GPS Speedometer

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I have a M9000 with an analog tachometer and gauges. As all tractors I can estimate mph by the chart but want to add a digital speedometer for haying. I see a lot of low priced gps speedometers. The tractor just has a basic radio (no gps) so I do not know it/how a stand alone speedometer works. Is gps service free to use is a stand alone application? Hope some gets it better than I do.
Thanks

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Check out gps units at a local hunting fishing hiking store near you, or online. I think you will find them to be plenty accurate for you. A app on a smartphone may work just fine for you. No charge to receive and use the gps signals from the satellites. A phone type app probably will use some of your data plan. Once you buy the unit your good to go as far as price goes.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Is gps service free to use is a stand alone application?
GPS (Global Positioning System) is a network of US satellites transmitting location data continuously. The signals are not encrypted or scrambled and anyone is able to receive them for free.

GPS devices are just radio receivers that listen in on the satellites and then compute location, speed, distance, etc. from that. Some device manufacturers might charge you a fee for, say, maps that can plot your location based on the GPS data, but there is no charge for the data itself.

A simple GPS speedometer doesnt need a map, just the ability to calculate how fast your location is changing, so it should be a one-time purchase.

geoff

Equipment
b2410 tractor, FM90 topper,RS1200 cultivator,bearcat 4 inch chipper,b1610.
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
I have a little Garmin cycling GPS Speedo, works well and has a few options on it, I find it an asset and it's all free to use.