Grapple

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
New to the sight also new to kubota pro & cons on a root rake grapple or sckeleton grapple will probaly anser this myself use for brush 90% of the time / also have a add on tooth bar for bucket / just some feed back thanks ( l3130 & la723 loader 72" bucket )

clarksvilleal

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, BSS65 Box Blade, 6' Landscape Rake, Wallenstein BXM32 shredder
May 28, 2011
Maryland
I have this one for my LX3310:
1646273543745.png
(https://homesteadimplements.com/root-grapple-pinnacle-series/)

Haven't used it a whole lot yet - just got it last fall. I too plan to use it for brush most of the time, but also expect it to help with grading, digging up big roots, pulling up small trees, etc. I used it last fall to quickly move a mountain of leaves into the garden that I had previously blown into a couple of big piles.

The Pinnacle grapple is well built, reasonably priced, and -- icing on the cake -- comes in Kubota orange at no extra cost (y). Mine is the 55 inch model, but they also have 60", 66" and 72" models as well. One thing I especially like is that it is self-supporting and takes minimal floor space when closed and removed from the tractor.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I have the LP. Awesome for moving brush.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
There are many great manufacturers and grapples. I have a LP, and it has done everything I needed it to do over the last year. Most of the grapples are very similar LP, EA, Homestead, Virnig, Dirt Dog and many, many more. Artillian is a bit different; its modular design could be a plus or a minus depending on your needs.

I would try to buy something made in America.

I would not get too concerned about trying to buy the toughest grapple. You have a compact tractor - not a skid/trac loader. If you are damaging a well made grapple, you are really damaging your FEL and hydraulic system.

It might come down to availability/price to choose among well made US grapples, or it might be which one looks cool to you.

If you have not seen it, you might want to watch this Messick's video about potential grapple misuse.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It would be interesting to hear from someone with experience both with the vertical style grapples and long bottom grapples. The vertical style looks like it would be more suited to using as a root rake style dozer blade. With the long bottom style you have to curl down pretty far to put the correct angle on it for raking roots.

Mine is a long bottom style similar to a rock bucket with lids. I’ve torn down a railroad tie retaining wall, raked roots clearing trails, raked trash cleaning up a small old (like 60 - 100 years ago) trash pile, pushed over trees, pried up and moved rocks too big for people power. But mostly I’ve used it for moving brush and logs (which was the primary reason I bought it).

I’m quite sure either style will pick stuff up, rake roots, and generally perform the same functions. My impression is the vertical style is likely a better root rake but for what I do with it, I’d go with the long bottom style again if I had to replace mine.

This is the kind of stuff I do with mine. The seemingly random object in its grasp is a circa 1940’s oven that was ripped from the tree roots holding it in the old trash pile. Regardless the style, grapples are good things.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I have the LP SGC0660 root grapple

I also have pallet forks and may buy an add-a-grapple to haul more brush and other debris

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
It would be interesting to hear from someone with experience both with the vertical style grapples and long bottom grapples. The vertical style looks like it would be more suited to using as a root rake style dozer blade. With the long bottom style you have to curl down pretty far to put the correct angle on it for raking roots.

Mine is a long bottom style similar to a rock bucket with lids. I’ve torn down a railroad tie retaining wall, raked roots clearing trails, raked trash cleaning up a small old (like 60 - 100 years ago) trash pile, pushed over trees, pried up and moved rocks too big for people power. But mostly I’ve used it for moving brush and logs (which was the primary reason I bought it).

I’m quite sure either style will pick stuff up, rake roots, and generally perform the same functions. My impression is the vertical style is likely a better root rake but for what I do with it, I’d go with the long bottom style again if I had to replace mine.

