GR2100 PTO problem

Al thomas

Equipment
B7100
Aug 6, 2019
New Florence,Pa
Seems like a good place to ask a question about a GR2100 problem ! A fellow I do some work for has a GR2100 that is used to mow about an acre of grass. I have noticed lately when engaging the pto a grinding noise ! Once engaged it seems as though the deck is slowing down and speeding up to the point of not wanting to discharge grass out the chute, wondering if anyone has experienced this not sure how this pto works but obviously it must engage something in the transaxle that drives the mower shaft and possibly something is failing/failed to cause the grinding !

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah they are notorious for that, and other transmission problems. Now that it's been slipping, the pto clutch is junk. They (kubota) has a kit to repair it. Be sure to get the special tool that is required to install it too. There was a bulletin that discussed the kit and tool.

I highly suggest removal of the transmission, and disassembly in order to get all the clutch material out of it. With that, a good bit of knowledge and a few "tricks" up your sleeve will sure help. If someone decided to go into one of thoe transmissions and has never been into one, they're in for a big surprise--and usually AFTER reassembly/reinstallation to the mower. I hate those mowers and I think it's the one mower I would not own. I'd just as soon buy an old Yard Man than a GR series Kubota.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
... I hate those mowers and I think it's the one mower I would not own. I'd just as soon buy an old Yard Man than a GR series Kubota.
I completeley agree.

/rant on. It was fantastic for the first 500 hours then an endless disaster. I expect a $10k mower to last more than 500 hours. It has soured me on Kubota. Not becasue they designed and sold a piece of crap. But because of how they did not stand behind their product or customers on this one. I own 6 Kubotas. The GR is the last one I purchased new. I just don't trust their engineering and support model any more. Sorry, /rant off.

What is the special tool? I think there is some kind of spring compression tool if you plan to rebuild the PTO clutch which is not a bad idea considering the cost. You can purchase one that it fully assembled and comes with an alignment template to install (part number K1253-94022) but it is over $600. When I replaced mine, it was about $350. That was not that long ago. I was able to do it without removing the transmission but did have to get it stripped to its bones. I am beginning to call this my zipper mower because of how many times and how quickly I can undress it.

Reactions: 1 users

Al thomas

Equipment
B7100
Aug 6, 2019
New Florence,Pa
Thanks for the replies,sounds like more of a repair job than I choose to take on ! Is the grinding something in side the trans or the pto ? sounds like gears not meshing somewhere !

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
check the hydraulic oil level.

also, rereading lugbolt's post, wise advise to take the transmission apart to get all the fragments. out. I did not do that then but am doing it now as a major leak has developed. I had flushed it but I suspect a remaining fragment damaged seals.

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I need a for parts GR... let me know...lol

Reactions: 1 user

Al thomas

Equipment
B7100
Aug 6, 2019
New Florence,Pa
I think the owner will be unhappy when I share all the "good" feedback on this machine !! I'm a pretty fair mech. but I think I'll pass on this repair !! I mow with 45-50 yr old cub cadets and have very few issues,and they're easily repaired !!

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Honestly I could use a whole one. I don't know if this one has a good pto or trans. Mine is missing hood/ rusted up fender pan, other misc. parts. What do you want for the whole thing?
I could use (rad assembly, rear fender pan, hood parts, seat brackets, rear trans. Enough to go on a pallet
I don't need the frame, deck, front axle, steering controller, or wheels/tires unless they are the bar tires.

Lugbolt is correct on their issues, but I am hooked with the concept of it being 4wd, and 4ws.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Had they used a beefier transmission, they would be a great mower. They cut wonderful. They drive good. A little slow but my goodness it's a rider-they're most all slow in comparison to ZT's. Diesel engine sips fuel. I like everything about them except the fact that they don't turn tight enough and the transmission.

Honestly it should not sour anyones' taste for Kubota products. It was purely a screwup in engineering, it was not tested long enough, and most don't maintain them very well-and use them fairly hard. I mean, after all, it IS 4wd and it is a diesel isn't it? It should be tough-and it is, well most of it is. Every manufacturer has a sour note. Deere? F620 and F680 Z-track. Junk. Old Gator 6x4. Again, junk. They had quite a bit of stuff that was subpar, and they still do. There was also a V-twin diesel riding mower that did not sell well, also garbage. Lightweight V-twin diesel that vibrated your filling out at low speeds, a little noisy, wasn't stellar on fuel, and the rest of the mower wasn't just great either. Just a few examples. The GR2100 and 2110 were the redheaded stepchildren of the GR series, the 2120 has many updates to the transmission and glide-steer system. Longevity? I cant' speak for those, only been out a few years and most folks that buy them don't put a lot of hours on them.

What I wish they'd have done is kept the old G1800/G1900 around, and added electric power steering to it. They'd have had a top seller. That was the only complaint, especially the 2 wheel steer versions. The 4 wheel steer versions were easier to drive than the 2 wheels steer, they were fast, smooth, cut good, and built like tanks but no power steering.

