Grapple, Add-A-Grapple, or 4 way Bucket

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I have a similar problem and have not bought anything yet because of all the pro and con weigh-ins. Most posts, except for those from New Zealand, say a 4 in 1 is not good because it is too heavy and a jack of all trades, master of none. Yet they turn around and say buy a grapple that weighs within about 150lb of the 4 in 1. I don't really get it because if you're operating within 100-200lb of your loader capacity all the time, you may have other problems to deal with. They do say the 4 in 1 comes into its own and is quite useful on a skid steer/track loader, but not on a tractor (because of the power and machine stiffness differences between the two). However, based on the reviews, I decided to fold and I will not buy a 4 in 1. Since I am looking at relatively small acreage use (just a bit bigger than yours), I am leaning toward the Add A Grapple instead of a full blown EA grapple. If you are not running a logging company and only need to move relatively small stuff (e.g. no 500lb tree trunks), the advantage of the Add A Grapple that I see is when you get to the bottom of the pile and small stuff starts dropping through the tines of the full blown grapples (which is even more of a problem with fork mounted grapples). The Add A Grapple lets you use the solid bottom of the bucket to get that small stuff without getting off the tractor or changing implements. So, the solution that I am considering is putting a Piranha or EA tooth bar on the bucket plus the Add A Grapple. The tooth bar will stick out a little bit in front of the stock bucket cutting edge, so it will help grab things that are longer than the width of the bucket. The tooth bar is also supposed to improve the digging capability of your stock bucket, which I think I am going to need because I doubt a 72" straight edged bucket is going to do much of anything in the way of digging without teeth. If you end up buying a full blown grapple, it appears that EA is the one to get, but you will pay double the cost of the Add A Grapple Single and will pay more for the EA even if you get the double A A G - up to you whether the cost/benefit ratio meets your cutoff. ... Just a thought for consideration. Not totally certain what I will do yet.

BC2 for what it's worth I have had a bucket grapple on my 30 hp L3010 for over 20 years and could not be happier for all the reasons you said - light, functional, and always have both the bucket and grapple with me. Also have a tooth bar which made a big difference when I added it.

RockyRoad (11).JPG

I spend a lot of time in the woods loading logs and maintaining tractor roads. Have 20 yrs of pics - here are some.

P1150174.JPG

P1110809.JPG

CellarHoleRd9.JPG

CellarHoleRd8.JPG

LoadOfFirewood.JPG

Loading InWinter.JPG

I have to say that it is not as good as a dedicated grapple for holding big loads of brush because of the bucket sides stealing some of the volume but it has no trouble getting the job done. There is still plenty of bite.

MoveTops4.JPG

Hope this helps

gg

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The nice thing about this, you have options. So, you decided to try add-a-grapple and if it doesn't meet your needs, start saving pennies and by a grapple or the 4-n-1 bucket. Yes, we would all like to make the right choice the first time, but sometimes we don't fully understand our needs or the implements capabilities. In addition, over time needs change, so you may have to buy a different implement.

My dad is one that gets so caught up in trying to buy just the perfect implement that the time he spent looking, going back and forth on which to buy, and then finally deciding, the project is either done (proving we didn't need anything(which I think is part of his plan)) or could of been done multiple times over.

For me, I wish I hadn't waited to get the grapple. Yet, I didn't understand the usefulness of the grapple nor fully understand all my needs.

Last edited:

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
BC2 for what it's worth I have had a bucket grapple on my 30 hp L3010 for over 20 years and could not be happier for all the reasons you said - light, functional, and always have both the bucket and grapple with me. Also have a tooth bar which made a big difference when I added it.

View attachment 101212

I spend a lot of time in the woods loading logs and maintaining tractor roads. Have 20 yrs of pics - here are some.

View attachment 101213

View attachment 101214

View attachment 101218

View attachment 101221

View attachment 101223

View attachment 101229

I have to say that it is not as good as a dedicated grapple for holding big loads of brush because of the bucket sides stealing some of the volume but it has no trouble getting the job done. There is still plenty of bite.

View attachment 101231

Hope this helps

gg
Awesome, thanks. You make it look like you could actually almost run a logging company with that setup!

I noticed on the vertical edges of your bucket (i.e. NOT the horizontal tooth bar) it looks like you might have welded some little points or something on there presumably to help grip stuff that is longer than the bucket is wide. Are those little "teeth" something you bought off the shelf, or did you make them and then weld them on?

For digging purposes, do you think the tooth bar design you are using is better than the Piranha or EA type that have the continuous bar with V shapes cut out in it instead of having individual cutting tooth holders like yours?

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
The nice thing about this, you have options. So, you decided to try add-a-grapple and if it doesn't meet your needs, start saving pennies and by a grapple or the 4-n-1 bucket. Yes, we would all like to make the right voice the first time, but sometimes we don't fully understand our needs or the implements capabilities. In addition, over time needs change, so you may have to buy a different implement.

My dad is one that gets so caught up in trying to buy just the perfect implement that the time he spent looking, going back and forth on which to buy, and then finally deciding, the project is either done (proving we didn't need anything(which I think is part of his plan)) or could of been done multiple times over.

For me, I wish I hadn't waited to get the grapple. Yet, I didn't understand the usefulness of the grapple nor fully understand all my needs.
I'm afraid I resemble your Dad ... ouch! I've used up literally weeks researching the "perfect" solution. Meanwhile, the number and size of piles of stuff around the property just keep getting bigger! Time to pull the trigger and get after it or put the back to use with the wheelbarrow & the forks.

Reactions: 1 user

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Awesome, thanks. You make it look like you could actually almost run a logging company with that setup!

I noticed on the vertical edges of your bucket (i.e. NOT the horizontal tooth bar) it looks like you might have welded some little points or something on there presumably to help grip stuff that is longer than the bucket is wide. Are those little "teeth" something you bought off the shelf, or did you make them and then weld them on?

For digging purposes, do you think the tooth bar design you are using is better than the Piranha or EA type that have the continuous bar with V shapes cut out in it instead of having individual cutting tooth holders like yours?
Before I got the tooth bar when I loaded big logs like below there was nothing for the log to rest on and holding the log depended on pinching it between the bucket edges and the grapple tines. Two smooth surfaces.

LoadingPine9.JPG

So what I did first was cut off some short pieces of 1/2 rebar and weld them on the bucket edge and also the grapple tines like teeth to give me some grip. That worked very well. Then when I got the tooth bar to be able to dig in hard pack earth/gravel it was even better and the little teeth were not that important any more because the tooth bar either supported the log or bit into it depending on how I grabbed it.

I have never used a Piranha so can only speculate but I would say that if you are really talking about digging where you need deep penetration in tough ground to break things loose the tooth bar I have is way superior. What you need is to hear from somebody that has both types of tooth bar.

ToothBar4.JPG

gg

Reactions: 1 user

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I should of also said that I think the tooth bar with the longer teeth compliments my grapple more than a Piranha would because the long teeth do a lot of work they are more like the the bottom of a root grapple.

Someone will say you can't back drag with that tooth bar, Well I do and if I don't want teeth marks to show I just use the heel of the bucket rather than the cutting edge.

gg

Last edited:

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
I should of also said that I think the tooth bar with the longer teeth compliments my grapple more than a Piranha would because the long teeth do a lot of work they are more the the bottom of a root grapple.

Someone will say you can't back drag with that tooth bar, Well I do and if I don't want teeth marks to show I just use the heel of the bucket rather than the cutting edge.

gg
Thanks!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I thought the 4 in 1 bucket would be the most useful attachment available. I was wrong. 4 in 1 is very heavy and does not pick up stuff as well as a grapple. I have also used forks for moving logs and clearing brush but again I do not believe they work as well as a grapple. I have 70 acres of timber and maintain 2 miles of trails, the grapple is my go to implement.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I too asked the same question, and pondered over the perfect tool for the job. With that being said, and having a 2601 we already have a limited lift and a 4 way bucket while would be nice, I guess, really limits the FEL lifting cap. I opted for the grapple, and like said there are different configurations of grapples. They all do the same thing but in a little different way, some longer lower forks some stubby ones. I find that sometimes I would like the longer lower forks for digging roots out, but over all the LP I got will do anything I need, just a little fooling around to do it. And it is a bit lighter than the bucket and a lot lighter than the 4 way. One thing I will add, is rear weight, ballast, get the tires filled, and doing any lifting be careful, you can stand that "B" tractor up on 3 wheels in a heart beat! So rear ballast is nessary, fill the rear tires, and if you are doing a lot of FEL work maybe a ballast box as well. What ever you do, just remember think about what you are going to do what can/will go wrong, then think it through again, and the main thing is to enjoy the little orange beasty ;)