Guns...Times have changed...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I find it very funny and odd that you assume a semi automatic is any less accurate then a bolt action. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say you've never shot one, and if you did it was an entry level firearm. Your distain is noted and understood. We get it, you don't like them because they look scary. That does not mean other people fear them, or don't use them. On the contrary they are used in all sorts of hunting and sporting applications. The statistics speak for themselves and are easily found.
Most of my guns are semi automatics. 3 out of 4 pistols, a 12 gauge shot gun, and a 270 are all semi automatics. Then I have a lever action 30-30, single shot 20 gauge, and 22 magnum revolver.

3/4 of the guns were gifts or inherited.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sorry the ar-15 has been marketed as a sporting rifle since its inception. the m-16 wasn't adopted till 1963-64. Demonstrations and proto types were being reviewed by the military in 60.
And concurrently being sold to the public as sporting rifles in semi automatic version.
Now there you go, putting facts out there. Next thing you are going to be telling people that "AR" doesn't stand for assault rifle.

You must be one of those uninformed crazy gun people. :D :)

PS-don't tell anyone, but the US Military found the M4 platform lacking and has signed a contract to replace all those guns.

PSS-6.8mm SPC cartridge was designed to address the deficiencies of the terminal ballistics of the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge currently in service with the armed forces of all NATO-aligned countries. The 5.56mm caliber was standardized by NATO in the 1980s and has been used by members of the alliance since then. The 5.56mm ammunition, however, is not suitable for close-range engagements apart from lacking stopping power.

Adding links to above information:

Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I hate to do this, but I'm giving some of y'all the Fudd title. You know who you are. (All in good fun :ROFLMAO:)

Fudd.jpg

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
If a person wants a weapon because they believe they are going to need to murder 20 - 30 people in a horde that is out to get them, they most likely should not have any weapon. A great reason for true background and stability checks. Home defense is valid .
I guess you missed the riots of 2020 that caused billions of dollars damage and killed several people.

AR-15 had/has a great marketing team. If it is #1 for hunting , great, an American business success story.
It is still a weapon based on maximum kill ratios.
The M16 (not AR15) replaced the M14 because it is lighter and the smaller .22 caliber vs .30 ammunition would substantially increase a soldiers load out. A great advantage of the M16 and its ammunition was its lightness. The M14 and 100 rounds in magazines have a weight of 16.5 pounds. The M16 and 250 rounds also weighed 16.5 pounds. Meaning that each combat soldier and Marine could carry at least twice as many rounds for the same weight. There is no magic destructive element of the ammunition.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I guess you missed the riots of 2020 that caused billions of dollars damage and killed several people.

The M16 (not AR15) replaced the M14 because it is lighter and the smaller .22 caliber vs .30 ammunition would substantially increase a soldiers load out. A great advantage of the M16 and its ammunition was its lightness. The M14 and 100 rounds in magazines have a weight of 16.5 pounds. The M16 and 250 rounds also weighed 16.5 pounds. Meaning that each combat soldier and Marine could carry at least twice as many rounds for the same weight. There is no magic destructive element of the ammunition.
The only reason the ar-10 wasn't adopted years earlier was the barrel couldn't pass the torture test. A barrel made of a new class of steel was submitted but the m-14 had already been selected by the military.

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
I find it very funny and odd that you assume a semi automatic is any less accurate then a bolt action. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say you've never shot one, and if you did it was an entry level firearm. Your distain is noted and understood. We get it, you don't like them because they look scary. That does not mean other people fear them, or don't use them. On the contrary they are used in all sorts of hunting and sporting applications. The statistics speak for themselves and are easily found.
My M1A will out shoot the Husqvarna all day long.
With the M1A I can consistently place rounds on a 1964 Pontiac car door (blue in color) at 1200 yards.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Couldn't disagree more with your 'single points of entry' comment; it's BY FAR the easiest, most common, most reliable and simple method of controlling access to schools. How you figure that it would 'result in far more avoidable deaths' doesn't make sense to me. EDIT: All access points remain usable (for fire exit), but persons entering the facility do so thru one monitored (secured) entry point.

NO security improvements would ever be instituted if they were 'against fire code' or 'would result' in 'avoidable deaths'. The FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE for every school is the four walls! Controlled, monitored access to a school should be considered as a BASIC POLICY for any school security protocol.

One of the biggest problems I saw during my tenure as a school resource officer was students & faculty leaving doors open for access or environment attenuation (despite it being policy for locked doors & single-point building access).

The failures of the PD in TX needs to serve as a wake-up to all LEO's. Children are innocent & defenseless. A sworn LEO that does not IMMEDIATELY address that kind of threat is not doing his/her job.

Just my opinions, based on 23 yrs LEO service, 10 years as school resource officer.

