Grapples

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
So does 525KG include the weight of the implement or just the bare arms? Since the implements are all over the place weight wise I would assume that is bare arms.

Here is 900# well forward of the pins - 525# grapple and 375# log). I had to curl to get the log to the back of the tines to lift it. Not quite full height since I am not comfortable with that big over hang at that height but it showed no reluctance to going higher.

That is pretty indicative of the stuff I am moving. Most are smaller and lighter. The large diameter {20"+) ones get cut a lot shorter.

Dan
Bare FEL, no implement. Basically you are dangling a wire off of the end of the FEL at the pin to do the test.

Ouch that’s a pretty heavy grapple for the capacity. Ah well if it works for ya You are good. If you ever Need more capacity, sell that one and get something in the 250-300# range.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yeah, I don’t plan on lifting much. But I don’t want to kill the tractor just with the weight of the grapple. I would also like to leave some room in case a storm knocks down a tree
Good way of thinking about it. I already posted my thoughts, but if you just want to go after something reasonable look for a grapple at 25% of the lift capacity. Maybe push to 33%….

Mine weights 920#, the FEL lifts 4000. It is well balanced when I have loaded rears and ballast on the back. No ballast, it gets tipsy. The Grapple does stick pretty far out the front.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Bare FEL, no implement. Basically you are dangling a wire off of the end of the FEL at the pin to do the test.

Ouch that’s a pretty heavy grapple for the capacity. Ah well if it works for ya You are good. If you ever Need more capacity, sell that one and get something in the 250-300# range.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I got enticed in to buying a twin lid model and its more grapple than tractor. I am already considering doing exactly what you suggest. It would be a good fit for a small skidsteer or good size utility tractor and in my area I should be able to sell it pretty easily for a just a modest loss.

That said I have already put it to work and its paying for itself. I had several 80' + dead ash on the ground that mother nature had deposited across my lane and it made quick work of that cleanup. The hillside is covered with them and I expect more to hit the ground in the coming months. Woods are no place to be when the wind is up 🙄 Also no shortage of undergrowth and smaller deadfall which it eats quite handily so I am in no rush.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
? TOH....
curious, would it not be easier to 'skid' the 80' dead ashes out than 'cut and grapple' ? or dir Mother Nature nicley deposit the trees for easy access ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
? TOH....
curious, would it not be easier to 'skid' the 80' dead ashes out than 'cut and grapple' ? or dir Mother Nature nicley deposit the trees for easy access ?
Not any easier or faster and I still have to stack at the log splitting area which is next to the main shop. Also less damage to the lane and lawn to transport them in 10'-15' sections. I was skidding with the little B7200 and the ability to lift, transport and stack was a major factor in buying an L3901 over a "big" B-series. I got a lot of questions about the grapple and appreciative comments for the cleanup from neighbors when I was working the ones along the county road. I am usually the "first responder" when one comes down across it. County crews are appreciative.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As for the HP rating, where's a video showing the MTL grapple doing anything? Here's a video showing the EA 55" grapple that's only rated for 40hp and lower tractors but here's Ted abusing it on a 60+ hp tractor. Yep, make sure you compare apples to apples and do some digging and see what's actually made in America and not shipped in from China, either partially built or fully assembled.
Sorry not a YouTuber with video equipment so just stills. Also not a little pecan tree and a 35HP rather than 60HP tractor so it took longer and more "abuse" had to be delivered to tractor, loader, grapple, and of course the tree. As you would expect from a quality HD MITUSA grapple it isa little scratched up but otherwise unscathed despite LOTS of heavy pounding. prying, and root ripping. However we had a light rain shower this morning and things were a little greasy. I got trapped nose down in the hole left by the root ball when it finally gave way and couldn't back up. Grapple was raised so I had to "power through" to the down hill side pushing the root ball with the grille guard. Going to need a little panel pounding to straighten Lown's laser cut pride and joy but it did it's job and it also gets my recommendation.

Any further doubts? :rolleyes:

Dan

PS> Thanks for the motivation. That wind damaged tree has been a PITA and needed to go but given the degree of difficulty I would not have undertaken it without your encouragement. Timing is perfect for back filling and seeding that spot. One less thing to maneuver around when mowing next year.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I own a total of 3 grapples for different types and sizes of machines, 2 of them are much bigger and heavier than I would ever think to put on my L series. When I was looking for my L series I wanted something compact and not too heavy.

I was not planning to dig or wrestle tree stumps with this grapple , I just wanted to use my smaller tractor for getting into tight woodland areas to carry out timber and stumps.

I wanted a twin lid as I believe they are superior for clamping uneven loads, I finally settled on a MTL CV-60 grapple (compact vertical design). It works great and was inexpensive. Real weight is under 350 lbs.

Good luck in your search and making a final decision.

Grapple 1.jpg

Grapple 2.jpg

Grapple 3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
I own a total of 3 grapples for different types and sizes of machines, 2 of them are much bigger and heavier than I would ever think to put on my L series. When I was looking for my L series I wanted something compact and not too heavy.

I was not planning to dig or wrestle tree stumps with this grapple , I just wanted to use my smaller tractor for getting into tight woodland areas to carry out timber and stumps.

I wanted a twin lid as I believe they are superior for clamping uneven loads, I finally settled on a MTL CV-60 grapple (compact vertical design). It works great and was inexpensive. Real weight is under 350 lbs.

Good luck in your search and making a final decision.

View attachment 65638

View attachment 65639

View attachment 65640
Do all your tractors have the root grapple or do you have a root rake grapple as well?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Do all your tractors have the root grapple or do you have a root rake grapple as well?
my other grapple is larger to fit a skid steer, 72” wide about 36” deep and 660 lbs, twin lid. I also have a root rake debris type grapple that is more upright and not so deep that is 72” wide, I run them on my track loader and sometimes my MX 5800.

the 36” deep grapple on my MX makes for a long and cumbersome front end loader, it is ideal on the track loader as it is right there outside the door. It’s why I went compact on my L series.

There are lots of grapple designs, think what will work best for your use before buying.

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
my other grapple is larger to fit a skid steer, 72” wide about 36” deep and 660 lbs, twin lid. I also have a root rake debris type grapple that is more upright and not so deep that is 72” wide, I run them on my track loader and sometimes my MX 5800.

the 36” deep grapple on my MX makes for a long and cumbersome front end loader, it is ideal on the track loader as it is right there outside the door. It’s why I went compact on my L series.

There are lots of grapple designs, think what will work best for your use before buying.
That’s what I’m doing so much research for. I think if I can find a root rake with longer than normal bottom tines, that would be the best of both worlds for my needs

edit: I also might need to look into some check valves on the lid hoses

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
That’s what I’m doing so much research for. I think if I can find a root rake with longer than normal bottom tines, that would be the best of both worlds for my needs

edit: I also might need to look into some check valves on the lid hoses
In the photos above my compact grapple is about 21” deep, the longer bottom tine models are typically 34 to 36” deep. In my experience this is already the maximum depth you want on your L2501.

Loflin manufacturers grapples for many grapple sellers, that’s why their prices are low, they are the source of many different grapples.

As far as width 60” is the max you should go, there is nothing wrong with 55” on your tractor.

You wanted value, why not buy from Loflin, try it out, keep it if you like it, sell it if you don’t, there are few grapples at that price point.

Last edited:

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
In the photos above my compact grapple is about 21” deep, the longer bottom tine models are typically 34 to 36” deep. In my experience this is already the maximum depth you want on your L2501.
In the pictures it looks like you have it rolled all the way back, is that the most it can roll back?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
In the pictures it looks like you have it rolled all the way back, is that the most it can roll back?
Roll back in terms of angle of loader mount plate or rolled back as in open? I think the open gap is just over 30”, plenty for its use.

My best final advice would be bigger is not better, I consider my L3901 to be a smaller tractor and wanted a smaller compact grapple that was appropriate for its size and use.

let us know which model you finally decide on and eventually post some photos and a bit of a review. Good luck making a selection, it’s a bit like being a kid in a candy store.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
Roll back in terms of angle of loader mount plate or rolled back as in open? I think the open gap is just over 30”, plenty for its use.

My best final advice would be bigger is not better, I consider my L3901 to be a smaller tractor and wanted a smaller compact grapple that was appropriate for its size and use.

let us know which model you finally decide on and eventually post some photos and a bit of a review. Good luck making a selection, it’s a bit like being a kid in a candy store.
Rollback in terms of loader mount angle. I’ll definitely post pictures once I make my decision

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Yesterday was my first time giving my 60" MTL a full workout.

All I can say is " How did I go this long without having a grapple? ". I removed a bank of overgrown / misplaced trees. It was a mess. I went in with a chain saw, let the limbs / trees drop where they may and had grapple power to do all the heavy lifting I use to do by hand or by dragging larger limbs with my tractor.

Plus, I now have a nice, tight burn pile as I can sculpt it with precision placements. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this thing on my farm.

As far as size goes... A 48" would probably do just fine but the extra weight / cost of going up to a 60" was negligible so I see no reason not to go wider.

The one negative. My 20 month old Grandson used to love my Kubota. Now, with the big mean looking jaws up front, he's scared of it. This will pass.

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
Yesterday was my first time giving my 60" MTL a full workout.

All I can say is " How did I go this long without having a grapple? ". I removed a bank of overgrown / misplaced trees. It was a mess. I went in with a chain saw, let the limbs / trees drop where they may and had grapple power to do all the heavy lifting I use to do by hand or by dragging larger limbs with my tractor.

Plus, I now have a nice, tight burn pile as I can sculpt it with precision placements. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this thing on my farm.

As far as size goes... A 48" would probably do just fine but the extra weight / cost of going up to a 60" was negligible so I see no reason not to go wider.

The one negative. My 20 month old Grandson used to love my Kubota. Now, with the big mean looking jaws up front, he's scared of it. This will pass.
When he gets into the terrible twos, just remind your grandson what happens to kids who don’t behave and point at your kubota 😂

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I looked but I don’t like the design. I’m not sure a box design like that would help picking up small brush, seems like it would all just fall out because there’s no pressure keeping everything together in the middle

Yeah, I don't like that design either. Here's the EA Wicked 60 with the rams almost fully extended. There isn't much that will escape the death grip! The jaws open to 40" so it can grab a bunch of stuff. This design reduces the overall length of the tractor compared to having the bucket on the front.

ea_wicked_60_01.jpg

ea_wicked_60_02.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Not sure if anyone has mentioned MDS but it's worth looking at their products. They're based in South Dakota and have an interesting quad ram grapple.

One thing you might notice about manufacturers that actually make the products they sell, they all have links on their websites to "employment" or "careers" or "positions". 😂