Grapple questions

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I have been considering the wicked 55 for a while. It has gone up $300 while I’ve been pondering the purchase. The EA facility is about an hour away.
My question for y’all is are there cheaper alternatives that are comparable in weight. The weight savings of the wicked 55 is important because my main tractor use is moving logs around for firewood processing. Many of the logs I haul home are big 24-32” diameter or bigger.
For the w55 owners is the cost worth it? Any quality or durability issues?
The EA site says tested on an L6060, but it’s recommended for under 30hp?
Is there any reason I can’t use it regularly on my MX5100?
I’m currently using a fork grapple, but it has some limitations. #1 being I have to stand up to see where the forks are #2 some picks the load is too far out front #3 picking big rounds, or short logs is difficult and time consuming. Thanks for any input you can provide.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I can’t speak to the EA, but I like my Frost Bite for moving logs. If you haven’t seen them, may be worth checking out. I think a couple other brands make this style too, if my memory serves Fransgard (sp?) and a Chinese import called SunJo or Sunguard or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I can’t speak to the EA, but I like my Frost Bite for moving logs. If you haven’t seen them, may be worth checking out. I think a couple other brands make this style too, if my memory serves Fransgard (sp?) and a Chinese import called SunJo or Sunguard or something like that.

Yes I have strongly considered the Frostbite and sold my Ford2000 to fund the purchase, but something else happened and sucked up the money. I had the quote for a commercial delivery site and everything set. I thought that was the one for me so I could cut the logs while elevated. I can do that with the fork grapple, but learned that’s not really what I need to do or how I do things. With some more experience under my belt I think the the root grapple style would be more versatile and better suit my all around needs and style of processing wood and moving brush.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I am a big fan of Homestead Implements, the Pinnacle series is the beefier option.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Last year (spring) I went thru analysis paralysis on a long bottom grapple for my MX based on need to use timing to complete work in CY2024 for an NRCS grant. I ended up with EA Long bottom 72”…received last fall. Have not used it with my MX yet, but it’s a pretty awesome / impressive grapple IMO. Anyway I look forward to using this spring per the plan.

My second choice was MTL based on suggestion from an OTT member but ultimately I felt like the EA edged it out, but the wait was less than ideal. mTL from what I looked at and discussed with them seemed like it would be pretty competitive. I’d be willing to try. I also considered Virnig based on some member input but their price not align with some other choices…looked like a very nice product from them as well. I think if wanted to use with tractor and a SS, virnig and MTL might be better option but I really don’t know that to be true….they seemed a little heavier constructed.

My decision came down to:
1. I felt like the design and countersunk grease zerks were more protected location on the EA.
2. Positive previous experiences (multiple implements happy with) with EA and very responsive over phone support from previous purchases.
3. Over all implement weight
4. Delivery to my address price.

I’d recommend when comparing to check final delivered to your door price…they are not all the same despite their adds…if it only gets you to a local depot it’s not a fair comparison to your door…at least not for me…EA delivered to my driveway as they claim.

Good luck. 🥃

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For the w55 owners is the cost worth it? Any quality or durability issues?
The EA site says tested on an L6060, but it’s recommended for under 30hp?
Is there any reason I can’t use it regularly on my MX5100?
I've had an EA Wicked 60 for a few years now and my only regret is that I didn't buy a Wicked 66. They are very well made, very tough and very durable grapples and probably overkill for many grapple related tasks.

You can definitely use a Wicked 55 on your MX. The hp value is based on the weight of the grapple so EA is suggesting that the 55 is better for tractors with lower loader capacities since they're a fair bit lighter than the 60 which weights around 400lb and the 66 at around 600lb.

I've said this many times, but no company comes close to the kind of transparency and testing that EA does. I have a grapple, box blade, land leveler and tooth bar from EA with no regrets. I even bought suitcase weights from them but they're imported from India.

Reactions: 3 users

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
Last year (spring) I went thru analysis paralysis on a long bottom grapple for my MX based on need to use timing to complete work in CY2024 for an NRCS grant. I ended up with EA Long bottom 72”…received last fall. Have not used it with my MX yet, but it’s a pretty awesome / impressive grapple IMO. Anyway I look forward to using this spring per the plan.

My second choice was MTL based on suggestion from an OTT member but ultimately I felt like the EA edged it out, but the wait was less than ideal. mTL from what I looked at and discussed with them seemed like it would be pretty competitive. I’d be willing to try. I also considered Virnig based on some member input but their price not align with some other choices…looked like a very nice product from them as well. I think if wanted to use with tractor and a SS, virnig and MTL might be better option but I really don’t know that to be true….they seemed a little heavier constructed.

My decision came down to:
1. I felt like the design and countersunk grease zerks were more protected location on the EA.
2. Positive previous experiences (multiple implements happy with) with EA and very responsive over phone support from previous purchases.
3. Over all implement weight
4. Delivery to my address price.

I’d recommend when comparing to check final delivered to your door price…they are not all the same despite their adds…if it only gets you to a local depot it’s not a fair comparison to your door…at least not for me…EA delivered to my driveway as they claim.

Good luck. 🥃
I have demo’d the universal type grapple that most manufacturers build. Every state may be similar, but in my area of NC there are many attachment manufacturers. Most of their grapples are $5-800 cheaper than EA, but they are way heavier. The long bottom I tried felt and operated heavy. I don’t want to waste lift capacity on the attachment. At my work we have a mega grapple on a small CAT Skid. It totally kills the lift capacity of the CAT. It’s a lot of money so they will probably go up another 100 before I’m done with analysis paralysis.

