Grease zirk on MMM

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
Hello all
In servicing my mower deck I managed to break a grease zirk. It's a RCK60B-23BX. I was wondering what the zirk thread size is in this. I managed to get the remains of the zirk drilled out, and now need to chase the exposed threads before reinstalling a new zirk - Do I need to get a SAE or metric Tap and die set (yes, this is an excuse for yet another set of tools in the garage...) The threads look salvageable, and I figured I just need to chase the threads to clean the last bits of zirk out of em.

Needless to say there were MANY bad words strung together in creative ways when this happened.

Thanks!

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
It's more than likely metric. If you've got a set of calipers and good eyes you can measure the pitch accurately enough for an identification by holding it up to a light. A set of thread gauges in metric and sae is a wonderful thing to have for identifying threads.

That said the most common metric grease zerk uses an M6x1 thread. However the ones on my L175 were the much less common M6x0.75 so unless someone else (*cough Vic) can tell you with confidence what it is you'll need to measure the pitch. Or just buy one of each :D The more tools the better! Make sure it's an M6 though, they do make bigger ones.

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
Thanks - That's what I needed. I went ahead and ordered an Alloy Tap and Die set in both SAE/Metric, I'm not sure if it has what I need, but it has all the rest of the basic tools so I could just add what I need to it. It has a M6x1, so I shall hope =-)
Thanks!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I went ahead and ordered an Alloy Tap and Die set in both SAE/Metric
Thats what I would tell the "Financial Advisor" aka Wifey-Poo that I needed to do the job right :p Like shoes for a woman a man can never have toooooo many tools :D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It's more than likely metric. If you've got a set of calipers and good eyes you can measure the pitch accurately enough for an identification by holding it up to a light. A set of thread gauges in metric and sae is a wonderful thing to have for identifying threads.

That said the most common metric grease zerk uses an M6x1 thread. However the ones on my L175 were the much less common M6x0.75 so unless someone else (*cough Vic) can tell you with confidence what it is you'll need to measure the pitch. Or just buy one of each :D The more tools the better! Make sure it's an M6 though, they do make bigger ones.
The BX series and attachments are actually built in the United States so there is a god chance it is SAE. I really don't know though!
Ed

Alloy Snake

Equipment
L4240,Lowry 6 foot mower,6 foot tiller
May 16, 2011
Jacksonville,FL
On my Fel the 1/4 inch zerks fit fine,The lincoln brand I put in seemed of much higher quality than the bits and pieces I took out,Hope that helps.

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
I have to admit I use any excuse to outfit the garage better. Course my wife does the same for cloths. I should save up for the electrician that I will need to run a better setup out to the garage, someone thought it was a good idea to run a 24x36 garage with about 100' run of 12awg wire. That will stress the checkbook (stupid copper prices).

It looks like the set I ordered has a couple of thread gauges so I should be able to figure it out.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I should save up for the electrician that I will need to run a better setup out to the garage, someone thought it was a good idea to run a 24x36 garage with about 100' run of 12awg wire. That will stress the checkbook (stupid copper prices).
I should and do feel very lucky my father-in-law is a Journeyman Electrician and when I built my shop he came over and installed everything I needed and mite need down the road and a few things I have not a clue what they are ;) You can almost perform an open heart sugery in there with all of the lights. Pre ran welder outlet (I don't know how to weld yet) the most distance to an outlet is 10' from anywhere in the shop. Yes I am very lucky :D

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
the most distance to an outlet is 10' from anywhere in the shop. Yes I am very lucky :D
My buddy wired my garage.
Also pre ran for welder AND a shop heater.
When we installed outlets we made sure to put them just over 4 feet high from the ground. This way I can always get to them regardless of how much stuff is on the floor, and in the way.