all of a sudden?

Does the engine start as it should?

Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter? If so - take the top lead off each of the two glow plugs, set you meter to the lowest ohm setting, and place one lead on the top of the unhooked glow plug, the other lead on the battery neg terminal..... tell us what you have? Should have a reading of very close to 1 ohm, if the meter does not show any Ohms - that is your problem.

With the same meter turned to DC volts - place leads on battery with tractor off , should have a ready of something like 12.6 + volts. Start tractor if possible, run up rpms to 2000 - measure at battery again - reading should be close to 14+ volts.

report back your finding.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is there a light bulb in the “heat lamp” that is burned out and can be replaced?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok then the coil probably won’t glow enough to see it in bright light.

But the coil could be failed open circuit and needs to be replaced but not a common problem.

I have an older L185 with a similar circuit for glow plugs with the indicator coil. It never glowed unless it was really dim or was held for longer than necessary to start tractor. I replaced it and the glow plugs recently and it does glow better now. I did not check anything before replacing them since I was just rewiring the tractor to eliminate problems.

Both the coil and glow plugs were inexpensive and easy to replace. The glow plugs were a bit of a problem since I didn’t have the proper deep socket to fit so look at that if you decide to replace them.

Circuit was also a bit odd but makes sense when you think about it. In glow position the power flows through the switch to through the indicator coil then to the glow plugs. In the start position the power flows through the switch bypassing the indicator and still powers the glow plugs to help start the engine. Voltage drop in the start position is from the starter.

You may want to investigate the wiring is intact and connections are clean on this circuit.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And there are no controllers or regulator involved in my tractor and I don’t think that there are any on your tractor.

But if the regulator is bad or the alternator is bad then you won’t be able to crank the engine fast enough to start.

Also verify the decompression knob is returning completely so you have compression.

Daves 72 kubota

Equipment
L200 kubota
Jun 12, 2021
Spartanburg sc
And there are no controllers or regulator involved in my tractor and I don’t think that there are any on your tractor.

But if the regulator is bad or the alternator is bad then you won’t be able to crank the engine fast enough to start.

Also verify the decompression knob is returning completely so you have compress

Daves 72 kubota

Equipment
L200 kubota
Jun 12, 2021
Spartanburg sc
So - did this happen all of a sudden?

Does the engine start as it should?

Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter? If so - take the top lead off each of the two glow plugs, set you meter to the lowest ohm setting, and place one lead on the top of the unhooked glow plug, the other lead on the battery neg terminal..... tell us what you have? Should have a reading of very close to 1 ohm, if the meter does not show any Ohms - that is your problem.

With the same meter turned to DC volts - place leads on battery with tractor off , should have a ready of something like 12.6 + volts. Start tractor if possible, run up rpms to 2000 - measure at battery again - reading should be close to 14+ volts.

report back your finding.
Yes it happened all of a sudden I did notice the last time it worked. It had gotten really super hot faster than usual so I wasn't sure if it had something to do with voltage regulator

Daves 72 kubota

Equipment
L200 kubota
Jun 12, 2021
Spartanburg sc
Thanks everyone for your help I haven't had time to work on it today I had my grandkids but I will tomorrow and I will post findings thanks again

Daves 72 kubota

Equipment
L200 kubota
Jun 12, 2021
Spartanburg sc
Ok then the coil probably won’t glow enough to see it in bright light.

But the coil could be failed open circuit and needs to be replaced but not a common problem.

I have an older L185 with a similar circuit for glow plugs with the indicator coil. It never glowed unless it was really dim or was held for longer than necessary to start tractor. I replaced it and the glow plugs recently and it does glow better now. I did not check anything before replacing them since I was just rewiring the tractor to eliminate problems.

Both the coil and glow plugs were inexpensive and easy to replace. The glow plugs were a bit of a problem since I didn’t have the proper deep socket to fit so look at that if you decide to replace them.

Circuit was also a bit odd but makes sense when you think about it. In glow position the power flows through the switch to through the indicator coil then to the glow plugs. In the start position the power flows through the switch bypassing the indicator and still powers the glow plugs to help start the engine. Voltage drop in the start position is from the starter.

You may want to investigate the wiring is intact and connections are clean on this circuit.
Well I found out what it was a loose connection that's again for everything