Harvest time

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
Hi Gang,
My friend and I have been pressing apples for the last 30+ years making cider.
So far we have made 200+ imperial gallons this year so far, with a lot more apples to be picked. Usual year we get 500 gallons.

Gravenstein around here make the best juice usually 15 gallons per pressing and about 18 minutes per pressing.

Best year we did 1600 gallons- We freeze our share, my pal pasteurizes and cans his, then we do a lot of trading

I have a 500 gallon stainless steel milk tank, that we load up with 6 wheelbarrow loads of the left over apple mash then add 300 gallons of water some champagne yeast and some corn sugar. We let it sit .

First year I forgot about it and during our winter freeze up, I looked in and see a huge block of ice. But when I opened the 2" valve in the bottom out poured some liquid. The freezing weather froze the water and left the alcohol - we got 40 gallons that we called Bella Cooler .
cheers
Hank

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding,, I remember as a kid, you would come home from school on Friday and saw what was on the back porch,,, and you knew the weekend was toast, maters, pickles, peppers, apples, pears, peaches, grape juice, all kinds of jelly's. But then I guess that's what kids were for back in them days.
And MAN that was good eatin to be sure

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Outstanding,, I remember as a kid, you would come home from school on Friday and saw what was on the back porch,,, and you knew the weekend was toast, maters, pickles, peppers, apples, pears, peaches, grape juice, all kinds of jelly's. But then I guess that's what kids were for back in them days.
And MAN that was good eatin to be sure
Skeets, that's what kids are for today also. It's just that most parents think their kids should have life easier then they had it....so no responsibilities, no hard work, no chance for failure... which all results in lazy folks with no common sense.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That's a fact,, the Old Man taught me how to work , and through out my life that has never hurt me one bit,, though he never taught me how to like it,,:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That's a fact,, the Old Man taught me how to work , and through out my life that has never hurt me one bit,, though he never taught me how to like it,,:D
My parents charged me rent from age 14 till I moved out on my own at 18. Had to pay for my own clothes, school supplies, & one meal a day also. Taught me hard work & the value of a dollar. Seemed unfair at the time, I knew kids in high school who were given a new car every year, and I had to pay rent to live at home. But it worked with me, can't think of anyone who started with less & ended up with more- but it backfired with my two brothers & my sister. They saw me having to pay rent, and decided they didn't want to pay rent, so they never got jobs. One eventually made it, but the other two have nothing, have accomplished nothing, & they contribute nothing.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
Yep, harvest time for sure. Starting harvest tomorrow on 700 acres of corn and soybeans. Then the fall tillage will begin after the crops are done. Should be done around Thanksgiving. :D

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Yep, harvest time for sure. Starting harvest tomorrow on 700 acres of corn and soybeans. Then the fall tillage will begin after the crops are done. Should be done around Thanksgiving. :D
Your a real farmer!

I am just an old 15 hp bota farmer. That bounty just provides for a better and healthier lifestyle for my bride and I. Some is shared with family and friends.