Grinding Sound from Rt Ft Wheel

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I need some input please...
I have a grinding & cracking sound from the Right Front Wheel BUT only when I turn the wheel as far as it will go.... Makes no difference if it's RT or LF. it has a grinding sound and as well as a cracking sound.
Would it be easier if I just purchased the entire front wheel assembly, ie the bevel gear case and the front axle case. And just replace everything new?

I'm thinking about this only for the down-time..

What's the consensus of opinions..?:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are a fair amount of parts in there, and the idea of just buying the whole assembly sounds real expensive! :eek:
Pull it a part and find out what parts you need there are several suppliers that can get you parts quick.

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
There are a fair amount of parts in there, and the idea of just buying the whole assembly sounds real expensive! :eek:
Pull it a part and find out what parts you need there are several suppliers that can get you parts quick.
^^What he said.^^ Even overnight shipping of the whole assembly would only be $150. Second day $40-50. Far cheaper than the whole thing if you need only a couple parts. Hope it's just a small fix.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im suspecting a failing bearing. Cranked over hard would
Load the bearing. Dismantling the knuckle
Is pretty straight-forward. A couple hours
and you will know what the problem is.

My local dealer is very good with providing
parts breakdowns when ever i need them.
That alone is what makes them stand apart
From other colored dealers.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Thanks for the input...if I did have to pull it apart, then I'd probably order all the replaceable parts anyway. I figured once I spent the time to pull everything out it would be foolish to not replace everything, wouldn't ya think??

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Thanks "tooljunkie" for your input....I'll certainly consider your advise. My parts book shows just a few parts and the proper dis & re-assembly of the assembly. Appears as thought its just bearings and seals inside and a of course add a new wheel gasket.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Well Guys thanks for all your inputs.....mystery solved.
Yesterday I decided to tear into the wheel and finally fix it. Well low and behold it was the fact that 3 of the 4 nuts were loose. Probably the reason the 4th wasn't loose was because who ever replaced the tire before I bought the tractor had crossed the threads and it took a impact socket 1/2" drive and a 3 foot bar to break it loose. The wholes in the wheel had rounded out and was slipping on the hub with every turn.
So I ordered a new wheel and nuts, but may not use the new nuts ordered I may just replace them with nylon locking nuts just to play it safe. At least the hub and bearing are ok. Sure could have been worse...:eek:
Again thanks for everyone's input.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I love it when a plan comes together,, even more so when it works out to be a really simple fix:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes and a cheap fix too!
I would avoid changing the lug nuts to Nylon ones, I've yet to find ones that are as hard as the lug nuts.
Just a spot of blue Loctite and they won't go anywhere unless you want them too!
Caution: don't use the red it's a little too strong and can be a pain to get off!

Last edited:

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Thanks N.I.Wolfman, you've made this another great day for me, I learned something new..Red vs Blue Loctite.
As for the nylon nuts, I don't believe they have to be hard just that they don't loosen up. I purchased this tractor 2 mts ago. And never checked the wheels except that they weren't flat.
Anyway, I'll give em a try (nylon). Just check em after each use for the next month or two. Then make a decision based on how they work out.
I not sure the nuts were ever tightened after the previous owner replaced the tire.....OR they may have been and just worked themselves loose. Either way when I ordered the new wheel I also ordered new nuts just in case..cheap insurance. This way if the nylon's don't work out I can replace them with originals.

My philosophy is,"better to have it and not need it, they to need it and not have it.":rolleyes:

Last edited:

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Finally located another set of fronts for the ovaled out stud holes, giving me that cracking/grinding sound I was hearing. Sand blasted them, primed-em, and 3 coats of finish paint. :)
Also put on a new set of rubber on the reconed wheels, a Happy Camper Now!

Attachments