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I've had an EA Wicked 60 for a few years now and my only regret is that I didn't buy a Wicked 66. They are very well made, very tough and very durable grapples and probably overkill for many grapple related tasks.

You can definitely use a Wicked 55 on your MX. The hp value is based on the weight of the grapple so EA is suggesting that the 55 is better for tractors with lower loader capacities since they're a fair bit lighter than the 60 which weights around 400lb and the 66 at around 600lb.

I've said this many times, but no company comes close to the kind of transparency and testing that EA does. I have a grapple, box blade, land leveler and tooth bar from EA with no regrets. I even bought suitcase weights from them but they're imported from India.
That’s what I learned about the grapple my employer purchased from CID. It’s big time overkill. I’m sure there are cabbages that could find a way to break it, but it won’t happen from normal use. If you drove wide open into a giant rock grapple first I bet the skid steer would break first. O v e r k i l l

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
outside the box option...
just use forks. I've carried a lot of small (BX23S sized) logs with the pallet forks. You curl back and log stays put. Have used carryall on the D-14 to haul 2500# walnut logs to the mill. I did strap them down as I was going on the road between two properties 1/2 mile away.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think if you look closely at EA especially from a side angle you can see where their weight (lighter) is competitive…they have tried tested and listened to customers and lightened where they can without sacrificing usability. Is it the heaviest, nope. But for me that added value. I did not want a 700-800 lb grapple consuming so much of the MX lift capacity. In my assessment EA edged out the heavier built. Is it the best? I don’t know I think depends on your criteria / expectations. Have I used it? Nope…looking forward to it. eA supports and stands behind their product and I don’t second guess my choice. I don’t know my thought is correct but that is how I made the price and weight comparison.

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
outside the box option...
just use forks. I've carried a lot of small (BX23S sized) logs with the pallet forks. You curl back and log stays put. Have used carryall on the D-14 to haul 2500# walnut logs to the mill. I did strap them down as I was going on the road between two properties 1/2 mile away.
Yes Sir, you can for sure do a lot with forks. Early in my career a fork lift is all we had for loading logs and boy could it pick up logs that would make a skid steer cry.
I also need something to grab and mash brush and pick individual rounds.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I went through this search myself last year when searching for a grapple for my lx2610. My dealer offered various makes but they were all in the $4500 or more range with some heavier than what I wanted. I ended up with a Kioti brand. Extremely well built with gusseted tines. Also has recessed grease fittings. Very surprised at the $2200 price.
I also require it for tree and brush removal which it does like a champ.
In addition it is orange.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
what sort of pallet fork grapple do you have? I've been looking for one to help with my firwood processing. Unlike you, my trees are at MOST 16" diameter and many smaller.

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
what sort of pallet fork grapple do you have? I've been looking for one to help with my firwood processing. Unlike you, my trees are at MOST 16" diameter and many smaller.
I’m pretty sure they came from a local attachment builder. I got them from a friend who said he paid $400 for them. Maybe from Wildcat attachment. The forks are not typical sturdy forks, so he reinforced them. I’ll try to get pictures of them this weekend. I know of someone has a similar setup and he complains the fork grapple grabs too many logs from the log pile along with having to stand up to see location of the forks. I still find them useful and want to keep them in the arsenal. They sure have made firewood production more efficient.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I have the EA 55 and couldn't be happier. I use it for firewood processing, brush removal, and downed tree clean up.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Showmedata, I have a single arm grapple on forks, from HLA. Im grabbing 8' logs from a pile most of the time. Most logs are smaller in diameter. I added a 3rd fork tine to keep uneven logs from falling through and to help the forks go under the same log in the pile. I really wanted a Frostbite... i wish i had some experience with the other styles to see how they'd work!
The single arm would not be as useful for brush but would work. I space the tines to still allow picking up a pallet, albiet off center.
Figuring the best way to do firewood is as much fun and work as actually doing it! The less handling the better. Keep the rounds off the ground and flowing through the process, conveyors are a whole other topic!

20231031_115101.jpg

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I teetered between Homestead and EA. Before buying, I borrowed a neighbors root grapple (long bottom) for a bit. That sold me in the fork like bottom. Its only another 85 lbs in weight. Then, there are the pivot point zerks on the EA. Every moving point is greaseable. I know dollars are hard to find these days, but the added cost isn't too bad IMO.
That's my nickle. Take it as you will.
20230204_140619.jpg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the EA 55. My only regret has been not buying it sooner. It has handled everything I have tossed at it and no failures.

20211106_111620.jpg

20210109_100536.jpg

20201221_113921.jpg
Resized_20200903_171724.jpg

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Showmedata, I have a single arm grapple on forks, from HLA. Im grabbing 8' logs from a pile most of the time. Most logs are smaller in diameter. I added a 3rd fork tine to keep uneven logs from falling through and to help the forks go under the same log in the pile. I really wanted a Frostbite... i wish i had some experience with the other styles to see how they'd work!
The single arm would not be as useful for brush but would work. I space the tines to still allow picking up a pallet, albiet off center.
Figuring the best way to do firewood is as much fun and work as actually doing it! The less handling the better. Keep the rounds off the ground and flowing through the process, conveyors are a whole other topic!

View attachment 121537
This is really what I want. I think I'll make a fab project this spring, since their price seems awfully high for that, and their US distribution is quite limited. Thanks.