Greasing Front Axle Support

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
On my L3200HST 4WD the manual says to remove the breather plug when greasing the front axle support. The plug is one of the square head bolts and I can't get it out. I seem to recall someone saying that the axle could be under pressure. Is that possible? Or should I just squirt some bolt remover in there to try to loosen it up to remove it? I need to finish my grease job.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
the pressure issue would only be a couple of pounds at the most. The plug is probably just stuck, never been removed before.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They probably put some thread locker on it from the factory.
There is a square drive socket that really helps to get them out.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
8 pt socket and an impact if you can get to it. If not the breaker bar and cheater pipe. Have had to weld a nut from a 3/4 bolt on some, And then had words with the idiot who put the plug in with an impact afterwords ;)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Use an 8-point half-inch (if you have 1/2, or 3/8 otherwise) drive socket and a cheater pipe on a break-over bar. Try soaking in Kroil or other penetrant first and let soak.

If you try using an impact on a standard non-impact 8-point square socket you'll probably split it---the socket---in half.

A big Sears is the best place to find standard 8-point sockets. Determine the size by checking using a standard open-end wrench.

If you suspect OEM thread-locker try heating a big soldering copper iron or other chunk of metal and holding it to the stuck plug for a minute then be prepared to get on it with a socket before the locker solidifies. I would't use direct flame heat.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.