Grease gun recommendations

RicheyR

Equipment
Kubota B2601 land pride forks, LA434 loader a 60" mid deck
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana
Looking to buy a grease gun for my new Tractor. I have 11 hours on it and need to grease. Looking for a high quality, easy to use, flexible grease gun that is hand operated, not air compressed. Appreciate your time in helping a noob!

RicheyR

Equipment
Kubota B2601 land pride forks, LA434 loader a 60" mid deck
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana
Anyone have experience with Lucas oil heavy duty pistol grip grease gun? Reviews on Amazon look good.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Richey - welcome to the orange madness forum! You have exactly one hour more on your tractor than I do! I too want the best grease and grease gun and quickly learned that it's the same idea on my 1952 Massey (that we just gotta hang on to!). It's GREASE IT - the kind ultimately is less important than doing the job. Although there are good heavy duty high temp greases out there, most will tell you just a good quality used liberally will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Whatever you end up with, put a LockNLube tip on it. Best greasing investment you'll ever make!:)

jcummins

Equipment
Kubota M7040, F3680, JD Gator 855D
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
Got a Dewalt that uses the batteries from my drills......one of the best tool buys I've done.

It's still a messy job for me, but it really helps with the greasing chores.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Welcome! The older grease guns from the 60's-70's are the ones I use. Just replace the hose/tip if worn. Where? Yard sales and auctions. Most of the families of loved ones passed on have no clue what a grease gun is and they are always available at estate auctions. Think about it. Gen X and forward may own MTD's and their clones with a brand name on it. They never saw a grease fitting let alone a grease gun. New and older Lincolns are great. Without the cartridge, a good one will weigh over 4 lbs. Older good ones go almost 5 lbs.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have an assortment,lever type with a solid tube. A couple lincoln pistol types, one has a double length hose makes akward fittings easier. IMG_2957.jpg
Tried this last week, what a difference when wearing nitrile gloves. Locknlube is nice but i can see it being difficult in tight spots where this simplifies it. Been wracking my brain trying to figure out something to help my failing grip. This was it.

I use the heaviest grease i can find. Hard to pump, but doesent leave without permission.
The light moly grease (black slimy) i find requires more attention. I grease something almost every day,and the black runny stuff is by far the dirtiest to deal with.

Auto service for a living, and so many techs refuse to grease because it takes too long. As a lead hand for 3 years it was frustrating busting guys for not doing their due dilligence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
After the first time with a pistol grip gun lubing my tractor I bought a DeWalt 20v grease gun and it is great. I only wish Makita made one because all my other battery powered tools are Makita.

Jbird

Equipment
L4600, loader with brush crusher 4000, pallet forks, rototiller, box blade,ZD326
Mar 14, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
I use an air powered grease gun, I like it. I have also been using a cheap paint gun , pressure gun from harbor freight, to spray my equipment with Fluid Film, works great to protect against corrosion.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use a fully auto Lincoln for most of my greasing. Lincoln electric for when I'm away from home and a couple hand guns I keep in the shed just when I need a few shots on something.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I understand it's pneumatic, but I love this setup.
I think the CH gun was $15 on sale at TSC, and the $40 lock n lube makes it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
Got a Dewalt that uses the batteries from my drills......one of the best tool buys I've done.

It's still a messy job for me, but it really helps with the greasing chores.
I did the same thing. It's take me like 5 minutes to grease my B2601 with very little mess and almost no swearing.
IMG_0172.jpg

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have 2 and for the life of me don't know brand names was has flexible hose and the other rigid tube.

I like Lucas Red and Tacky grease. You can find this grease most anywhere, I get mine by the case from Wally World.

Like most say most important is to grease it.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I did the same... got a 20v dewalt grease gun. I'm kind of embarrassed because it cost so much, but I have gotten so sick of greasing with the 35 year old large tube grease gun and a small tube gun... what a mess they make. I figured I needed to make it quick and easy, or I would not do it as much as I should. This new (very expensive) dewalt works great. No air, and no mess. Simple, with a shoulder strap to carry it around... push on fitting and squeeze the trigger for a few seconds. So easy I do not mind greasing anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
I did the same... got a 20v dewalt grease gun. I'm kind of embarrassed because it cost so much, but I have gotten so sick of greasing with the 35 year old large tube grease gun and a small tube gun... what a mess they make. I figured I needed to make it quick and easy, or I would not do it as much as I should. This new (very expensive) dewalt works great. No air, and no mess. Simple, with a shoulder strap to carry it around... push on fitting and squeeze the trigger for a few seconds. So easy I do not mind greasing anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Another vote for the Dewalt here. I'm new to tractoring myself and have never used a grease gun before but the reviews for the Dewalt were excellent and I like Dewalt to begin with so I bought one; love it. For a new guy like me it makes the job simple and easy.
No matter what you use though, I'd recommend a box or two of rubber gloves.