2nd EDIT: I would like to say that my comments are intended to answer the concept at discussion, not disparage any member in any way; I've read numerous postings by radas and I know he's a solid contributor to this forum (y)
Interesting, you have to clarify you were not directing a comment to a specific person, who's contributions are not about tractors, but off topic subjects that you quoted to disagree with.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
Now there you go, putting facts out there. Next thing you are going to be telling people that "AR" doesn't stand for assault rifle.

You must be one of those uninformed crazy gun people. :D :)

PS-don't tell anyone, but the US Military found the M4 platform lacking and has signed a contract to replace all those guns.

PSS-6.8mm SPC cartridge was designed to address the deficiencies of the terminal ballistics of the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge currently in service with the armed forces of all NATO-aligned countries. The 5.56mm caliber was standardized by NATO in the 1980s and has been used by members of the alliance since then. The 5.56mm ammunition, however, is not suitable for close-range engagements apart from lacking stopping power.

Adding links to above information:

AR is short for ArmaLite Rifle

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
My statement was based on fact, single point entry/exit is not code compliant. Nice try.

Interesting, you have to clarify you were not directing a comment to a specific person, who's contributions are not about tractors, but off topic subjects that you quoted to disagree with.
😂😂😂 The pot calling the kettle black. Your statement shows a lack of understanding only because I've hurt your feelings in the vaccine thread and this one for not confirming to groupthink.

Screenshot_20220529-102054.png

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
My statement was based on fact, single point entry/exit is not code compliant. Nice try.

😂😂😂 The pot calling the kettle black. Your statement shows a lack of understanding only because I've hurt your feelings in the vaccine thread and this one for not confirming to groupthink.

View attachment 80934
Speaking of grouprhink...."guns r bad" "ar15s are scary" "more regulation needed"

Lol

• Haha

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Interesting? How?....This thread is 'off topic' for a tractor forum IMO...My post reiterated my intention to address the 'topic'....Not bang on anyone, I'm appreciative of meaningful contribution. I guess I just wanted to smooth over my post a little after reflecting on it for a period after posting.

:)

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

View attachment 80934
Only one point of entrance is required. 😉😉😉 It's the amount of exits required that meet the code in case of emergency.

How many entrances are there to a movie theater versus exits?

Same with restaurants? Or any other public venue??

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Speaking of grouprhink...."guns r bad" "ar15s are scary" "more regulation needed"

Lol
...? Who said ARs are scary and guns are bad? Guns in the hands of unstable people is what's bad hence the need to restrict the ability to purchase. Go back to trying to overthrow the government from your computer chair.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Only one point of entrance is required. 😉😉😉 It's the amount of exits required that meet the code in case of emergency.

How many entrances are there to a movie theater versus exits?

Same with restaurants? Or any other public venue??
I understand, and agree with you.

Although most venues, restaurants, and theatres have at least 2 entrances 😁

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I understand, and agree with you.

Although most venues, restaurants, and theatres have at least 2 entrances 😁
As far as schools, in our area the schools external doors are locked. Parents are directed to one door, which is next to the office in most of the buildings and has an intercom and camera. The office staff are then able to buzz you in. Students showing up late, have to go to the buzz in door.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Yeah, clearly @jyoutz has no experience with AR style rifles and their capabilities. I put together an AR chambered in 6mm ARC last year. It's a Frankenstein but with good components and this is how it shoots Hornady factory ammunition. 5-shot group at 100 yards, squares are 1". I changed the stock and the suppressor but it's basically what I show below.

I haven't worked up a hunting load for it yet, but I would certainly use it on deer and coyotes once I have a good Barnes LRX load figured out. Heck, I'd shoot a coyote using Hornady factory ammunition.

View attachment 80927

View attachment 80928
Looks like it's pulling a bit to the left. Just kidding nice grouping and gun!

fishdrivel

Equipment
b2501
Nov 24, 2020
georgia
I was thinking about when I was a kid...now 75, so that was a while ago.

We had a local thrift store, and they had a barrel that was filled with rifles...I remember what me and by buddie bought was a 303 something or other.

Being teenagers of some age, well under age of 18, we just wanted to have some fun I guess. We soon, for reasons unknown to me, cut the barrel off, and fired it a few times and then lost interest. What were we thinking? I don't remember. I do remember a 12 inch flash coming out of the short barrel though...we also could buy ammunition at the local hardware store, no questions asked, since back then no questions were needed to be asked.

Back then nothing evil was ever thought of. Back then I guess times were different, or people were different. Don't know...

My guess is that cut off barrel rifle ended up in the trash. Don't remember...wasn't a big deal back then.

I am not a gun guy, but miss the times when owning a gun was no different than owning a pair of shoes.
I'm not quite as old as you but I can remember walking down the street with my .243 Winchester on my shoulder. Nobody paid any attention. This was in California!
Can't imagine doing this today. I'd make the national news.
Can you imagine the PETA chicks when they saw me dragging a deer back to the house?

• Haha