Grapples?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Thoughts on landpride SGC 1060, anyone have any experience with these or heard much about them.. can’t wait on EA 55”….. looks like built pretty good just haven’t seen much on performance of them other than utube
You have a lot of choice in grapples for your Mx, I also run an MX with a large 600lb grapple 60 wide. The EA wicked grapples are great quality and are a good option for smaller tractors, they are expensive.there are many options from Vernig, Loflin or MTL attachments.

If I was buying another model today for my MX I would buy an MTL RX -7 60 inch wide, they are in stock and delivered for$1,699.

Your MX will lift a lot with a large grapple. Good luck making a selection.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Your statements are misplaced.

1) Talking about the value of serrations has nothing to do with EA; many/most manufacturers (including Land Pride) have serrations on some or all of their grapples. Artillian has serrations on the top and bottom of their grapple teeth.

2) Comparing serrations on a grapple to serrations on a knife blade for cutting is not a valid comparison, as they are different implements used in very different ways. In terms of cutting, a knife blade (serrated or not) predominately cuts by being drawn against the surface of the material. Serrations on the teeth/tips of a grapple only interact in a very limited way in that manner. The grapple's teeth can only be pushed/pulled against the material for a very short distance; the grapple teeth cannot penetrate the material/ground (unless it an unusually light material) beyond the reinforcement bar spanning the grapple teeth. Under these circumstances, is there an advantage to having serrated teeth - probably. Is that advantage significant/meaningful - probably not. Smaller material will be severed by the pressure of the grapple teeth, and items too large to be severed by pressure will not be sawn by limited serrations combined with the limited linear motion of the grapple teeth.

3) As to serrations improving the grip of the grapple, most grapples only have serrations on the teeth tips. When grasping materials, serrations on the teeth tips may or may not contact the material in a meaningful way. If you are grasping a pile of brush, only a small portion of the brush will be in contact with the serrations. If you are grasping a large object like a log, the amount of contact with the serrations depends on the size and shape of the object. I would note that EA does have an advantage in this area as their serrations extend far beyond the tooth tips. The real question is how much do serrations help. With common objects/materials, I doubt they provide any meaningful benefit. Brush piles - the serrations are only in contact with a small portion of the brush (at most the majority of the perimeter, with many only a few inches); the majority of the brush pile is held by friction/pressure against itself. Logs - probably the greatest chance of serrations providing an advantage; tip only serrations may or may not even contact the log. However, extensive serrations, like EA, would ensure contact. Presuming good contact, is this extra holding power significant/meaningful? How often do you grasp/carry a log that any serrations make a difference?

4) Serrations can also be problem with hard objects, like rocks. If you are grasping a common large, irregularly shaped, semi-smooth rock with a grapple equipped with extensive serrations, the serrations may cause the rock to lock into a position with very limited contact inside the grapple jaws. In a grapple without serrations, the rock would slide against the jaws allowing more closure and contact.

My grapple does not have any serrations, and I have yet to encounter a situation that serrations would have meaningfully improved its performance. Similarly, I have yet to encounter a situation where serrations would have diminished my grapples' performance.

So, I am skeptical of the benefits of serrations on grapples by any manufacturer - at least as it applies to compact/sub-compact tractors. A view that might be worthy of discussion, but hardly a view that should evoke hostility.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well it looks like you have the 2+2 all figured out. Now you just need to figure out how to total it. Again, try googling it, just make sure you search for "old math" so it adds up right!

Reactions: 1 user

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
So, I am skeptical of the benefits of serrations on grapples by any manufacturer - at least as it applies to compact/sub-compact tractors. A view that might be worthy of discussion, but hardly a view that should evoke hostility.
I dunno what that whole other stuff was about, but, I've not seen an instance in my limited use of my grapple where serration would be a benefit.

Mainly use mine for wood cutting. So, grapple moves logs and brush to and fro.

Reactions: 1 users

Popgadget

Equipment
L6060
Mar 11, 2020
PA
One thing about the EA grapples is that they are comparatively light, maximizing the lifting capacity of your tractor. The light weight is offset by the use of stronger alloy steel so they are as strong or stronger than others. I have a 60” EA wicked root rake style for my L6060, and am very happy with it. The long wait was frustrating, but already forgotten now that I have it.

Reactions: 1 users

jimmyob

Equipment
LX3310, loader, forks&spade, grapple, post puller, stump bucket, WM8H, brush hog
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
All good stuff! I'm looking at stump grapples for an LX3310. LA535. Small stump work and rocks. I don't want to get one that's more than this tractor can handle. I'd really appreciate recommendations. Thanks!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well going on two years with my EA 55" grapple and it is amazing the work you can accomplish. It is tool I didn't realize I needed.

20201128_092843.jpg

20201221_113915.jpg

20210109_100536.jpg

Resized_20191221_120549.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users