But from a marketing standpoint not many folks want to spend $10K or more on a mower that won't cut any faster or better than a zero turn does, which a lot of times costs less and is a lot easier to work on, cuts better, drives better, more fun to operate, etc. Typically the folks that buy conventional riders are older and/or femaie buyers that are not willing to learn (or try to learn) how to operate a ZT. That's where JD owns the market. They still make a bunch of cheap throwaway riders that appeal to that market and they sell the pee out of them, lowes, homer depot, etc--mass markets. Make them cheap and sell a bunch of them. Kubota doesn't really do that, but I can see it coming sooner or later. I worked for Deere (a dealer) in the late 1980's and up until 2004, and I saw what Deere did to the smaller dealers, and am seeing the same things happening with Kubota so I don't think it'll be long. I'm surprised that the Z231 isn't seen at big box stores honestly.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I see Messick's sells a complete updated transmission kit with bearings instead of bushings for $350. Obviously a feel bad handout from kubota. I noticed the gr2120 has a redesigned pto assembly as well. Too hard to tell from parts diagrams if it is backwards compatible.
Im not a lady Lugbolt, but your right... Ask any insurance person who drives most corvettes...I have a tg1860 which is probably my favorite rider. I just wish the green plastic hoods were not so cheaply made, and pricy to replace.

Mcandrew

Equipment
GR2110
May 25, 2021
Roanoke,Va
Well, I have a good transmission, drive train, seat bracket, hood, engine, deck. The battery caught on fire, burned the dash, wiring, melted some of the radiator, and smoldered most of the rubber mat on the floorpan. Its not terrible, but needs to be cleaned, scraped, and painted. I was hoping to get 1500 out of the good parts. Dad had all the servicing done by the dealer, and looks in good shape. I found a local unit with a bad pto for around 2k, and another several hours away for 1500 missing a deck. Maybe its worth it I dunno. Id still have a bunch of extra good parts Id either have to store or try to sell.

jveneziano

Equipment
BX23STLBM
Jan 24, 2021
ohio
Well, I have a good transmission, drive train, seat bracket, hood, engine, deck. The battery caught on fire, burned the dash, wiring, melted some of the radiator, and smoldered most of the rubber mat on the floorpan. Its not terrible, but needs to be cleaned, scraped, and painted. I was hoping to get 1500 out of the good parts. Dad had all the servicing done by the dealer, and looks in good shape. I found a local unit with a bad pto for around 2k, and another several hours away for 1500 missing a deck. Maybe its worth it I dunno. Id still have a bunch of extra good parts Id either have to store or try to sell.
Do you still have any parts? I’m looking for a PTO assembly for my 2120.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
somebody mentioned LEAKS.

The two most common areas for leaking on the GR transmissions is the axles, and then the PTO area-in that order. Thirdly, if it's been apart and seems to be leaking from the top, many don't understand how the case (housing) works. The vent is a channel that runs through the case. When the case is split open, you can see it. When resealing the cases, they use liquid gasket. Applied incorrectly the sealant plugs up the vent channel and then you can't fill it properly, and if you can, it'll usually puke fluid out of the top, making it look like it's "leaking".

When reassembling, take a piece of starter rope (small stuff like 3/16" dia) and put it into the vent channels. One piece. Then apply the sealant, bolt the cases together, and then draw out your rope. This keeps the vent clean. Trust me, it's even less fun than it sounds, but it's the only way you can do it without getting liquid gasket into the channel.

MBofMB

Equipment
F2560, GR2100
Aug 7, 2018
Carberry, Manitoba CANADA
somebody mentioned LEAKS.

The two most common areas for leaking on the GR transmissions is the axles, and then the PTO area-in that order. Thirdly, if it's been apart and seems to be leaking from the top, many don't understand how the case (housing) works. The vent is a channel that runs through the case. When the case is split open, you can see it. When resealing the cases, they use liquid gasket. Applied incorrectly the sealant plugs up the vent channel and then you can't fill it properly, and if you can, it'll usually puke fluid out of the top, making it look like it's "leaking".

When reassembling, take a piece of starter rope (small stuff like 3/16" dia) and put it into the vent channels. One piece. Then apply the sealant, bolt the cases together, and then draw out your rope. This keeps the vent clean. Trust me, it's even less fun than it sounds, but it's the only way you can do it without getting liquid gasket into the channel.
I tried this. Inserted a wound string (just a little smaller than the slot diameter). After sealing and torquing the halves, I tried pulling the sting out. Almost sliced my hand from pulling and then it broke. Now deciding if I want to start again or just leave it. What a pain in the ass!

Would it really cause a problem left in?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I tried this. Inserted a wound string (just a little smaller than the slot diameter). After sealing and torquing the halves, I tried pulling the sting out. Almost sliced my hand from pulling and then it broke. Now deciding if I want to start again or just leave it. What a pain in the ass!

Would it really cause a problem left in?

Thank you for your time and efforts.
restricts the vent. As heat builds, so does pressure and that pressure will find a place to escape to....maybe a seal?