H4 LED Headlamps

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Finally getting around to installing LED headlamps in my M9960 and L6060. Both models use H4 lamps which I now have.

Headlamp sockets are not easy to see and removal of original Halogen lamps is not obvious. Do lamps twist out for removal from rear of socket? Does wiring connector pull off without twisting or releasing any type of latch?

Do not want to damage Halogen lamps in case new LED assemblies do not fit.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Don’t know specifically, and can’t find a good pic of the back side of the housing on either tractor, but here is a WAG…

The connector should just pull off those bulbs.

then you need to remove the rubber cover on the back side of the housing. Your M shown, the L was similar
3CDC47A4-A5E4-4518-B4EF-EEC7642DC2BF.jpeg

From there they may twist in, but those bulbs typically have a wire retainer.

ex-
779EE99B-8958-4844-A1DC-8DBE50862FAF.jpeg

If it has this style with wire retainer be very careful with the tab on the housing that the clip secures to, they tend to get brittle with age. When I worked with a Japanese auto brand that used this style I had a lot of customers break the tabs on the housings that are only serviced with a complete assembly.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My M5660 has a wire bail that you unlatch and swing out of the way...same lamp and fixing method as a 2003 Honda Odyssey. I believe the wire connector has a latch on it that must be depressed. New LEDs will not fit through the rubber boot.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Y
Don’t know specifically, and can’t find a good pic of the back side of the housing on either tractor, but here is a WAG…

The connector should just pull off those bulbs.

then you need to remove the rubber cover on the back side of the housing. Your M shown, the L was similar
View attachment 72831
From there they may twist in, but those bulbs typically have a wire retainer.

ex-
View attachment 72832
If it has this style with wire retainer be very careful with the tab on the housing that the clip secures to, they tend to get brittle with age. When I worked with a Japanese auto brand that used this style I had a lot of customers break the tabs on the housings that are only serviced with a complete assembly.
Yes, I can see the wire bails.

Does one simply swing the bail away from the socket releasing the bulb?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Y

Yes, I can see the wire bails.

Does one simply swing the bail away from the socket releasing the bulb?
the wire should engage a tab on the housing that holds it in place. Typically you would push the wire (towards the housing) and then move it to the side to clear the tab, then it will swing out of the way.

sorry if this sounds confusing, Im not sure exactly how they are on your tractor.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
These are kind of pricey, but they are a direct fit including the rubber boot. This will give you an idea what to look for if shopping around. However, I have purchased twice from these guys before and they sell good stuff and they have a lot of helpful and educational videos of their testing on YouTube. That will help you to make the right purchase.

H4 LED

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
These are kind of pricey, but they are a direct fit including the rubber boot. This will give you an idea what to look for if shopping around. However, I have purchased twice from these guys before and they sell good stuff and they have a lot of helpful and educational videos of their testing on YouTube. That will help you to make the right purchase.

H4 LED
Indeed, they are pricey.

Already have two pairs of lamps.