Grand L 60 - Double Step

rjpackwin

Equipment
Grand L3560 HST
Jan 5, 2022
Iron Mountain, MI
Did you wire in the running lights? If so how?
I did and it was quite easy. There is a 12v accessory light harness behind the the left side (when sitting in seat looking out front - left side) cab column. This wire is powered on / off with key switch. You can easily route the wires under the fender well padding (already other wires running along metal frame). Works great and nice addition when you’re out blowing snow in the dark the ground area below step. Is illuminated.

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I put one on my MX5400 but I got it without the LED lights because I knew I'd never hook them up. The step is awesome.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Gordon Rob here—-I did email them, twice, and asked why their cab model 5400 steps wouldn’t fit my ROPS model 5400, since the steps attach to the bottom frame. They didn’t give me an answer—-only reiterated that their steps fit the cab model—-period. I got the impression that they only build steps for very specific models that they actually have their hands on, so they know for sure that they will fit, and won’t commit to their steps fitting anything even slightly different. Anyway, their steps seem to be greatly over-priced so I’m looking elsewhere—-without any success so far.
We did give you an answer it just wasnt the answer you wanted.

When we develop our products we always have the same model tractor on hand to insure proper fitment. Doing it this way gives everyone involved peace of mind.
We never ever had a ROPS 5400 in our province because of our harsh climate. I asked Kathy about this particular situation and she remembers it quite well. She said you even suggested modifying the step if it didn’t fit.
I’m betting if she did sell you the step and it didn’t fit you’d start to modify it then get on here complaining that we sold you a step that didn’t fit and be on the phone asking us for a refund. We avoided all of those issues and headaches by not selling you the step.

We are under no obligation to build anything for Kubota. Yes Kubota reps do come to our facility along with dealer reps but we are totally independent from them and they never suggest anything to us in the way of accessories. All I know is that they are very pleased with what we have done and the products we offered to their customers and that makes us happy.

We DO NOT build custom parts or modified kits for Kubota owners and we get asked this on a daily basis. We are not here to cater to all Kubota customers who ask us to fix Kubotas problems. Kubota has a full engineering team for that.
As for cost. Buy what your comfortable in spending. We have plenty of customers who love our products and most of them are repeat customers,
Good luck finding your step.

Reactions: 1 users

Wildfire

Equipment
Gordon Rob here again. Specialty Repairs advertises steps for the MX-5400 CAB MODEL only. Since the steps attach to the bottom of the tractor frame I can’t understand why the MX-5400 steps they manufacture wouldn’t also fit on my ROP’s model. I asked them this question but didn’t get an answer other than that they only offer steps for the cab model. I can’t find steps advertised anywhere that will fit my 5400, and at almost age 88 and with a replaced knee I really need an additional lower step. Does anyone have any advice?
We do make a single step for your MX 5400. We only make a double step for the cab model. The two steps mount completely different and they ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
It is our opinion that the floor on the ROPS model would not support a double step. The cab model had a much more rigid floor than the non cab MX5400.

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
I have NOT purchased Paul Short's double step, but I did purchase his single step for my L48 TLB.
I completely understand where you are about the price.
As I recall, my single step was $258 or thereabouts.

I tried to put the rather high purchase price into perspective.
I was 79 years old (now 81).
I felt that the possibility of my foot shipping off the OEM step was real.
The question then became: How much is it worth at 80 years old, to help avoid a broken arm/leg/hip?
The answer was EASY!

In my opinion, Paul and Kathy Short make quality upgrades, that can certainly be worth the money!
I love my step from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods!
I thank Paul and Kathy for their work!
Thank you sir for your business. Kathy and I greatly appreciate it.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Has anyone purchased a “Double LED Step” (either Left or Right side) from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods in Newfoundland Canada? I have issues with my right knee and getting up and down out of my L3560 seems to aggravate my knee. I occasionally watch some of Paul Short‘s YouTube videos (Kubota Specialty Repairs Custom Mods) and found this “step” accessory he offers on his website. Paul and his wife do some nice work and create some interesting add-on’s for us Kubota lovers. I’m in support of the fact his design time, investment in trials, raw materials & labor to create product carry a value! Just not certain the double step Paul offers for $410 USD plus freight is worth that much? However, I don’t have the tools or skills to duplicate it and my knee is telling me it’s worth $410 plus freight. I do realize it is more than just a step … the steps are under lit with LED lights and there is an LED that also casts light onto the ground surface for a much safer exit.
So has anyone one purchased and installed one of Specialty Repairs Custom Mods Double LED Steps? If yes, can you comment Pro’s & Con’s or any feedback. I would like to order one, but would like to learn from anyone who purchased a Double Step if they’re happy with it and if it’s worth the investment.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Can not argue the functionality & aesthetics of this product. Now a look @ the el cheapo alternative, no lighting, also minimal cost. This is the MX stock open station step, moved outward. Scrap piece of flat plate to increase width, piece of left over rubber mat (EPDM roof accessory) Rubber glued to steel. Warning, weight rating limited to 300 lbs.

Attachments

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
How far out do the steps sit from the cab? Do they extend out past the tire sides?
Considering getting the double step and transferring the stock step to the left side.

Wildfire

Equipment
How far out do the steps sit from the cab? Do they extend out past the tire sides?
Considering getting the double step and transferring the stock step to the left side.
Our steps always are inside the wheel sides. They are designed that way to reduce the risk of damaging the step while operating the tractor.

Wags62

Equipment
L6060, 72" LP grapple, 72" K Kutter Tiller, Shaver SC50 stump grinder,
Sep 27, 2022
Ohio
The new left side “double step” arrived today from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods (Canada). In just a few minutes the old step (1st pic) was removed and the new double step (2nd pic) was installed.
I thought, why throw the original step in the spare parts heap when I can possibly retrofit it to the right side of tractor. This step / door is seldom used due to interference created by loader joystick. With about 15 minutes of effort, four drilled holes, and four new bolts the right side (3rd pic) is also a double step!
Big thank you to Paul & Kathy Short at Specialty Repairs Custom Mods!
I recently have purchased a set of these also. I bought a grand L 6060 in september. I attempted to put these on last night. But I noticed the back side of the kick plate on the right side actually sets up against the fuel tank. Is yours the same way?

Wags62

Equipment
L6060, 72" LP grapple, 72" K Kutter Tiller, Shaver SC50 stump grinder,
Sep 27, 2022
Ohio
I recently have purchased a set of these also. I bought a grand L 6060 in september. I attempted to put these on last night. But I noticed the back side of the kick plate on the right side actually sets up against the fuel tank. Is yours the same way?
Note: I was referring to steps on the left side of the tractor cab as you sit in the tractor but the right edge of the kick plate, on the back side of the kick plate, is what is touching against the fuel tank. I only bought the left side steps and that's what I attached. I did talk to them by phone today and they were very helpful, I think it'll be no problem after I adjust it some. This is my 4th mod from them, they really are great!