Has anybody put a mirror on their tractor? Strobe Light?

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I seem to spend a lot of time going backwards. I was thinking it was a good idea to put a mirror on my L3800. I am thinking to bolt one to the hood. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

I found this one:
http://www.themirrorguys.com/Loader-Tractor-Mirror-Kit-Single-Side-DM-934-400-L-R.htm
I don't think it will fit the LA524

I was also thinking to put a strobe light for when plowing the parking lot of my business. Anyone have any suggestion on how to power that up?

Last edited:

jcummins

Equipment
Kubota M7040, F3680, JD Gator 855D
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I haven't yet, but I'm going to fab up a mount for it and use this one.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/46/70/273/1021/-/25102/Tusk-UTV-Mirror-Kit?term=tusk mirror

I've had that mirror on several different utv, golf carts, etc. Has a machined mount that is SOLID...the mirror does not vibrate ... you can actually see out of it. I intend to mount in the same spot on the back of the loader bracket as the one you are looking at.
I like the price, but it comes with a round bracket. I am not sure how or where to mount this. It seems that I would need a mirror with some sort of clamp to go on a flat surface.

What do you think of this one:

http://pistonported.bigcartel.com/product/clamp-on-mirror-orange

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Somebody in here mounted a mirror to a bike kickstand mounted to the tractor a rather nice set up

jcummins

Equipment
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
I like the price, but it comes with a round bracket. I am not sure how or where to mount this. It seems that I would need a mirror with some sort of clamp to go on a flat surface.

What do you think of this one:

http://pistonported.bigcartel.com/product/clamp-on-mirror-orange
Honestly....your vision in it compared to the one I'll use, I think will be bad.

Yes it needs to clamp to a round bar. I'll simply weld the correct size bar to some flat stock. I'll make the bar stick straight up, perhaps fab it so it a little right of that loader flat spot. My exhaust goes up there, and I intend to put the mirror behind the exhaust. I can then mount the mirror at whatever height I want, left/right/in line with the bar then. Believe me...the mount is ROCK solid, and is the key to avoid blurry vision in the mirror.

Wildfire's mount on the smaller tractor look solid.....but to low,and can't adjust left/right/up/down.

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Wildfire, where did you get thise mirrors again? The only disadvantage I see is when the FEL is taking off, no mirrors. I also mow with mine, I know you dont. I thought about adding a golf cart 5 panel wink mirror under the front of my canopy, but I read how poor the mounting system is and it will probably vibrate too much:confused:

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I was trying to avoid drilling into the frame. I guess it can not be avoided.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire's mount on the smaller tractor look solid.....but to low,and can't adjust left/right/up/down.
The mirrors are fully adjustable. Up, Down, in, out, They even fold in out of the way if need be.

Wildfire, where did you get thise mirrors again? The only disadvantage I see is when the FEL is taking off, no mirrors. I also mow with mine, I know you dont. I thought about adding a golf cart 5 panel wink mirror under the front of my canopy, but I read how poor the mounting system is and it will probably vibrate too much:confused:
Ebay for the mirrors. There's a Canadian vendor as well that got them but I'll get the link when I get to my iPad. True about the mirrors when the FEL is off but You will have a hard time seeing out of a mirror on a BX if you mount them to the engine hood due to all the shaking and vibrations.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I used a Trucker West Coast Mirror from the local auto supply and mounted it under my FOPS. Its nice and wide and gives a clear view of what is behind me and makes backing easy without having to turn around. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. It is very solid so no vibration unless ground is really rough.

Attachments

jcummins

Equipment
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
I used a Trucker West Coast Mirror from the local auto supply and mounted it under my FOPS. Its nice and wide and gives a clear view of what is behind me and makes backing easy without having to turn around. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. It is very solid so no vibration unless ground is really rough.
I would like an overhead mirror such as yours, but the way my canopy is made, I'm certain it would vibrate. Given the frame of your canopy....you can't get better than what you got there.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
When i get around to adding mirrors they will be extendable so i can see around my 8' wide camper. I have to pull from the rear its too much tounge weight for the loaders hitch.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I mounted these on our BX. Works great.

As for strobe lights. The main one on the roof of the 5740 and one on the ROPS of the BX.

thread drift alert: Paul it looks like your also a believer in spot mirrors, of all the things that are mandated to be on vehicles that should be on the list.
I treat them like ride bells and give them away. The extra small ones for bikes were a little hard to find but I have them on there too.
If I happen to be in someones car or truck that don't have them a set will be added , sometimes before we finish a trip .
The life that's saved may be mine! or yours......

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Hey Paul I have been meaning to ask you. How much does you ROPS light box weigh without lights? Did it make any or a noticeable difference in the tippyness (if that is a word) of your BX25D?

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I bet Wildfire's light, doesnt weighs that much, 10#'s or less. I added a factory Kubota canopy to my rops and it was nearly 90#. No change in tippyness:D that I noticed. Now I wasnt planning on folding the rops and definitely not now.

Wildfire

Equipment
thread drift alert: Paul it looks like your also a believer in spot mirrors, of all the things that are mandated to be on vehicles that should be on the list.
I treat them like ride bells and give them away. The extra small ones for bikes were a little hard to find but I have them on there too.
If I happen to be in someones car or truck that don't have them a set will be added , sometimes before we finish a trip .
The life that's saved may be mine! or yours......
I personally think the convex mirrors are priceless. I use them on every mirror on every vehicle we own including our motorcycles. They have saved my butt many times.

Hey Paul I have been meaning to ask you. How much does you ROPS light box weigh without lights? Did it make any or a noticeable difference in the tippyness (if that is a word) of your BX25D?
I bet Wildfire's light, doesnt weighs that much, 10#'s or less. I added a factory Kubota canopy to my rops and it was nearly 90#. No change in tippyness:D that I noticed. Now I wasnt planning on folding the rops and definitely not now.
Kbota_Man SLIM is right. Not 10lbs. The module case is fabricated out of 1/8th aluminum plate making it light yet very strong. It's not an easy build but I'm glad to have built it. Used it many times over the summer and very happy with it.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Thank you kindly Sir. With your fab skills What do you think the same type of box would weigh made out of 1/8"-1/4" steel?

Wildfire

Equipment
Thank you kindly Sir. With your fab skills What do you think the same type of box would weigh made out of 1/8"-1/4" steel?
Great question!
Well considering Steel is about 3 times heavier than aluminum. (Steel is about .3 pounds per cubic inch, aluminum is about .1 pounds per cubic inch.) going steel with 1/8th plate would be heavier no doubt but not terribly.

Going 1/4 plate would be out of the question in my opinion. To bulky and to heavy and very hard to work with for that application. Well that's how I see it anyway :eek:

northcop

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 11, 2013
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
For snow removal I'm thinking of just getting one of those magnetic battery operated blue strobes to throw on my ROPS. Seems cheap and easy.

Wildfire, I'm just waiting for the day you throw some spin rims on that little BX. I love your mods! Your youtube videos were a big help for me when buying my BX, especially the one with the chipper demo. Well done!