Guns...Times have changed...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I may be old and slow but my left leg would be heading to this clown's nut

actually better to nail his kneecap(closer and he will bend down,hard
THEN fist through his nose.
odds are good he'll be dead ,for sure NOT a threat anymore.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Strange video of this. Looked like the slowest knife advance I have ever seen. Zeldin never even dropped his microphone. He certainly did not display any defensive moves for being attacked.
I may be old and slow but my left leg would be heading to this clown's nut while my left arm would be heading towards his face.
I would also fire my entire security team !! How does a drunk get on stage with a weapon. He should have been down or dead before he hit the top step. Hired security does carry, even in NY.
Yep something very strange about this whole ordeal! I share your thought.. that was like slo-mo.. everyone waited for this to happen, even the congressman, he seen him coming.. seems set up... it looked like this guy had no intentions in using that gadget, I dunno maybe they "politicians" just have no idea what it's like living in the real world.😧

There's other footage of this up close and right in front.. they've played it over and over..

Some security team..😏

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yep something very strange about this whole ordeal! I share your thought.. that was like slo-mo.. everyone waited for this to happen, even the congressman, he seen him coming.. seems set up... it looked like this guy had no intentions in using that gadget, I dunno maybe they "politicians" just have no idea what it's like living in the real world.😧

There's other footage of this up close and right in front.. they've played it over and over..

Some security team..😏
Yes, it was half-hearted attack by a person that clearly has mental problems. But an attack nonetheless.

And yes, there was poor situational awareness. But this wasn't a 'set up', just an unfortunate event.

Reactions: 1 user

Low Lander

Equipment
1980 B6100 4WD, 2005 TG1860 mower and 2020 1025R JD w/FEL & BH, 2016 GR2120
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
I was thinking about when I was a kid...now 75, so that was a while ago.

We had a local thrift store, and they had a barrel that was filled with rifles...I remember what me and by buddie bought was a 303 something or other.

Being teenagers of some age, well under age of 18, we just wanted to have some fun I guess. We soon, for reasons unknown to me, cut the barrel off, and fired it a few times and then lost interest. What were we thinking? I don't remember. I do remember a 12 inch flash coming out of the short barrel though...we also could buy ammunition at the local hardware store, no questions asked, since back then no questions were needed to be asked.

Back then nothing evil was ever thought of. Back then I guess times were different, or people were different. Don't know...

My guess is that cut off barrel rifle ended up in the trash. Don't remember...wasn't a big deal back then.

I am not a gun guy, but miss the times when owning a gun was no different than owning a pair of shoes.
I was reading the posts and kinda got lost. I came back to Henro’s post. I’m 65 and can relate. Seems like I got my first BB gun in grade school. Most boys had one. Once you shoot a sparrow you kinda figger out not to shoot people. Dad gave me a 22 at about 13-14. Took the NRA safety shooter class at 14 in 4H Club. Shorts were a penny each. I lived about 2 blocks from the Arkansas river. Back then it wasn’t a navigation channel and you could walk across it in the summer. My friends, cousins and I shot turtles on drift wood. I had a 22 semi auto and a 20 gauge on my gun rack in my first pickup. It was a status symbol as was the curtains in the back window. Drove to school, ball games, every where then. The one observation I’d make, not only was it easy to own one, you didn’t have to worry about someone knocking out the window and stealing them. We went squirrel and rabbit hunting a lot. After the first deer I killed with my truck, I never caught on to deer hunting.
Another observation reading other posts is about “AR’s”. People commonly mistake the style of weapon as an automatic or assault rifle. AR stands for the “Armalite Rifle” or the M16 from the Vietnam era. I own 2, a HK and a S&W MP10 308. But while the Armalite style is associated with military weapons, very few are Armalite’s. The public, LEO’s and gun enthusiasts recognize these style rifles as fully auto. Very few are. Bump stocks make the fire at full auto rates. Where I’m going is AR’s get a bad rap. You can shoot and kill with shotguns or many other calibers. Hand guns, rifles, it doesn’t matter. Even small capacity guns can be devastating with training. They can be reloaded extremely fast. But just remember an AR style weapon is not an Armalite Rifle 5.56 OR .223 whatever. Watch Quigley Down Under. Even a single shot can be fired pretty fast.
I’ve got a .303 Enfield jungle rifle my FNL gave me before he died. Hell of a gun. Every bit as powerful as my “AR10”. And it almost 100 years old. Finding ammo hadn’t been a problem. Education is the key. People who don’t know about guns should know the facts and gun owners need to learn how to shoot and handle guns safely. Yes I do exercise my 2nd amendment rights and EDC. I have a CCP and have taken several classes. I pray I never have to fire a weapon. At least I can and will shoot or shoot back. It’s just the times we live in. We can’t go back. (Easily)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont think the AR is the mad dawg killing machine they make it out to be, I mean after 4 guys bust in to a store one has an AR and the old man had a shotgun. The semi bad guy ran out of the store screaming ,he shot my arm off he shot my arm off,,

