Great tractor, not so great operator

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
There was a thread a while back about shop 'moments' but this is strictly tractor related.
Finally got some snow this week, but it ended up being very wet and heavy, slushy ice underneath. We have an uphill driveway, with one spot on a bit of a side slope. Everybody here knows that if you lose traction there driving a front wheel drive, STOP. Any movement will get the front end to slide sideways and down onto the grass. So my daughter properly left the car there when she came in from work, 10 pm.
I was a bit pleased - finally able to play in the snow, and a real job to do as well. I hooked up the portable winch cable, figuring to use the tractor as an anchor, but it easily pulled a car more twice its weight up the hill & to the flat area. That was the good part.
Problem 1 - There was this black lump on the driveway - the remains of my flashlight. Oops.

Problem 2 - Tractor stopped running and did not restart. Maybe the summer fuel had gelled. Oops - forgot to check the fuel level. At least it stopped right under my yard light. Add some more fuel - less than a quart in the jerry can. Get the wrenches & bleed the lines. Easy job, but not in the dark in the snow and rain. I am supposed to have the driveway clear for 8:00 am, people coming early.

Problem 3 - Hands a bit numb, crank it over, that doesn't feel right. Key broken off in the ignition.

At that point it was about midnight, so I gave up and went inside to thaw out in a nice warm bath.

Got it working fine in the morning, no permanent harm done. Must try to be less careless next time.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Glad you got her running. I would have had a restless night of sleep worrying about my tractor. I have six grandchildren and the wallpaper picture on my phone is of my Kubota. My wife gives me the devil about that.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
VIC your problem is your buying the wrong flash light. What you need is a flash light to end all flash lights. You need a Stream Light. Those little gems are built tough as hell and can withstand alot of abuse. Stream Light flash lights are designed for the fire and rescue services. Built to be water proof, chemical proof and shatter resistant. They are not a cheap flast light by any means but you get what you pay for. I purchased a flash light and spent around 140 bucks for it. Best of all they are rechargeable so as long as ya keep em charged most if not all have an 8-10 hour run time on a full charge!

Take a peek at the line up! http://www.streamlight.com/product/default.aspx?hid=2

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
A good flash light is a worthy expense.
I like the Pelican brand. Have about a half dozen of them.
The pen light model (L1 I think) is only about $20 and worth it.
I prefer the ones with a push button on/off.
I have one where you twist to light up. I find the battery dies quicker in this one.
I'm convinced its from the twist cap.

They also make great hard cases, of which I have 5.
My nice camera gets a case as well as the gps, fish finder, etc.
A little one can fit keys, digital camers, and a lighter.
Only way to go for boating.
The small cases are affordable as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The stream lites looks pretty ok,, but the list no price, and like Dad use to say if you have to ask what it costs you cant aford it

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
LED flashlights. that all i use now. long battery life and the are compact
and they are not expensive any more, the 1 watt light that uses 3 aaa batterys fit in your pocket. the nice thing about the aaa batteries i always
have lots on hand for my cordless puter mouse. another thing about
the led lights they use double a,s or thriple a,s and these batteriesare cheap.

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I like the cheap LED lights also. Bought a pack of 5 flashlights that came with 15 AAA Duracell batteries for the cost of just the batteries.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Water proof is a must.
Bonus if it floats.

I can't speak highly enough of Pelican cases and flashlights.
Service is terrific as well.

I had to replace cap on a flashlight.
It finally broke after 10 years of bumps, drops, and general abuse.
I emailed Pelican and a new part arrived at N/C 3 days later.
Turns out being the wrong part, my fault and not theirs....
3 days later the correct part shows up at N/C.
And that's how you gain a customer for life.

Affordable as well.
Mighty lite is roughly $23-$26
L1 is perfect for key chains $12-$15
Cases start at about a dozen dollars.