Grease is grease or is it?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Today I greased one of my snowblowers, getting it ready to sell. I had a problem getting on one of the fittings, so I decided to buy a Lock N Lube to make it a little easier. Watched a video on the comparison of some of the other brands that are available. That led me to this video comparing grease.........

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Any grease is better than no grease. But the right grease is best. IDK that there is any one brad or type better than another. Only ones better suited to a particular application

Reactions: 1 users

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
If you mix incompatible greases they make black sludge and that black sludge has very little lubricating value. Just pick one and stick with it.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Project Farm is a nice channel. I love the contraptions he comes up with.
Red and Tacky is an amazing grease - very difficult to remove if you overdo it.

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
In the quarry ind. most of my life. A Moly grease for impact / Slow moving / IE loader pins. High temp for fast moving Mower blade hubs . But as Said ANY GREASE IS BETTER THEN NO GREASE. If you going to use only one I would use a high temp. Just My 2 Cents

Reactions: 2 users

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I started with Lucas Oil X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease- can / should I switch to red and tacky or keep using the x-tra ?

I did not realize that xtra was not lithium. it is polyurea

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I started with Lucas Oil X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease- can / should I switch to red and tacky or keep using the x-tra ?

You are fine/better with a Polyurea grease; it is what I use.

Here is Messick's on grease (polyurea as a one grease solution):

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I used the green for a while but switched to the red because the green seemed to wash / wipe away too easily for me. I switched to Sunoco red because I got tired of red oil dripping from my grease gun when the temp got above 80*.
Should you switch?…. Your call.
If you decide to switch or continue the green… stick with your choice.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
I will be leaving my tractor on my island property in the near future. The saltwater air destroys everything out there. The parking lot at the marina looks like a Tiawana parking lot. Lots of 20+ year old rust buckets. I have a 1980 suburban out there that is so rusted out after 10 years, the tailgate is about to fall off when I open it up. :ROFLMAO:

I used a lot of different high-quality grease in my motocross days. I was partial to the salt water resistant type for my wheel bearings and shims. I'm not sure yet if there is something similar that will mix well with Kubota's default choices.

I do like the idea of using Molly on high impact points. I recall it holding up well to severe abuse because it still provides some lubrication after it dries up due to the graphite content. Experience from working on poorly maintained vehicles.

I'm thinking I may stick with whatever Kubota uses due to the theory of not mixing different chemical makeups. But when the time comes, I will be researching they "type" and most likely finding the highest quality I can find, yet still compatible. At least until I do my own teardowns.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Canadian Tire stocks and sells Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty grease.
Internet shows CT stocks it in Ontario, but apparently not in any Nova Scotia stores.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I will be leaving my tractor on my island property in the near future. The saltwater air destroys everything out there. The parking lot at the marina looks like a Tiawana parking lot. Lots of 20+ year old rust buckets. I have a 1980 suburban out there that is so rusted out after 10 years, the tailgate is about to fall off when I open it up. :ROFLMAO:

I used a lot of different high-quality grease in my motocross days. I was partial to the salt water resistant type for my wheel bearings and shims. I'm not sure yet if there is something similar that will mix well with Kubota's default choices.

I do like the idea of using Molly on high impact points. I recall it holding up well to severe abuse because it still provides some lubrication after it dries up due to the graphite content. Experience from working on poorly maintained vehicles.

I'm thinking I may stick with whatever Kubota uses due to the theory of not mixing different chemical makeups. But when the time comes, I will be researching they "type" and most likely finding the highest quality I can find, yet still compatible. At least until I do my own teardowns.
I have the same issue my tractor shed is 200 ft from the ocean and everything rusts here. I am not sure what to do I am hoping fluid film will help on the metal as far as the grease I am not sure I have started using lucas xtra which is polyurea based but if there is something better for saltwater I would gladly switch. everything here is coated in salt. we get very strong winds that cake salt on everything. The last big storms we had the spruce needles were embedded in the salt stuck on the vinyl siding of the house

