Grab hook advise

snapdealer

Equipment
L3200HST
Aug 19, 2013
Lawrenceburg,tn
I have a new L3200 and want to weld some grab hooks to my bucket. From all I've read they should be placed inside the loader arms. My problem arises in that I have the SSQA bucket and I don't want to interfere with the QA this leaves me with 4 options as I see it

1. 1 hook in the center on the backside of the bucket
  2. 2 hooks on the outside of the QA on the top of the bucket
  3. 2 hooks on the inside back of the bucket
  4. 2 hooks along the top inside the QA but then they would be almost right next to each other
My daddy always taught me to measure twice and cut once (or weld once in this case) Before I break out the pieces & welder and just go at it I would appriciate some advise and maybe a quick explenation as to where is the best placement and why I'm pretty sure all would "work" but as this is my first loader I would like to know what you guys think. Thank you...Jef

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
This works well for me, I only use the outside hooks to lift really light loads or string a chain between them and hook to the chain in the middle, I actually prefer this method for most lifts whether using the outside hooks or two inside ones.

I took the idea from others, so I can't claim any credit for it.

Attachments

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I have a new L3200 and want to weld some grab hooks to my bucket. From all I've read they should be placed inside the loader arms. My problem arises in that I have the SSQA bucket and I don't want to interfere with the QA this leaves me with 4 options as I see it

1. 1 hook in the center on the backside of the bucket
  2. 2 hooks on the outside of the QA on the top of the bucket
  3. 2 hooks on the inside back of the bucket
  4. 2 hooks along the top inside the QA but then they would be almost right next to each other
My daddy always taught me to measure twice and cut once (or weld once in this case) Before I break out the pieces & welder and just go at it I would appriciate some advise and maybe a quick explenation as to where is the best placement and why I'm pretty sure all would "work" but as this is my first loader I would like to know what you guys think. Thank you...Jef
Wherever you place them, make sure they do not stick out into the bucket area and are set back. Personally I would want two near the outside edges and a center hook. I put a center hook on that stuck out past the top bucket lip. Went to unload a large crate (pto generator) and the hook pierced the shipping box...hence set back from edge recommendation.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Or better yet. Buy a tractor, read this forum, call the dealer and have him add the hooks before delivery. Worked for me.

snapdealer

Equipment
L3200HST
Aug 19, 2013
Lawrenceburg,tn
Thank you all for your helpful advise after seeing what has worked I think I have a pretty good plan at this point. TripleR I really appriciated the photo of your loader you went above a beyond the call. You guys on this forum are a great bunch I'm sure I'll be back as I customize my new tractor more too fit my needs .. Jef

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You might want to look at Kens bolt on hooks (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=oTumaSrvxYzbfds3beHUYA&bvm=bv.51156542,d.dmg). I have read lots of great reviews for his products, and then you don't have to worry about messing up the paint on your new bucket, or getting it repainted after grinding and welding.
He also handles weld on hooks of good quality.

Or better yet. Buy a tractor, read this forum, call the dealer and have him add the hooks before delivery. Worked for me.
Just be sure they use the right hooks, on our M8540 my dealer just used log chain ends rather than weld on hooks, so for or L5740 I took the hooks up and showed them where to weld them.

Thank you all for your helpful advise after seeing what has worked I think I have a pretty good plan at this point. TripleR I really appriciated the photo of your loader you went above a beyond the call. You guys on this forum are a great bunch I'm sure I'll be back as I customize my new tractor more too fit my needs .. Jef
You are quite welcome, there are some really good people here who have helped me.

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
Snapdealer - not sure you caught my post in the attachment section, but this is what I ended up with and these are both Ken's Bolt on Clevis and Ken's Weld on Hooks.