Grapple Dos and Don'ts

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I'm in the queue for a new grapple, I've been watching videos on using them and there's one from land pride where the person makes a statement "Do not ever press both buttons at the same time." No explanation on what the consequences would be, I took it as it could be an expensive mistake and I'm sure that there's been new grapple operators that have done exactly that, so, what is the damage, if any, that it could cause?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Interesting. The manual explicitly tells you to do that to relieve pressure after shut down.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When you press both buttons simultaneously, you open both ports of the 3rd function valve. In effect, they will cancel themselves and I don't believe that any damage would occur. The grapple wouldn't react since it was getting pressure from both sides of the cylinder. In bigger machines, it could possibly blow out a seal, but my little BX23S doesn't have enough power to do that.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
If you energize both coils on the directional valve you could burn one of them out....if you kept them energized long enough.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Oh, I guess I get it now. Lol!
Yeah, both coils may pull too much current if it was an extended push. LP tells you to bump them to relieve pressure when you shut the machine down so the hydraulics can go to a resting position. So short double press won't hurt anything.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The biggest thing I can say about a grapple, get yourself a GOOD grill guard. I haven't been able to tear up my grapple, but I have beat the snot out of my grill guard. Without it, I would be replacing a radiator by now.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
When you press both buttons simultaneously, you open both ports of the 3rd function valve. In effect, they will cancel themselves and I don't believe that any damage would occur. The grapple wouldn't react since it was getting pressure from both sides of the cylinder. In bigger machines, it could possibly blow out a seal, but my little BX23S doesn't have enough power to do that.
Its one double acting spool with opposed solenoids. You cant open both ports simultaneously. Most likely one button will close a microsecond before the other and the valve will shift that direction. The other solenoid will energize and do nothing.

Dan

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm with Bmyers on the grill guard comment. I purchased a small grapple for my L3901 and quickly realized that I need front protection when using the grapple. Here is my L series with a Lown Performance grill guard and the lower guard which they call a chin strap. I don't have a lower guard on my MX and have done some light front damage as branches have stuck up behind the grill guard.

Depends what you are using your grapple for, I do a lot of woodland work on fallen trees and branches. As you can see the tractor was quite exposed without a grill guard. Strongly recommend a lower guard if you can get one for your LX.

Grill Guard 1.jpg

Grapple 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The biggest thing I can say about a grapple, get yourself a GOOD grill guard. I haven't been able to tear up my grapple, but I have beat the snot out of my grill guard. Without it, I would be replacing a radiator by now.
Get a grapple that is made with a backing plate....not an open back!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If you energize both coils on the directional valve you could burn one of them out....if you kept them energized long enough.
How? These valves are industrial control devices and are often used to pick and hold for extended periods of time - think motor rather than cylinder control. Pushing both buttons at once does nothing but energize both coils simultaneously. The individual coils don't know the difference.

Dan

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I've done more superficial and cosmetic damage using my grapple for 2 hours than I have done in all the other 92 hours of use. Again, that said, I will reiterate, the grapple is the most fun on your tractor that you can have with your pants on. YMMV.

lownperformance

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Apr 13, 2021
Gaston, SC
lownperformance.com
I'm with Bmyers on the grill guard comment. I purchased a small grapple for my L3901 and quickly realized that I need front protection when using the grapple. Here is my L series with a Lown Performance grill guard and the lower guard which they call a chin strap. I don't have a lower guard on my MX and have done some light front damage as branches have stuck up behind the grill guard.

Depends what you are using your grapple for, I do a lot of woodland work on fallen trees and branches. As you can see the tractor was quite exposed without a grill guard. Strongly recommend a lower guard if you can get one for your LX.

View attachment 92111

View attachment 92112
Thanks for the mention! Our shop is continually growing and we are always happy to hear about satisfied customers! Glad we could help protect your Kubota!
https://lownperformance.com/

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
How? These valves are industrial control devices and are often used to pick and hold for extended periods of time - think motor rather than cylinder control. Pushing both buttons at once does nothing but energize both coils simultaneously. The individual coils don't know the difference.

Dan
You are correct. I've had a relay on a DV coil whose contacts welded shut, allowing both coils to be energized simultaneously. It damaged one of the coils. If you energize a solenoid coil without an armature present you'll melt the coil down. That's why I insert a large screwdriver inside the hole of a coil when I remove it from the valve for troubleshooting. Your experiences may differ.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You are correct. I've had a relay on a DV coil whose contacts welded shut, allowing both coils to be energized simultaneously. It damaged one of the coils. If you energize a solenoid coil without an armature present you'll melt the coil down. That's why I insert a large screwdriver inside the hole of a coil when I remove it from the valve for troubleshooting. Your experiences may differ.
Good point. I had not considered the armature issue. Is the armature totally withdrawn from a coil when the valve is shifted or is that a msttet of design.

Dan

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan

View attachment 92111

View attachment 92112
I've already considered a grille guard, looked at LP as well as another company here in Michigan. On the LX, the grille must be moved forward to open the hood and with a grille guard on, one must reach over the loader arm then try to get your hand down the back side of the grille to the lever, seems like it could be a pain. LP and the other companies don't make any provisions for this (as far as I've seen on any images.)

Superjet511

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 FEL
Sep 15, 2020
Chelsea Mi
I've already considered a grille guard, looked at LP as well as another company here in Michigan. On the LX, the grille must be moved forward to open the hood and with a grille guard on, one must reach over the loader arm then try to get your hand down the back side of the grille to the lever, seems like it could be a pain. LP and the other companies don't make any provisions for this (as far as I've seen on any images.)
Howdy neighbor! Our guard is mounted differently than others. The release latch is accessible from the front, making folding the guard a breeze. Here is a link to our site. All of our product prices include shipping and we keep most everything in stock so there is no delay in protecting your investment.
5elevendesignz.com

Attachments