GST Operating Gear for Bush Hog

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
I have a L4330 GST with a Woods B72 Brushbull. Both the tractor and rotary cutter manuals call for the PTO to be operating at 540 rpm for best results. Kubota's are high rpm engins. Running at about 2,550 rpm compared to other brands that have an average of 1,750 rpm to turn the PTO at 540.
My question is what gear selections are common for running this equipment?
Let's assume level grade, no major obstacles or hazards, and fields cut twice a year on average.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's really for you to find out.
4th gear what might be good for one person and conditions, where 6th gear might be good for another person and condition.
Just take it out and start off slow and work your way up till it feels right.;)

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
Good advice and thanks.
Is there any rule of thumb guide for blade rpm to distance traveled that gives you the biggest bang for the buck without wasting fuel / time?
I'm all for 6th gear plus on the flat and dry if it gets the job done right.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Play with it and feel it out on the terrain. You don't want to haul ass back and forth like your qualifying in Nascar but then again slow as a snail isn't very productive either. If you happen to have the owners manual somwhere in there it should give you a break down of MPH in each gear.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Good advice and thanks.
Is there any rule of thumb guide for blade rpm to distance traveled that gives you the biggest bang for the buck without wasting fuel / time?
I'm all for 6th gear plus on the flat and dry if it gets the job done right.
There's no rule of thumb, just do what these guys said.

6th will probably be too fast unless the grass/brush short.

Also, I don't run mine at 540 pto rpm. I run my L3800 at 1500-2200 rpm when mowing. Works better for me...

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
Thanks Eric and Blugill. So dirt track style cornering is frowned upon. Point taken! ;) I'll leave my #18 hat on the rack next time out.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I run mine up till it's starts to bog down a little and then shift a gear lower. Sometimes some spots are tougher than others in the same field so it's common to take it one up or down while cutting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ya really cant drift a Bouta :D
Wanna bet on that?

You ain't driven around my place with me, I can punch it in 5th and keep her side ways for a good 100ft!:D

Not nuts...ok maybe a little...just slippery ground to play on.

Real fun one was almost taking her for a 360 spin down my 10% grade driveway in the last snow storm, lets just say my shorts weren't brown when I started!:eek: Thank goodness for the fat bottomed girl, she kept all 4 wheels on the ground! Hope to get getting chains, wheel spacers and ballasted tires before the next go around! Oh and the studs for the front wheels are on there way along with the rest of the 4x4 parts, ( The genius mechanic left the front driveshaft out on the botched trans rebuild :mad:).

Skeets aren't you a "Drive it like you stole it" kind of guy?

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Wanna bet on that?

You ain't driven around my place with me, I can punch it in 5th and keep her side ways for a good 100ft!:D

Not nuts...ok maybe a little...just slippery ground to play on.

Real fun one was almost taking her for a 360 spin down my 10% grade driveway in the last snow storm, lets just say my shorts weren't brown when I started!:eek: Thank goodness for the fat bottomed girl, she kept all 4 wheels on the ground! Hope to get getting chains, wheel spacers and ballasted tires before the next go around! Oh and the studs for the front wheels are on there way along with the rest of the 4x4 parts, ( The genius mechanic left the front driveshaft out on the botched trans rebuild :mad:).

Skeets aren't you a "Drive it like you stole it" kind of guy?

ANNNDD yet you want to bust the other guys balls for having problems with his B3200 and it rolling down hill. NICE! Way to go role model!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's the way I roll!:D

Oh and I didn't take out an insurance policy on my non-accident a day AFTER my non-accident and expect payment.;)
And I don't blame Kubota for my driving skills, I own those!:p

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
I raced my bush hog a couple of times coming out of the corners. :D

I did make the mistake of trying to down shift while going down a hill. I think I clutched it, rather just shifting, and then rode the brakes until I could find the right gear. :eek:. After that I just put it in a low at the start of the grade.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
These tractors have stright cut gears, they are not syncroized like a car. You cant really clutch and shift.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These tractors have stright cut gears, they are not syncroized like a car. You cant really clutch and shift.
What????
I think you better tell the transmission in mine that they are strait, they are certainly not!
Also I have a fully synchronized transmission, I can change any gear at anytime without a problem!
Just because your B6100 grinds gears doesn't mean they all do!;)

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
I have the GST, and I can shift at any time without having to clutch, but there is that slight hesitation between gears that can throw you. When I clutched it, it just started rolling down the hill and with the brakes locked and sliding, I wasn't sure what gear to reach for. Too low and I feel like I would tip forward, too high and it wouldn't have helped.
Keep the rubber on the ground!

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
So today I am out bush hogging at a leisurely gear selection of 4, and the PTO toned down to 450. Somehow I managed to run over some old tension wire! Today I am thankful that it wasn't barbed!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've done it with barbed wire over this summer took an hour+ to peel it all out!
Check the blades and if it hit any seals, I knocked one of mine out!