GPS Theft Protection

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you really mean theft DETECTION, not protection. BIG difference. Detection will mean you get notified someone is stealing your machine. protection would imply 'something' is done to PREVENT the actual theft.
You really want a PERSONAL tracking system NOT one that goes through a 3rd party or the cloud. ALL 3rd parties have 24hr access to GPS data

Reactions: 1 user

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I have the Spot trace on my tractor Small ,and easy to hide. It is internal battery powered But I usually get a year out of the AAA battery’s. Service can be lower if you call them and tell them its too expensive for the year.
Might be a viable option.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I have the Spot trace on my tractor Small ,and easy to hide. It is internal battery powered But I usually get a year out of the AAA battery’s. Service can be lower if you call them and tell them its too expensive for the year.
Might be a viable option.
The Spot Trace also has a power cord to connect to the battery. Looks promising.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Not to deter you OP in your endeavor. I spent some time researching the telematics/gps trackers. Many seem well made and very concealable. However, I would like to point out a cheap scanner off Amazon can be used to find, and quickly remove such devices. A physical/electrical interlock created by you would be another cheap option for you. Most of these machines all share keys anyway... Power tools have made things like chains obsolete as well. Having something out of the norm electrically will give you an edge. Most of these new tractors are common rail. Which in layman's terms, means anything electrical will keep it from running.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
To keep a thied from starting and driving the machine away, you 'simply' plumb in a normally closed 12VDC diesel rated solenoid valve, depending on where in the fuel line it's located, tractor will start and run for a few seconds, then die. The 'fun' is deciding where to put the 'run' switch. You want a location ONLY you know about.
What can be easier, is a simple switch in series with the fuel pump or engine shutoff solenoid. If want to get 'fancy', add a relay and RF rcvr that ONLY 'connects' to your phone or a 'key fob chip' on YOUR keys.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
These fuel shutoff suggestions are great....for a gas engine. Ever try to restart a diesel that's been run out of fuel? I have several ways to try to keep my stuff from being stolen. What I'm looking for now is a way to get it back after a determined thief has taken it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The issue I have with a security company is they won't tell you where your equipment is due to liability. They will only report to law enforcement which is often a waist of time. Besides, I can dish out a far more appropriate punishment to a criminal than any court!
Talk is cheap, but......if you "dish out" anything unduly harsh, YOU will be paying a very heavy price.
In the world of today, courts do not look kindly on vigilante action for property crimes!
I do like your philosophy ......but it is a VERY bad idea!

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To keep a thied from starting and driving the machine away, you 'simply' plumb in a normally closed 12VDC diesel rated solenoid valve, depending on where in the fuel line it's located, tractor will start and run for a few seconds, then die. The 'fun' is deciding where to put the 'run' switch. You want a location ONLY you know about.
What can be easier, is a simple switch in series with the fuel pump or engine shutoff solenoid. If want to get 'fancy', add a relay and RF rcvr that ONLY 'connects' to your phone or a 'key fob chip' on YOUR keys.
Simplest no start option is a hidden battery disconnect.
No idea about a tracking device!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I've had to restart my 'fuelless' BX23S a few times...just followed the owner's manual......
As for the GPS tracker, you WILL need 2 of them. Thieves are SMART. They expect and can find trackers ( most rental places have them on their stuff...). Put one in a 'semi hidden' area, another very well hidden. Idea is the crooks find the 1st one, and away they go NOT knowing the 2nd one is doing it's job.
Now whether you actually get back your equipment depends on how fast YOU find out it's been stolen, what local LEOS are doing, and IF it's still in one piece by the time it gets found.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Talk is cheap, but......if you "dish out" anything unduly harsh, YOU will be paying a very heavy price.
In the world of today, courts do not look kindly on vigilante action for property crimes!
Your statement for me is mostly true except that its a "very bad idea". I no longer have faith in the justice system. That being said, I take care of my own, Government be damned.

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a friend that owns several golf coarses, he gave me a couple trackers to use. I put one inside my front tire (battery lasts about 13mo), and another one up high.

Most likely today you would call the police, give them the address, and wonder why they took 3 days to think about what to do.

I love hearing "its only stuff". I got a real talking down to one day buy a guy that had an issue with me saying "its only stuff".

He pointed out that when you live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and drive nice cars, sure "it's only stuff". When you require it to live, it is no longer "stuff", when you can't afford to replace it, it is no longer "stuff". Since that time I no longer use that phrase and (as he asked) I do notice the types of people that do use the phrase.

Just feel blessed that you have a lot of "stuff" that means nothing more to you than "stuff", at the same time understand that there are a whole lot of people out there that "stuff" has a bigger meaning to.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Late to the party, but this was my first thought too.

AND I certainly do agree with ranger danger's attitude.

But be careful, or as the innocent party you may end up behind bars while the guilty one is outside, probably suing you and likely winning.

Think twice, actually thrice, before taking any action which could come back to haunt you...

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I don't know about you guys but, I have a SUBSTANCIAL investment in my equipment! Between tractor, mini excavator and trailer, I have a crap load of money involved. Theft in this country is at an all time high while arrests and prosecutions are at an all time low. We all know the current state of affairs in the legal system that really hand cuffs Law Enforcement. I'd like to try to protect my investment against theft or, if stolen, I'd like to be able to go get it back! I've looked at some of the GPS tracking devices and I generally like what I see. The problem is I cant find exactly what I'm looking for.
I want a compact GPS device with both internal battery and vehicle power so that if the item is stolen and the battery is disconnected, it will still track for a decent amount of time.
I want it compact enough to hide well so as not to be found by the thief.
I don't want it to be OBD operated since there is no OBD on any of my equipment.
I don't want to have to pay a large sum of money monthly for it to operate.
I don't need it to tell me things like when my next service is due or how fast its going. Just simple accurate location.
I started this thread because I don't believe I'm the only one who wants these things. My hope is that collectively, we can find a system that will work for us.

What say you all?
I know exactly what you mean and looked around like you. Couldn't find a good solution so what I ultimately decided on was prevention. The problem I found with the GPS trackers is that any criminal worth his salt will find and disable them, like throw them in the ditch.

I invested in expanding my Wifi network. I mean EXPANDING it. What I will show you in the photos is unbelievable according to out IT guy at work, but true. I invested in 5 Eero's and now can cover the entire 10 acres--the Front Gate Ring is 187 YARDS from the nearest eero and works flawlessly. I have 6 Ring doorbells (4 shown in the screenshot below from my photo) and have them at the only entrance to the property and one in the barn with my gear. I also have motion sensors that are tied/linked to the cameras/doorbells. I can see what is going on from anywhere. I can also communicate (threaten) with anyone on the property--which may or may not work.

The final thing I have done is invest in this https://www.westechrigging.com/laclede-security-chain-038-kit-9.html although not indestructible--as close as your going to get. I use this on the tiller, golf cart, or other smaller items.

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
WIFI is well 'wireless' and frankly very easy to jam/disable, same as cellphone/smart phone tech.
Smart thives will just slap a magentic based,internal battery powered jammer on the 'item' they're stealing and 'poof' no more communications. Sure, you MAY learn the 'item' might not be where it should be, but.odds are real good, it's gone far,far away.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I invested in expanding my Wifi network. I mean EXPANDING it. What I will show you in the photos is unbelievable according to out IT guy at work,
Seriously, you need a new IT guy at work. You don't currently have an "IT guy" - lol.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Seriously, you need a new IT guy at work.
Probably do..my home has better coverage that my office. But in all seriousness have you ever seen a 'home grade' mesh system travel almost 200 yards.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Apple Airtag. The likelihood of that Airtag hidden away coming in contact with an iphone, imac, ipad, macbook is pretty high. For the that is enough. $25 each, replaceable CR2032 battery.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Probably do..my home has better coverage that my office. But in all seriousness have you ever seen a 'home grade' mesh system travel almost 200 yards.
I consider Unifi home grade, so yes.