GPS Theft Protection

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I don't know about you guys but, I have a SUBSTANCIAL investment in my equipment! Between tractor, mini excavator and trailer, I have a crap load of money involved. Theft in this country is at an all time high while arrests and prosecutions are at an all time low. We all know the current state of affairs in the legal system that really hand cuffs Law Enforcement. I'd like to try to protect my investment against theft or, if stolen, I'd like to be able to go get it back! I've looked at some of the GPS tracking devices and I generally like what I see. The problem is I cant find exactly what I'm looking for.
I want a compact GPS device with both internal battery and vehicle power so that if the item is stolen and the battery is disconnected, it will still track for a decent amount of time.
I want it compact enough to hide well so as not to be found by the thief.
I don't want it to be OBD operated since there is no OBD on any of my equipment.
I don't want to have to pay a large sum of money monthly for it to operate.
I don't need it to tell me things like when my next service is due or how fast its going. Just simple accurate location.
I started this thread because I don't believe I'm the only one who wants these things. My hope is that collectively, we can find a system that will work for us.

What say you all?

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I researched this subject this past summer, and I couldn't find anything close to what you are describing. The best tracking devices had high maintenance costs involved, but they were inexpensive when considering the cost of what they protect. The best ones are those that are tracked 24/7 by a security firm, however, they are expensive.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
The issue I have with a security company is they won't tell you where your equipment is due to liability. They will only report to law enforcement which is often a waist of time. Besides, I can dish out a far more appropriate punishment to a criminal than any court!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
Looks like there are several options out there can be wired in or have its own battery.
All have some kind of tracking fee as far as I can see, The Trak-4 is 6.99 a month if paid annual, The Optimus is 12.95 a month and 20% off if paid annual.

Maybe the Samsung SmartTag or Apple Airtag or other similar items would help.

Samsung Smartag.JPG

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Automated sentry guns with a robust friend/foe algorithm.

• Love

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Also:
If you have mini ex, do you have a business? Check your insurance policies, ask some questions.
I've thought about this, driving down the road in a brand new truck, tractor and 4T trailer, well over $100K rolling load going down the road.........

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I understand the op's issue but why not just take reasonable measures to deter theft and also make sure you have good insurance. It's just 'stuff'. It might be stuff you use to make a living but a good insurance policy should give you peace of mind there.
It's been my experience that when a vehicle is stolen you might be better off NOT getting it back. You just never know what was done to it while it was gone.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I understand the op's issue but why not just take reasonable measures to deter theft and also make sure you have good insurance. It's just 'stuff'. It might be stuff you use to make a living but a good insurance policy should give you peace of mind there.
It's been my experience that when a vehicle is stolen you might be better off NOT getting it back. You just never know what was done to it while it was gone.
I understand what your saying, I just don't happen to agree with you. Its MY stuff! If someone steals it, they deserve to be punished. If they are not, then they feel like its ok to steal more stuff! This is a problem of our own creation. We, as a society, are condoning this behavior and it MUST STOP!!
I have insurance and its costing me a small fortune. We need to put on our big boy pants and put a stop to the pussafication of America.
If you knew me, you would know its in my nature to be forgiving only after a lesson has been well learned!

Remember, Dirty Hands Equals Clean Money.

Reactions: 4 users

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Looks like there are several options out there can be wired in or have its own battery.
All have some kind of tracking fee as far as I can see, The Trak-4 is 6.99 a month if paid annual, The Optimus is 12.95 a month and 20% off if paid annual.

Maybe the Samsung SmartTag or Apple Airtag or other similar items would help.

View attachment 68258
THANKS!! There's a couple in there that show some real possibilities!! The Optimus GB100M in particular. It is both wired and internal battery. I wish I could get a break on the fees for having multiples of them. I need 5. At $156 a year each that's $780!!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I agree somewhat. With things how they are, it could be months before equipment is replaced. What would that do to his business in that time?

If no business, then I agree.

JWool

Equipment
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
THANKS!! There's a couple in there that show some real possibilities!! The Optimus GB100M in particular. It is both wired and internal battery. I wish I could get a break on the fees for having multiples of them. I need 5. At $156 a year each that's $780!!
I called and they answered the phone without having to waite, rare today.
anways on 10 or more hard wired devices price drops to $9.95 a month
Tel: (855) 893-0707

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I agree somewhat. With things how they are, it could be months before equipment is replaced. What would that do to his business in that time?

If no business, then I agree.
What has a "Business" got to do with it!! Its MY stuff! DONT STEAL!
More Pussafication.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I called and they answered the phone without having to waite, rare today.
anways on 10 or more hard wired devices price drops to $9.95 a month
Tel: (855) 893-0707
Thanks Mr JWool! After doing some more searching, I've found a few companies who provide the equipment and tracking for a set fee which is substantially less than individual subscriptions and, I can go to an app and see my stuff for myself.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
We use this at work on our fleet vehicles. It probably has to many features and price for just theft protection. I get notices at night when vehicles that I designate are being moved. Weekly movement reports, run and idle time, etc. Works great.

https://www.onestepgps.com/

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
What has a "Business" got to do with it!! Its MY stuff! DONT STEAL!
More Pussafication.
Not trying to argue here, I agree with what you are saying. People shouldn't steal YOUR stuff, yet that is the world we live in. Anything you do to prevent that is better than most.

When I hauled rental equipment, they were GPS'd. We could pull it up at anytime and see within about 10-20ft where something was. Maybe ask the United rentals, Sunbelt, Hertz and Yancy in your area what they are using?

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Not trying to argue here, I agree with what you are saying. People shouldn't steal YOUR stuff, yet that is the world we live in. Anything you do to prevent that is better than most.

When I hauled rental equipment, they were GPS'd. We could pull it up at anytime and see within about 10-20ft where something was. Maybe ask the United rentals, Sunbelt, Hertz and Yancy in your area what they are using?
Thank you sir. I agree that is the world we live in. My point is that we need to change the world we live in and to DEMAND respect for personal property and well being. Its certain the courts wont do it. If someone steals from me or otherwise does me or mine physical or financial harm, I want them punished for that harm. If I cant find them then, no punishment will be executed. I want to find them.

JWool

Equipment
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
Thanks Mr JWool! After doing some more searching, I've found a few companies who provide the equipment and tracking for a set fee which is substantially less than individual subscriptions and, I can go to an app and see my stuff for myself.
I would be interested in what you come up with, I considered the same thing several years ago, pricing has come down a bit, but still a little pricey.