This is the kind of stuff I do with mine. The seemingly random object in its grasp is a circa 1940’s oven that was ripped from the tree roots holding it in the old trash pile. Regardless the style, grapples are good things.
Thanks i think the long tang will be best for me also

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have used multiple types but only own the vertical style and it’s LP. It’s great for thin/small material you need to crush together to pick up and relocate. I use it mainly with my B. When I have tried with large logs, if the are not real straight or depending on the taper of the log one end tends to like to slip out when picking up, so for really large logs it’s not ideal and it also doesn’t compress a log to hold tight like it does with brush or saplings. Bucket with manure / hay tines actually work really well to pick up and cut large logs but you have to be careful of the buckets and tines with the saw…but you don’t have to worry about not being able to cut where the grapple is positioned….that’s the benefit. I have a buddy has had the long bottom grapple from EA with split top and it is absolutely awesome for large logs and the log profile matters not…if it fits in the jaw it clamps and holds….however there is not cutting in the space where the grapple is. Personally with large stuff, I am currently using pallet forks on my MX…they work really well but also no good if you want to cut between the tines…so with that I use a fixture that I load my logs into and cut there, and in that case I think the forks are a little easier to unload and direct where you want the log to end up…at least for me and my process. When I have used the vertical type with my Mx it is my personal grapple for the one I have for my B…so it’s small…that being said it is hard to see exactly where it is to pick up small stuff as front tires are in line of sight…so a small vertical grapple for me on larger compact tractor is really not helpful…it’s better served on a smaller tractor that is easier to manuever, with good visibility, and small material. I hope this helps.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
The Titan Debis forks were 1/10 the cost compared to getting a 3rd valve and grapple for picking up whole trees for firewood. Did break the bucket ears and re-welded and minor bending with their 5000lb model, I am happy with how they work and the savings.

Attachments

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Take a look at the GP Outdoors YouTube channel. He has a couple great videos on grapples. He opted for a single cylinder model and head worked the crap out of it with his LX2610. Moves logs, large rocks and all kinds of brush. Great information.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1st problem.... FINDING one IN STOCK !!!

Seems 'everyone' makes them BUT could be scarcer then hen's teeth to actually get one.....

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
True. One you can actually get is probably better than one you can order but can’t get.

Mine is a Tar River, strongly suspect Chinese import, low carbon steel, that had lid teeth that bent in normal use because the associated gussets stopped 4” short of the end of the teeth. Had to modify it to stop the lid teeth from bending. (They’re swell now.)

Making it sound like an overweight piece of junk, but it’s still my most used and by far favorite implement. It may not be the best ever in various aspects. Yet I can haul a years worth of firewood from the creek bottom to the wood yard in one dry day without working up a sweat, pick up about 3/4 of a pickup load of brush at one time without getting off the tractor, and clear deadfall off the trails in big chunks instead of sawing into man sized pieces. The time and labor it saves is tremendous.

First time we used it was on a ~80’ sweet gum tree (trash) across the 50’ wide sewer line first week we had the L. That was before Dad got sick so he took his 9N with the saws, chains, cant hook, etc. He planned to spend half a day cutting it into 2’ pieces to manually toss in a pile in the woods (pre-Kubota method). I convinced him to see what the Kubota would and wouldn’t do with the grapple as neither of us really knew so we cut it into four or five pieces, bulldozed the top into a briar patch, and piled the pieces of the trunk on top of it. Took about 30 minutes and I lifted nothing other than the saw. That’s exactly when it became my favorite implement and it still is. If you do tree/woods work there’s just nothing like a giant hydraulic hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Take a look at an MTL CV 60, Total cost delivered $1,300, they currently have them in stock. It is a twin lid compact vertical grapple, I have one for my L series, it has to be the best value for the cost in the market place. It performs very well and is a great match for my L series, actual weight is more like 340lbs versus the 400 lbs stated on their web page.

Twin lid adjusts better to uneven loads, I like this design as cylinders are behind the frame rather than on top.

Good luck in your search.

Grapple 2.jpg

Grapple 3.jpg

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
totally agree with everything @NCL4701 mentioned.

I think lower tine configuration is personal preference. I prefer the extended lower horizontal tines because you can easily hand load it if needed, and it's still effective at rooting, and grabbing piles.

I was moving construction debris that were right up against the house to a dumpster, I just hand loaded it for her, and she would drive off and unload. I sometimes hand load it for tree removal too, just depends on the situation. Having the option to do either is helpful.

still effective at scooping too

Last edited: