Harbor Freight Quick Hitch & Titan Heavy Duty Hitch

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have had times where, in a pinch, I rotated the hook and used it as 'pictured' per the green outline. Try not to envy my artistic skill, here.

But I've both box bladed and brush hogged (both 6') *extensively* with the hook in this position and yes, that was with just one hitch pin in the hook. In my setup, the hook isn't long enough to rotate out of position and lose contact with the implement. As long as you only have down force on the implement, it'll hold. It's not ideal but it worked flawlessly and is more what Uncle Sam taught us as "field expedience." I now use the Harbor Freight adapter in all applications and never use the hook. But if you need a way to get by quick without welding anything, I recommend this orientation as a stop gap.
Innovative and effective. I like it.

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
Sgtboz, Thanks for the idea and picture. I can tell exactly what you are saying. Do I need a top link adapter for each implement that requires one? Or do I share one top link adapter between implements? This is a great forum and the members are so knowledgeable and nice. Thanks.

Last edited:

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
SC
Had this in the garage for a week and never thought about using the top hook rotated in that way with only one bolt. Any ideas on how strong or safe it is that way. Here are the pics of it done the way sgtboz showed. Only temporary, I have already ordered a top link adapter. Thanks.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Since you ordered the top link adapter use it when it comes in. However, I woulld not be afraid to use the top link with just one bolt because there is really no weight on it. All of the load weight would be on the lower pins.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Yep, that looks right to me. I've used it this way with an almost 800lb Rhino 172 brush hog, occasionally lifting the full weight of the hog with that one pin, just as you would do while brush hogging a field or loading the tractor on a trailer. Never had any issues during the time I had to use the quick hitch that way.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have the Harbor Freight quick hitch. I love it. I did buy the 'fork' attachment that I use on my bush hog. But I use the hook on my chipper(top holes) and the hook on my weight box(bottom hole one bolt). I never thought about flipping the hook. But I'm going to try it.

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
SC
Ordered from Harbor Freight via phone. Not available in stores or online. $25 including freight and took about 10 days to receive. Agri-Supply shows one that might work on their website for $9.99.

Attachments

EZstreet

Equipment
L3901 HST
Sep 16, 2016
East Tennessee
Sorry Guys,

I meant to say in my post ~$15 + shippping. Didn't mean to mislead you guys.

Description Subtotal
Hitch Adapter(opt) #97214 $15.99
Merchandise Total: $15.99
Shipping & Handling: $6.99
Sales Tax: $1.55
Order Total: $24.53

And yes, LM, I think the one from Agri is the same

EZ

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Have you guys ever tried any kind of quick hitch pins to hold the top hook in? Kinda a pain to unbolt it to use the hitch adapter.
I use pins to hold the top hook on. See the pictures attached.

Attachments

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I wouldn't run like that. With just the adapter it creates a triangle between the upper and lower links, so it's solid. Set up like in the video, the adapter could rotate up and out of the hook. With tension in the adapter (lifting the implement, fit example) there probably wouldn't be an issue, but when dragging a back blade or plow or anything, that should put the to link in compression. That's where it could slip off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks, do you know the dia. Of the pins? What's that hitch called that's bolted to you draw bar? Gotta get one of those.
Those are 1/2" pins. I could not find pins the same diameter as the bolts so I ended up buying the 1/2" pins and drilled the holes on the hook and the quick hitch out to fit them.

As for the hitch, I bought that at the Kubota dealer. It did not have a brand name on it so I suspect that it came from China. It works great though. I use it to move all of the trailers I own, including my 7500 lb travel trailer.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I wouldn't run like that. With just the adapter it creates a triangle between the upper and lower links, so it's solid. Set up like in the video, the adapter could rotate up and out of the hook. With tension in the adapter (lifting the implement, fit example) there probably wouldn't be an issue, but when dragging a back blade or plow or anything, that should put the to link in compression. That's where it could slip off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I am not sure if there really is a danger of that adapter slipping off when set up like in the video. My next door neighbor has been using his brush hog exactly like that for almost 10 years and his has never slipped off. I am not saying it couldn't, I am simply saying that it hasn't so far.