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have the same issue my tractor shed is 200 ft from the ocean and everything rusts here. I am not sure what to do I am hoping fluid film will help on the metal as far as the grease I am not sure I have started using lucas xtra which is polyurea based but if there is something better for saltwater I would gladly switch. everything here is coated in salt. we get very strong winds that cake salt on everything. The last big storms we had the spruce needles were embedded in the salt stuck on the vinyl siding of the house
Fluid film should offer some protection for steel items used/stored near salt water.
For many years I have used LPS-3,...... a product that I know works!.
LPS-3 has a USA Mil Spec., while Fluid Film does not.
Mil Spec. certified items are those which the USA military has tested and approved for use (harsh outdoor environment).

LPS-3 is advertised as providing protection against harsh/corrosive environments for up to two years.
It does!
It works!
Dries to a brown, waxy soft surface, similar to military "Cosmoline"

For 15 years I had a waterfront place in Shelburne, and for the past 80+ years I have lived very near the ocean on Cape Cod.
I do totally understand that the Fundy shore is worse!

Anything steel that I leave outside gets treated with LPS-3.
It can be bought in aerosol cans (quite expensive), but by the gallon is much more cost effective.
I have bought it in both 5 gal. pails, and 15 gallon drums.
It is excellent for rust proofing automobiles (I know, you NS folks use motor oil, but LPS-3 is MUCH better, because it adheres to the steel, and does not wash off easily.

LPS-3 is not often found in hardware stores, (I doubt that either Princess Auto or Home Hardware sells it) but may be found in commercial marine supply stores, and some auto supply stores.
Though it is sold to everyday consumers, and has been around for many years, it is not widely known, even in the USA.

Amazon.ca has it listed.
Nearest supplier to you that I could find, is Source Atlantic in Truro 902-897-0787
Source Atlantic is also in Halifax, and Dartmouth, with several more in NB.
For economy, buy the gallon size (probably marked 3.78L in CA.)

The airline where I worked for 33 years, coated the cargo compartments of every new airplane delivered with LPS-3, to protect the aluminum from animal urine corrosion.

Last edited:

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
Fluid film should offer some protection for steel items used/stored near salt water.
For many years I have used LPS-3,...... a product that I know works!.
LPS-3 has a USA Mil Spec., while Fluid Film does not.
Mil Spec. certified items are those which the USA military has tested and approved for use (harsh outdoor environment).

LPS-3 is advertised as providing protection against harsh/corrosive environments for up to two years.
It does!
It works!
Dries to a brown, waxy soft surface, similar to military "Cosmoline"

For 15 years I had a waterfront place in Shelburne, and for the past 80+ years I have lived very near the ocean on Cape Cod.
I do totally understand that the Fundy shore is worse!

Anything steel that I leave outside gets treated with LPS-3.
It can be bought in aerosol cans (quite expensive), but by the gallon is much more cost effective.
I have bought it in both 5 gal. pails, and 15 gallon drums.
It is excellent for rust proofing automobiles (I know, you NS folks use motor oil, but LPS-3 is MUCH better, because it adheres to the steel, and does not wash off easily.

LPS-3 is not often found in hardware stores, (I doubt that either Princess Auto or Home Hardware sells it) but may be found in commercial marine supply stores, and some auto supply stores.
Though it is sold to everyday consumers, and has been around for many years, it is not widely known, even in the USA.

Amazon.ca has it listed.
Nearest supplier to you that I could find, is Source Atlantic in Truro 902-897-0787
Source Atlantic is also in Halifax, and Dartmouth, with several more in NB.
For economy, buy the gallon size (probably marked 3.78L in CA.)

The airline where I worked for 33 years, coated the cargo compartments of every new airplane delivered with LPS-3, to protect the aluminum from animal urine corrosion.
Thank you, I appreciate this recommendation!

Here in the US its readily available.

It also looks like a great solution for retreating the metal working machines in my shop. I'm not sure if the manufacturers used the same product, or Cosmoline, but whatever it is, it's held up really well for about 5 years now. The time is coming soon to go back over everything, and this looks like the perfect solution. Not many things worse than having new machines get rusted from just sitting.