Hanix Little Giant excavator?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My BIL recently got the long face from the doctor, and he is beginning to get his life in order. Pretty sad.
One of the things he has to get rid of is a Hanix Little Giant excavator. A few years ago I saw it, & I had never seen one like it (and I like the odd stuff) and told him I really liked it.
He asked yesterday if I was interested in it, and I said yes, depending on the price.
He said he would get back with me in a week or so with a figure.

I know it's old, it has steel tracks, (anything vaguely recent has rubber tracks) and it is tiny. He said when the tracks got so loose they would not stay in place, there were no tracks available for it, so his mechanic just removed one track pad to shortened them up. That's about all I know, other than he dug 400+ft of trenches when he built his off the grid home, septic system, and metal out buildings. Has an 10" and a 16" bucket.

Anybody have any experience with them? Things to watch out for? Advantages or disadvantages? Parts availability?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think it is about this size, but with steel tracks. (and not this new)
8045_3415321023940.jpg

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, RC54-71B, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I know nothing about them, but it's cute. Like a 1/4 scale locomotive that you sit on and ride around the garden. A micro-ex, as it were.

Looks like it would be handy for confined spaces and small jobs though. You could squeeze that in where a tractor mounted backhoe won't fit. Probably dig trenches fast than a BH too.

If the tracks are stretched out to the point that a pad could be removed and yet still get the track back on, I'd guess they are pretty much done. Not gonna pull that stunt a second time, that's for sure! I wonder if it could be converted to a rubber track somehow, but I doubt that would be cheap even if it were possible.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
They are Japanese:

Nissan Nagano and now Hanix are well known brands in Japan all coming from the same quality manufacturer. Originating from the Handozer Industry Ltd co in 1963 they were one of the first true 360 excavators built in Japan

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the info. From what I can gather they are more common/popular in England than the US.
BIL said he used to worry about parts availability, but he claims it never breaks down and it has been pretty bullet proof.
I don't worry too much about hard parts, (shafts, sprockets, track pads & pins, etc) because I can make stuff like that; but seals, bearings, electronics, carb rebuild kits and the like might be problematic.

It's funny, when I searched "removing track pads from stretched tracks" I found pages of opinions ranging from "I've been doing it for 50 years with no problems" to "You will ruin sprockets & drive line components is short order." Seemed to be about a 50/50 split.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks like it would be handy for confined spaces and small jobs though. You could squeeze that in where a tractor mounted backhoe won't fit. Probably dig trenches fast than a BH too.
One of the main reasons I'm interested; my land is heavily treed, and most of the work I've done so far with my B7100 could not have been done with a larger machine without dropping some trees. (and I like the cover)
Besides digging speed, another advantage is that it is a lot more powerful than my B670 backhoe. It isn't physically much larger than the B670, but BIL showed us pics of it lifting generators, battery packs, solar array frames, wind mill tower components, LP tanks, and such that I know my B670 couldn't budge.

I have a digging job sometime in the future it ( about 105' of power line trench from the cabin to my storage container) and this would be superior to my tractor mounted hoe. (hard ground & lots of rocks)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Been a while, but I think I am proceeding with this purchase. (about 90% sure)
It is rough, but seems to run well, and everything works.
I have the price down where I need it, and there seem to be two possible stumbling blocks.

One, it is about a foot too tall to fit in my garage, so I will have to look at shortening/folding the ROPs &
top.

Two, I am getting conflicting info on whether or not I can replace the old, worn out steel tracks (no longer available) with new rubber tracks.

If I can firm up those two questions, I will purchase it.
Here is a video of a slightly newer one, same model, but with rubber tracks:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, RC54-71B, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
That one looks bigger than the top picture. The blade is wider, the rest might be illusion due to the ROPS.