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I dont think the AR is the mad dawg killing machine they make it out to be, I mean after 4 guys bust in to a store one has an AR and the old man had a shotgun. The semi bad guy ran out of the store screaming ,he shot my arm off he shot my arm off,,
Sadly, he didn't quite get his arm shot off....but I'm sure it made an impression.

Next time maybe the perp will get his damn HEAD shot off.

My hat is off to the store owner....defending himself and property.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Might want to add this. Based on the 15 years of each party with president in white house.
Granted the top 1% did much better under the GOP. Most of us never saw those breaks.

"During the most recent 15 years during which Republicans have held the presidency, the value of the Dow has increased by 42%. During the Democratic presidencies, it has increased by 609%- 14.5 times faster. The average growth in the value of the Dow under Democrats during this period has been 14.75% and under Republicans it has been 5.11%. (In case you are wondering, the reason the ratio is higher for the total is compounding.)" source http://politicsthatwork.com/graphs/dow-jones-performance-by-party
The "1%" supposedly do better under republicans because of tax cuts but the stock market makes gains at rates several times faster under democrats?
That doesn't make any sense.
Most of the the "1%" get rich from financial markets and don't actually produce anything.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The "1%" supposedly do better under republicans because of tax cuts but the stock market makes gains at rates several times faster under democrats?
Most of the the "1%" get rich from financial markets and don't actually produce anything.
The 1% do not play the market like the rest of us. My little bro used to talk about his company loaning hundred's of millions over night for investment. The return was huge! They PLAY the market while us common folk invest.
I asked if I could put my retirement money into his firm. He told me to add at least two more zero's and I could talk to a junior person about it.
Now back to guns.

Low Lander

Equipment
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma

"it can be considered to be an indictment against my profession"

^^^^^^

Quite prophetic words I'd say.

As I don't understand why 'winning at any cost' is acceptable in the practice of law, but disparaged outside of that structure. Shouldn't Lawyers be as truthful, moral and intellectually honest as any other group?

IF everyone had scruples, principles and a conscience....maybe we wouldn't need so damn many Lawyers and times would not be as litigious as they are.

As with many things in life....if you watch the little things...the big things will mind themselves. No excuses for certain groups or venues.
It’s all about money. Poor want it easy, rich never get enough.

Low Lander

Equipment
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Biker1mike wrote:

If they are not interested in their retirement plan they will NOT have a retirement plan. I am not a finance guy just a techie that got good advice early on. It was that if you do not pay attention and plan long term you will work until you die. I worked with several guys that are screwed and plan to work well into their late 70's or longer before they can retire.

No argument about the need/wisdom of having a retirement plan. But my point was whatever the stock market did in the past is exactly that (in the past, history and nothing can be done about it). Current stock trades/values are up and down as always, no one is screaming about that. BUT current fuel prices and general inflation is taking a bite out of all businesses. People are feeling it and that is what is on their minds right now.

As to the fly over folks. Pretty sure the market price of wheat, soybeans, beef and pork are of big interest to the growers. If the commodities market for a certain product tanks , a bunch of farmers/ranches are sure to notice.

You've limited the argument to agricultural commodities, but that is fine, they represent a large portion of cash receipts from the sale of U.S.-produced farm products. ( cattle/calves, corn, soybeans, dairy products/milk, miscellaneous crops, broilers, hogs, wheat, chicken eggs, and hay)

So....pricing of those commodities is important to the grower/producer. But from that pricing must come the growers 'profit'. What are their costs to produce the commodity and bring it to market. Can they maintain their profit 'margin' amid ever increasing regulations, taxes, decreased subsidies, etc...

So if we were to break it down further (in order for it to be meaningful).... were growers better off under certain administrations than others? Farmers/Ranchers don't really care if the DOW on the whole grew more under DEM's than REPUBs if most of that lined the pockets of those on Wall Street and other trade considerations.

The economy cycles and always has.
Agreed! And always best when fairly stable.

Inflation and recoveries are hard but can be planned for.

Yes, in fact.... you might even say this bout of Inflation WAS 'planned for' (manufactured). Or at least should have been anticipated when you print and dump trillions of dollars into the economy what do you think is going to happen when it starts being spent.

My sympathy for young people that have not learned this yet. U.S. history in schools do a great job of not explaining how our markets actually operate.

Young people.....! Hell our elected officials don't even seem to know this. There is NO hope for the up and coming Young People. Move over America. China will be the new Super Power in my lifetime (and I'm old). At least they run their government like a business. Our country is trillions of dollars in debt and it is getting worse by the day.

This is the product of having incompetents in powerful positions. Reckless spending and no accountability. Been going on for decades. Just a big damn 'boys club' there is DC.
Yeah what’s sad is we elect them thinking they’re gonna fix it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
These types of statements really irk me, because if it weren't for the money that is used to buy stocks, businesses wouldn't have the capital needed to expand production and hire more workers. Don't make the wealthy out to be the bad people, just because they worked hard and improved their lives. I am not talking about people that inherit their money or those that win the lottery, but good honest people that got up every morning went to work, and succeeded in their life's goal to be able to make a better life for themselves and their family members. Some of our members are these types of people, and there is no reason that they should be ashamed of being part of that 1%.

gfortjr

Equipment
kioti lb2204
Jul 17, 2022
greenville ohio
I was thinking about when I was a kid...now 75, so that was a while ago.

We had a local thrift store, and they had a barrel that was filled with rifles...I remember what me and by buddie bought was a 303 something or other.

Being teenagers of some age, well under age of 18, we just wanted to have some fun I guess. We soon, for reasons unknown to me, cut the barrel off, and fired it a few times and then lost interest. What were we thinking? I don't remember. I do remember a 12 inch flash coming out of the short barrel though...we also could buy ammunition at the local hardware store, no questions asked, since back then no questions were needed to be asked.

Back then nothing evil was ever thought of. Back then I guess times were different, or people were different. Don't know...

My guess is that cut off barrel rifle ended up in the trash. Don't remember...wasn't a big deal back then.

I am not a gun guy, but miss the times when owning a gun was no different than owning a pair of shoes.
when you have a government that wants to remove all guns not just the illegal guns but all snd not hold the people accountable for there illegal activities and sell us out to china that’s the problem not the guns

Low Lander

Equipment
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
The old man saw them coming and knew what to do. Unfortunately he had a heart attack after the confrontation. The perp probably thought the long gun would scare him. If he’d had a concealable weapon, he may have got a little closer to the register.

Low Lander

Equipment
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
when you have a government that wants to remove all guns not just the illegal guns but all snd not hold the people accountable for there illegal activities and sell us out to china that’s the problem not the guns
The government doesn’t want to take our guns. That’s the biggest deterrent to keep North Korea, China or Pootin from attacking us. WE are more powerful than the military in some respects.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The old man saw them coming and knew what to do. Unfortunately he had a heart attack after the confrontation. The perp probably thought the long gun would scare him. If he’d had a concealable weapon, he may have got a little closer to the register.
Understand that was written tongue in cheek ;)

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
My Dad had a bad gun experience so he never had guns but he let my uncle give me a J.C. Higgens Sears .22 single shot when I was 12. Dad taught me how to safely use the rifle and he would take me plinking. That rifle sat in my closet, not locked up, and it was never an issue with me or my younger siblings. Times have changed, I think it's spelled RESPECT per Aretha Franklin.

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I have an idea about how the 'government' will try to remove 'legal' guns, but I have no idea on how the government will remove illegal guns. Any guesses? :oops: