Got stuck

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
not the first time - but first time on a big hill....

Took my tractor back in the woods to bush hog some trails. One trail has a stream crossing that is more like quick sand - burried my Jeep Cherokee in it once - that's how I found out.

Anyway, one side of the stream the trail goes up a fairly steep hill about 75yd long. I backed down this hill cutting on the way down. Got ready to go back up - R4's said NOPE.....they pulled about 30ft and turned into cheater slicks. It freaking sucks to hit the break when forward momentum stops and start sliding backwards with all 4 wheels locked - been there before plenty of times, but not in an open ROPS tractor. I ended up using the FEL bucket and curling my way to the top.

My land seems to be clay based soil and any dampness on it makes it like grease....slick as snot and just cakes on your tires, boots, whatever. These freaking R4's SUCK BALLS for me on my land unless it's dry as a bone, which it hasn't been many times this year...and back in my woods it never is due to the tree canopy. They DO work very good mowing the grass though, which was one of the main reasons I decided on R4 over the AG tires.

I've got half a mind to make the switch to AGs.....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
JMHO but I don't agree with manufacturers/dealers pushing R4 tires on tractors and making people believe they are just as good as AG tires. On flat dry ground they do fine but put them in the dirt where a tractor belongs and you find yourself in trouble.

Number9, I'm glad you didn't get hurt and were able to share your experience with everyone. Your story may help a new member make a better informed tire choice one day and actually get tractor tires for their tractor.

If it makes a difference I mow my yard with AG tires and have been my entire life. No big secret I don't care much about the yard, but I even mow my Mother's yard with the tractor. As long as I don't make fast sharp turns you never know a tractor was there. I don't blame you, I would ditch the lawn tires and put some tractor tires on your 3800 so it can be used for everything you need. Otherwise you have a really expensive lawn mower / dry weather flat ground tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another option if you infrequently have problems with traction, is to get a set of tire chains. Up here it really doesn't matter what kind of tires you have, if you don't have chains running around in the woods your going to get stuck!

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
my old 8200 2wd has turf tires, I put on a set of tire chains one winter and have never taken them off.
Chains will work for the slipery stuff, just look at a log skidders tires there ag tread with chains.
I haven't had my b2620 with r4's long enough to form a opinion.