Grading advice.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
RCW - I guess there are hillbillies everywhere, even NY! I live on a similarly sloped lot and face the same challenges.

Have you considered a retaining wall at the base of your slope? Even a very low one would help you make the slope more gentle above it.

I installed a retaining wall and patio and have always thought it was one of the best investments I ever made. My house is just out of frame to the left. With the wall I built, I got the added benefit of seating.

20151111_111344.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HILLBILLYS?????? I will have you know I resemble that remark :D
We prefer mountain william thank you very much

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
RCW - I guess there are hillbillies everywhere, even NY! I live on a similarly sloped lot and face the same challenges.

Have you considered a retaining wall at the base of your slope? Even a very low one would help you make the slope more gentle above it.

I installed a retaining wall and patio and have always thought it was one of the best investments I ever made. My house is just out of frame to the left. With the wall I built, I got the added benefit of seating.

View attachment 26872

Nice work there, and i do notice the two comfortable chairs and then the stone bench for keeping the rest of the guest visit short term [emoji15]

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Nice work there, and i do notice the two comfortable chairs and then the stone bench for keeping the rest of the guest visit short term [emoji15]
Hmm, didn't think about that. Maybe a subconscious Freudian thing... Seating for the in-laws! :)

To the OP: even a low wall built from the pre-fab retaining wall stones might make a big difference. Hey, it's easy to tell other people what to do and spend their money! Good luck.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Probably too late with this recommendation, but you can tilt your BB and make passes parallel with your house. As you work out, the ground will be level. You would be "reverse sloping" with the BB.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Probably too late with this recommendation, but you can tilt your BB and make passes parallel with your house. As you work out, the ground will be level. You would be "reverse sloping" with the BB.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Definitely not too late - there was ~18" of snow there the other day.:p

Less now - we're getting a thaw. I'll have the snowblower on for another month or so.

I will be working with the BB - challenge at first will be the steep slope - it is flip things over steep! I drove over it to mow before things got messed up- so I'm used to the spot, and what I can and can't (or shouldn't) do wit the tractor.

Jkmetcalf - I have considered retaining wall, but would much prefer regrading that spot such that I don't need one, if possible!

Thanks guys!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Took a first shot at it today. Still pretty wet.
Like Bulldog said, had to head down hill. Still damn near got stuck.
Happy with it so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Like I said wet, but give it a couple more passes tomorrow. Then it looks like a few more days of rain.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
UPDATE:
Getting there.
Will need to get seeded shortly; need to mow in the next week or so.

GreenMtns

Equipment
B2601, 4' Frontier Rotory Mower, 5' King Kutter Finish Mower, 4' King Kutter Rot
Apr 13, 2017
Western Vermont
UPDATE:
Getting there.
Will need to get seeded shortly; need to mow in the next week or so.

Looking real good. I like box-blades for grading from rough to finish. At the very end I roll the box-blade back so the inside blade is just an inch above the back blade and run over the plot. The front blade cuts the high points and fills the low ones. and the back blade smooths it all out. Then lower the inside blade to about 1/2" and do a final pass. It always ends up being very smooth.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Done. Need to start thinking about mowing the vacant place across the road.

It's still steep, but not as before. More gradual.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice and encouragement along the way.
Now let's hope it turns green. Had a frost this morning, and rain coming.
Keep your fingers crossed....

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, it did turn green. Cold, wet spring. Several days with downpours and 45 degrees early on. Came in spotty, but I can live with that. Hell, better than I had!

Mowed the bank a couple times. A part settled some where there's some big stones buried. Two more buckets of full would have been perfect. Went well otherwise.

Spoke to my contractor week ago. Should have an excavator and skid steer back shortly to tear porch off and build new, and finish siding the house. Then other parts of the lawn will be torn up![emoji31]

At least these areas will be flat![emoji57]

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
RCW. Looking good :D re-seed in early September, or next spring and you will get it to fill in :D

I have some spots in my yard I gotta go back over and re-seed this fall. For the most part, it's looking like a yard instead of a weed bed :D I've been battling really acidic soil do to all the mature oak trees on the property. So, one of these days, I'm gonna have to spring for a ton or two of limestone :rolleyes:

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
Try reversing up the hill with bb and then pulling the dirt straight down to build at the bottom and knock down at the top that way you are always facing down hill and gravity will work with you? Once you have knock the grade down a bit you can do side to side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
Sorry, you did a great job. Just noticed the end of the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk