Having a hard time getting attachments on

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
Hey, so new tractor, old(15 years+) attachments. I’m having a really hard time getting attachments onto my pto. I greased everything up good, used a wire brush to clean it before hand, but things just aren’t sliding on there. Any advice?
IMG_2776.jpeg

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Hey, so new tractor, old(15 years+) attachments. I’ve having a really hard time getting attachments onto my pto. I greases everything up good, used a wire brush to clean it before hand, but things just aren’t sliding on there. Any advice?
View attachment 104656
Did you try rotating one spline at a time till it fits?

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Figure out how to loosen the PTO cover and push it towards the implement and out of the way. Attach shaft and then put the cover back into place and attached as needed.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Is the locking push button free to move? I’m sure you know to push it down as you slide the female coupling on.

Reactions: 2 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Are you pushing the "button" on the collar. That releases the balls inside the collar so it can go on. If the balls are rusted/frozen in the collar, you need to get them freed up so the collar will slide onto the shaft.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Check if the pto slides in and out. Pulling it apart and spraying diesel on the shaft so the shaft is well lubed was my fix for a hard to attach pto

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Try installing the PTO on the tractor side first, implement side second.

If you can't slide it on easily clean the PTO shaft splines and make sure the retaining pin/ball bear moves smoothly. Grease and try again.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
too much grease, here and there ? that could 'bung up' the process....
I just use the liquidy 'rustcheck' spray not the thick like undercoat version.
agree the release button/pin HAS to be 'free'
I use one hand to push the pin, other to push the Ujoint on.,find it easier to put right lift arm on,install PTO shaft, then the left arm(gives more room around the shafts. )

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
Try installing the PTO on the tractor side first, implement side second.

If you can't slide it on easily clean the PTO shaft splines and make sure the retaining pin/ball bear moves smoothly. Grease and try again.
I thought about trying that, part of the issue is getting leverage to push it on is a bit difficult when the bush hog is already attached. Ill try your idea next time.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Even if everything is lubed and done correctly, I find installing the pto on my wood chipper a pita. I’m just barely strong enough to hold the shaft in position, push the button and have the splines line up with each other. It doesn’t help that I have a quick hitch on my 3 pt. It just seams to get in the way and obstruct my access. I found that if I use the safety chains on the cover to hold the weight of the shaft it helps with the installation. I also have opened up the clamshell around the flywheel of the chipper so I can turn the shaft to line up the splines, as I can’t seem to find a way to rotate the tractor pto.

firgus

Equipment
L3901HST
Dec 22, 2019
Central Texas
I’m having a really hard time getting attachments onto my pto.
You are not alone. Bending over 90degs and reaching around the various guards and the quick hitch while trying to support a heavy PTO shaft and align the PTO splines with an uncooperative floppy u-joint is challenging. Assuming the u-joint eventually engages the splines then you find that the locking pin has rotated to a position that makes it difficult to push.
I've often thought that if I had two elbows on each arm the task might be easier.

I've been considering one of these:
https://tractorptolink.com/

Curious if you've looked into something like that or if anyone here has experience with them.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
What often happens is that dried out grease and dirt build up in the spring under the locking pin button and it won't depress quite far enough to let it slide on easy. Spray the locking pin inside the splined coupler end and around the edges on the outside. Work it in and out continuing to lube with light oil until it moves easily and you can see the engagement slot in the pin lines up easily with the spline on the inside of the coupler.
Then you should be good to go.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What often happens is that dried out grease and dirt build up in the spring under the locking pin button and it won't depress quite far enough to let it slide on easy. Spray the locking pin inside the splined coupler end and around the edges on the outside. Work it in and out continuing to lube with light oil until it moves easily and you can see the engagement slot in the pin lines up easily with the spline on the inside of the coupler.
Then you should be good to go.
Just what Kubota Newbie said.

You have to have everything clean and free. When you push the pin in it needs to go freely and you need to see a part of that pin has a radiused arc in the center. You have to get that to the center when pushing the splined piece onto the tractor PTO shaft.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Just what Kubota Newbie said.

You have to have everything clean and free. When you push the pin in it needs to go freely and you need to see a part of that pin has a radiused arc in the center. You have to get that to the center when pushing the splined piece onto the tractor PTO shaft.
& I like to hear an audible “click” to let me know the pin/balls have engaged.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I thought about trying that, part of the issue is getting leverage to push it on is a bit difficult when the bush hog is already attached. Ill try your idea next time.
Take off all implements and make sure you can connect things on the tractor side freely.

If you can't then clean/fix the PTO coupler.

If you can then the issue is you and you need to figure out how to position the splines and hold things straight with the implement on.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
My lx2610 is about 2 months old. My new landpride tiller hooks up no issue, but my older brush hog I had the same issue. I've been hooking up ptos on the farm on and off from different tractors and equipment since I was 8. Every tractor and equipment had it's tricks you had to do and some were easier than others. On the pto shaft of the brush hog I made sure the push botton was free and working and still had issues. I scuffed up the pto on the tractor with a wire brush and wiped it clean with an oily rage. That really helped. I pulled the shaft off the brush hog and kept working it on the tractor pto that really helped to. With my injuries I struggle hooking stuff up because of the quick hitch in the way. I actually back up about 6 inches to a foot away from the pto implement, extend the pto and hook that up first then back up and raise the implement. That way I have room to work. Interesting thing is my neighbor has a jd compact with all brand new attachments and he has special easy on and off adapters he bought for all of his ptos.

Last edited: