Guns...Times have changed...

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

The short version is that SCOTUS ruled that the 2nd Amendment is a right and has to be treated as such and the the New York law created under burden on the right.

The biggest 2nd Amendment case in years, guessing since the Heller decision.
Is good to see, I got my CCP in NY about 6 months ago and my wife is waiting for hers to be processed. I'm lucky to live in the North Country. We don't think like the rest of this State and are solid RED.

Reactions: 2 users

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Is good to see, I got my CCP in NY about 6 months ago and my wife is waiting for hers to be processed. I'm lucky to live in the North Country. We don't think like the rest of this State and are solid RED.
There are some of us in the western portion of the state that think rationally. Laughing, the North country does not have a monopoly🗽🗽

Reactions: 1 users

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
“Shall not be infringed” wasn’t clear enough, they had to sue.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep, same here 100 miles south on Route 12 .

Had CCP since mid-80's. Was the default back then.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I did have a CCP in Maine and New Hampshire and traveled alot to Vermont but no permits were ever needed there. Now Maine and New Hampshire have followed President Sanders lead(Bernie from Vt not the colonel from Kentucky) and no permits are needed. Load up, carry conceal no issues. I was headed to Bass Pro in Hookset NH a few years ago and was stopped in Concord for going right on red. The first thing the young female officer asked was "are there any weapons in the truck?" I certinly like not have to renew a CCP every few years.
I let my CCP expire one year and had to take a firearms class to get my CCP again. I was pissed at the time. But looking back I learned alot from that class that I refer to many times in a year.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I travel (drive) out of state a lot, all directions, lots of times it’s North East as the in laws live in NY. It’s always interesting that it seems like all states acknowledge and except other states (even other countries) driver liscense no matter how shitty the people from other states drive. I believe there is also interstate commerce clause…interesting that doesn’t apply to our 2A rights? Can one state not accept another states DL? And then why can one not recognize another’s CCW? Or even just The simple personal excercise of the 2nd amend as a visitor or passerby?

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I travel (drive) out of state a lot, all directions, lots of times it’s North East as the in laws live in NY. It’s always interesting that it seems like all states acknowledge and except other states (even other countries) driver liscense no matter how shitty the people from other states drive. I believe there is also interstate commerce clause…interesting that doesn’t apply to our 2A rights? Can one state not accept another states DL? And then why can one not recognize another’s CCW? Or even just The simple personal excercise of the 2nd amend as a visitor or passerby?
I agree on the CC permit, with exceptions. With a driver's license, you have to pass a written and practical exam before getting a driver's license.

Granted each state has a minimum requirement for the written and driver's test. Each state may vary a little bit on the driving test, but the basics are there.

Each state has different requirements for a CC permit. Some states don't require one.

I'm for CC permits being recognized across all states. But each state has to adopt a minimum agreed upon standard. Arkansas requires a state and federal back ground checks as well as a 6hr CC course that covers basic gun laws, shooting safety and fire arm safety, as well as range time to prove you can hit your intended target.

This same course and background check are required to renew your CC permit as well every 5 years.

Arkansas CC permit is one of the most widely recognized and accepted CC permits by other states due to the requirements.

Arkansas also has a policy. If you don't recognize and accept our state CC permit, we won't accept yours.

Arkansas does not accept a few states CC permits that do accept ours, but it's due to that states more lenient requirements or lack of a back ground check before issuing.

With growing up and spending 22 years in Vermont, I can say that I have traveled through New York with a vehicle full of guns on multiple occasions. 😁😁😁

New Yorks policy for the most part is guilty until proven innocent if found with unlicensed (with the state of NY) guns in your vehicle.

If transporting through the state, make it obvious that they are just being transported. Keep them locked up in cases. Ammo locked in separate cases. And keep them in the trunk, or behind the seat if in a regular cab pick up. If a pistol is found unsecured in easy reach, you will go to jail. Any federal transportation argument goes out the window and is invalid at that point. And for God sakes, stay away from the I95 corridor and away from NY city when traveling through NY. You pass through too many states with similar veiw points as NY.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I
I agree on the CC permit, with exceptions. With a driver's license, you have to pass a written and practical exam before getting a driver's license.

Granted each state has a minimum requirement for the written and driver's test. Each state may vary a little bit on the driving test, but the basics are there.

Each state has different requirements for a CC permit. Some states don't require one.

I'm for CC permits being recognized across all states. But each state has to adopt a minimum agreed upon standard. Arkansas requires a state and federal back ground checks as well as a 6hr CC course that covers basic gun laws, shooting safety and fire arm safety, as well as range time to prove you can hit your intended target.

This same course and background check are required to renew your CC permit as well every 5 years.

Arkansas CC permit is one of the most widely recognized and accepted CC permits by other states due to the requirements.

Arkansas also has a policy. If you don't recognize and accept our state CC permit, we won't accept yours.

Arkansas does not accept a few states CC permits that do accept ours, but it's due to that states more lenient requirements or lack of a back ground check before issuing.

With growing up and spending 22 years in Vermont, I can say that I have traveled through New York with a vehicle full of guns on multiple occasions. 😁😁😁

New Yorks policy for the most part is guilty until proven innocent if found with unlicensed (with the state of NY) guns in your vehicle.

If transporting through the state, make it obvious that they are just being transported. Keep them locked up in cases. Ammo locked in separate cases. And keep them in the trunk, or behind the seat if in a regular cab pick up. If a pistol is found unsecured in easy reach, you will go to jail. Any federal transportation argument goes out the window and is invalid at that point. And for God sakes, stay away from the I95 corridor and away from NY city when traveling through NY. You pass through too many states with similar veiw points as NY.
I would not put it past the Empire State to dig through postings if an opportunity arises and take your note there as a confession of guilt (but I get it😉)…takes a lot of talent to come up with the laws on the books in that state….it’s honestly maybe one of the best state in terms of out doors and what nature has to offer…Adirondaks, upstate is the best, Catskills, finger lakes Great Lakes, ocean coast western NY Niagara, plenty of beautiful places and people in between…hunting fishing hiking climbing whatever…it’s awesome, but I’ll be damned if some assholes from the city have not ruined it. No real industry other than grifting in the city to speak of, but on the bright side I met my wife as she was out this way for school and work. I think I got the best of what that state ever had. Their loss.

Reactions: 3 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I
I would not put it past the Empire State to dig through postings if an opportunity arises and take your note there as a confession of guilt (but I get it😉)…takes a lot of talent to come up with the laws on the books in that state….it’s honestly maybe one of the best state in terms of out doors and what nature has to offer…Adirondaks, upstate is the best, Catskills, finger lakes Great Lakes, ocean coast western NY Niagara, plenty of beautiful places and people in between…hunting fishing hiking climbing whatever…it’s awesome, but I’ll be damned if some assholes from the city have not ruined it. No real industry other than grifting in the city to speak of, but on the bright side I met my wife as she was out this way for school and work. I think I got the best of what that state ever had. Their loss.
In my case, the times traveling through new York, I was either moving or helping someone else move to another state.

If I ran into any beef with the police over having the guns in the vehicle I would have found that TV lawyer looking to make a name for themselves and sick them on anyone and everything related to any charges I would have faced starting with false imprisonment, harassment, and anything else they could think of.

Guns were in locked cases, ammo was packed in the bottom of another box with the rest of my hunting stuff. Plus the uhaul trailer or pickup bed full of belongings.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In my case, the times traveling through new York, I was either moving or helping someone else move to another state.

If I ran into any beef with the police over having the guns in the vehicle I would have found that TV lawyer looking to make a name for themselves and sick them on anyone and everything related to any charges I would have faced starting with false imprisonment, harassment, and anything else they could think of.

Guns were in locked cases, ammo was packed in the bottom of another box with the rest of my hunting stuff. Plus the uhaul trailer or pickup bed full of belongings.
What I have come to realize is it does not matte what we think is right, the only thing that matters is what the law says, whether it is right or not.

Glad you made your trips without issue. Sort of like speeding in a zone that should be higher than posted. Get caught, pay the price. Hard to argue the law is wrong...when it is actually the law, no matter what we think.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
What I have come to realize is it does not matte what we think is right, the only thing that matters is what the law says, whether it is right or not.

Glad you made your trips without issue. Sort of like speeding in a zone that should be higher than posted. Get caught, pay the price. Hard to argue the law is wrong...when it is actually the law, no matter what we think.
They get people transporting fire arms threw new York all the time.

I knew people that lived in Vermont who did hunting trips in Pennsylvania yearly.

That's the reason why I stated that you need to make it obvious that they are being transported and not for immediate use. Keep them locked up, and out of reach. The state has to follow the interstate transportation guidelines. Just don't give them a reason to second guess it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would bet there will be court cases in the not to distant future challenging the ability to deny out of State residents from carrying.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I would bet there will be court cases in the not to distant future challenging the ability to deny out of State residents from carrying.
We can only hope! November can't here get fast enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

majorwager

Equipment
We can only hope! November can't here get fast enough.
Forced reciprocity? Sadly might be a bridge too far. This court has gone the extra mile for 2A rights. Actually milestones. The greater concern is not more leniency, but the age of two Justices. This court also has deep reverence for State's Rights. In balance, we might cherish this ruling & look @ the waiting period since Heller. Protests @ their homes & threats against families does take a toll. Perhaps the incentive shall be the overreaction from certain States to dilute the ruling. CA & NY are already preparing to cross the line.
But as stated by others, remember, those cases are slow walked through the system by a progressive bench, delaying appearances on the high court calendar, while the current Nine remain seated.

majorwager

Equipment

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The direction might be dependent upon a person's Compass🙈🗽🇺🇸 bipartisan is a cloak often worn by members not seeking re-election, Just opinion.
Almost made a comment, but then realized it would likely be a political statement, and we all know those are not permitted here for the most part... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users